Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #51  
At my work we also bought clear diesel for our large stationary diesel generators, but we filed with the state yearly to get a reimbursement for the price difference in price were eligible for as they were off/road classified
Ya my boss wont file he doesn't want to deal with the BS paper work he's old school... Lol

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #52  
Ya my boss wont file he doesn't want to deal with the BS paper work he's old school... Lol
😂
I see you’re from the same small state.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #53  
   / Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #54  
The gas stations don't care what color the container is, they just want to make sure your filling cans at the off road pump, not your truck.
So few police in our area, even if one pulled you over for whatever reason, in your car/truck, they have better things to do than go over fuel tanks...

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #55  
The gas stations don't care what color the container is, they just want to make sure your filling cans at the off road pump, not your truck.
So few police in our area, even if one pulled you over for whatever reason, in your car/truck, they have better things to do than go over fuel tanks...
They don't care if you put off road fuel in your truck.. I saw a guy filling milk jugs with gas one day....

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #56  
I figured, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around the sense of it. It’s just a mobile portable diesel storage tank for his own use. Assuming it was already labeled “diesel “. He’s perfectly legal to fill it with taxed, on-road diesel, and transfer and use on-road diesel in his off-road equipment, if he wishes, so the point of whatever regulation he broke is beyond my little brain.

Example … if the off road diesel at the station he filled it at, was out of off road, so he paid more for taxed on-road, because he needed diesel, perfectly legal…and if he now has his off-road sticker on it, would he get another ticket for having filled it with on-road?
The guy cited in my original post had off road diesel in a transfer tank in the back of his pickup, without a label saying it was off road diesel. He is a contractor and had several on road trucks and equipment they dipped but the only thing they found wrong was the missing label.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #57  
Man, what a beat-to-death topic.
Worry about things that might actually be worthy of worry.
No cop is gonna dip a pickup unless you’re known all over town for bragging about running red as OTR fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #58  
I used to buy off highway diesel for the farm, but found that Costco prices are usually within 10-15 cents and sometimes even lower than the cost of off highway fuel. So, I just fill my transfer tank at Costco and then I can use it in whatever machine I want and not have to worry about getting checked, not that I do anyway. Unless your hauling commercially, I don't think anyone really cares that much.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #59  
We used off road diesel on our farm and started having injector pump problems from the dye. Switched to on road diesel and no more injector pump problems. Just file the paperwork work and get a refund for the tax paid

PS. The VA state police would stop by the farm twice a year and dip all our vehicles tanks to make sure there wasn't any off road in them. We had to explain that a lot of the pickup trucks were gasoline , but they still dipped the tanks. Stupidity at its finest

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #60  
We used off road diesel on our farm and started having injector pump problems from the dye. Switched to on road diesel and no more injector pump problems. Just file the paperwork work and get a refund for the tax paid

PS. The VA state police would stop by the farm twice a year and dip all our vehicles tanks to make sure there wasn't any off road in them. We had to explain that a lot of the pickup trucks were gasoline , but they still dipped the tanks. Stupidity at its finest
Stories like that just confirm my reason for questioning, the logic and reasoning for the story of the cop ticketing the guy who didn’t have “off road “ on his portable diesel tank.
They’re going to ignore your label anyway, and physically check it.

I read somewhere, the IRS is somehow ultimately in charge of red diesel regulations. If a local cop is sticking your tanks. I’d say he’s going way “above and beyond “ his duties

Last edited: