Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #11  
It's 75 to 80 cents per gallon difference here. The Chevron station began carrying off-road about five years ago.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #12  
The local offroad diesel place has such high prices to begin with that the Walmart sells road fuel cheaper.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #13  
I'm not sure where to purchase red dye diesel. Sometimes I can get regular diesel tax free, but it isn't really worth the effort for a 5 gallon can that lasts me several months. Ask the station attendant
If you heat with fuel oil, pump it out of your storage tank. It's pretty much the same as ULS diesel fuel. I've been doing it for many years.

There has been some debate about this but in some states, it is illegal to drive your tractor regularly on state roads using red (non taxed) fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #14  
Around here the DOT has been known to stop diesel pickup on the highway and "dip" the fuel tank. If dyed diesel is discovered there is a huge fine and they confiscate the pickup!
Not disputing this, but I wonder how they do that with seemingly no legal reason to do a traffic stop and detain?

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #15  
Not disputing this, but I wonder how they do that with seemingly no legal reason to do a traffic stop and detain?

Great question. I agree with you —- unreasonable search and seizure. But - from everything I read is it’s ok.

Can’t see where it’s ever been challenged in court.

Maybe like a DWI checkpoint - but at least there everyone is checked. It’s not completely random based only if you drive a diesel vehicle.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #16  
Great question. I agree with you —- unreasonable search and seizure. But - from everything I read is it’s ok.

Can’t see where it’s ever been challenged in court.

Maybe like a DWI checkpoint - but at least there everyone is checked. It’s not completely random based only if you drive a diesel vehicle.

Challenged in court is the key... I am not anti police, however, they generally do whatever they can get away with.
I would imagine they could stick a diesel tank at a weigh and inspection station, but I don't see how they could get away with sticking a non commercial tank, even if legally stopped for some other reason. Observing someone putting untaxed fuel in a road vehicle would be a different matter.
Police departments NATIONWIDE do some pretty questionable things, like the "Kansas Two Step" .

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #17  
For us its the ministry of transportation that usually check that but cops will also check it out in certain occasion. It come down to are you defrauding the government or not, to me its like do they need a reason to audit your taxes ? same deal ... just like they sometime check you vehicles condition and ask you to do a break test or check your tinted windows or if you have aftermarket parts ... same deal... but I get your point as for some states they need a reason to pull you over but they can make that up... Some say driving on public road is a privilege not a right... In Canada we usually get a few blitz checkpoint a year there will be the cops, ministry of transportation and fish and wildlife at these blitz and you stop for them one by one, first for the cops and they ask you if you have had alcohol or what ever, if not you move forward to the fish and wildlife, they ask about wild games, no, then you move forward the the ministry of transportation and if you are not driving a diesel vehicles and not hauling anything they will tell you to carry on if not they ask you to pull to the side and they will check your fuel and your load weight if hauling something, commercially or not same deal.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #18  
It is hard to understand.

Police can’t randomly stop you, search your trunk to see if you have a murder weapon then arrest you.

But, they can randomly stop you, search your gas tank, and confiscate your vehicle if you have illegal diesel?

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #19  
It is hard to understand.

Police can’t randomly stop you, search your trunk to see if you have a murder weapon then arrest you.

But, they can randomly stop you, search your gas tank, and confiscate your vehicle if you have illegal diesel?

well when you put it like that lol ... but If you have a locking gas cap one could deny access, It is the same as in a DUI check point you don't have to roll your window down and talk to them but good luck getting out of there after, you better not be in a rush to get anywhere.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #20