Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #31  
I was operating commercial vehicles on the road for over 30 years. I had vehicle inspections done at state scales, even road side inspections, but I have had my tanks dipped exactly once, at the Sumas border crossing when I was coming out of BC with a load of pavers.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #32  
That’s interesting. Seems kind of crappy to ticket him for not having “off road fuel “ on it. Was it for that, or was there no diesel label at all? He’s not a retailer, it’s for his own use, and he wasn’t caught in the act of dispensing from it, so I’m curious what regulation he actually broke , that he was fined for?
You’re always allowed to buy and fuel off road vehicles with on-road diesel if you wish, or simply have to because of availability , so I’m questioning what regulation and reasoning is behind it. I don’t believe it’s DOT, or OSHA. Diesel is diesel, and again he wasn’t caught dispensing from it. Must be some state regulation.
My guess is that the tank had red dye fuel in it but no off-road label, and presumably there's a regulation about that.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #33  
My guess is that the tank had red dye fuel in it but no off-road label, and presumably there's a regulation about that.
That’s my understanding of what the ticket. It seems like it should have been one where a verbal warning to add the off-road only sticker would have been enough. I didn’t hear how much the fine was.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #34  

I figured, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around the sense of it. It’s just a mobile portable diesel storage tank for his own use. Assuming it was already labeled “diesel “. He’s perfectly legal to fill it with taxed, on-road diesel, and transfer and use on-road diesel in his off-road equipment, if he wishes, so the point of whatever regulation he broke is beyond my little brain.

Example … if the off road diesel at the station he filled it at, was out of off road, so he paid more for taxed on-road, because he needed diesel, perfectly legal…and if he now has his off-road sticker on it, would he get another ticket for having filled it with on-road?

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #35  
Usually they will just check your exhaust pipe for the red dye
and the fee for red dye in the exhaust pipe was told $10,000

willy
There is no die in the exhaust pipe, unless you have a real problem with the engine. Its completely consumed in the combustion process.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #36  
Usually they will just check your exhaust pipe for the red dye
and the fee for red dye in the exhaust pipe was told $10,000

willy

I tried to research that and came up with mostly rumors and very little fact. Does anyone have first hand experience with having that done to their vehicles?

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #37  
I tried to research that and came up with mostly rumors and very little fact. Does anyone have first hand experience with having that done to their vehicles?
as far as I know it is all done with tank samples, never heard of exhaust pipe samples other them pollution test.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #38  
The label issue has me thinking..... so our yellow portable jugs would have to be labeled?????

Good grief.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #39  
I worked for Cat for 16 years and know for a fact due to testing and subsequent inspection that there is nothing left of the dye in the exhaust system.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #40  
as far as I know it is all done with tank samples, never heard of exhaust pipe samples other them pollution test.

A tank sample seems like the only way. Even if the exhaust search did work it’s not proof of a crime being committed. It’s not illegal to put red fuel in your pickup and drive it on your farm then drain the tank and replace with highway fuel when you go back on the road.