Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #61  
   / Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #62  
Man, what a beat-to-death topic.
Worry about things that might actually be worthy of worry.
No cop is gonna dip a pickup unless you’re known all over town for bragging about running red as OTR fuel.

It is very common for us, people get check for that all the time especially during the summer (they aren't as busy). I would assume it depends where you live and what is the industry surrounding your area... If its farms or the wood industry, and you have a diesel and look like you work for one or the other you are more likely to get check.

Last edited:
   / Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #63  
The only time I have seen a mass fuel check was at an auction.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #64  
I’d be more interested in finding a high-quality fuel from a reputable company. I’ve almost never bought diesel anywhere but at Irving or Southern States. They both have 50 cetane, rather than 40 and Irving owns its own refineries. No additives necessary, year-round.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #65  
After 35 years of trucking, it has never happened to me and I don't think I have ever heard of anyone else having it happen. Maybe it's a state by state thing or a Canada thing?

Last edited:
   / Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #66  
I'm with Ortimber -- only difference is color and cost. I would be more concerned about whether your tractor can burn biodiesel. Kubota says don't ever burn bio.

And if I used farm fuel, it would only be from a place (farming community) where they sold a high volume. I sure want to avoid water and other problems with fuel. I use regular vehicle diesel (not bio).

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #67  
After 35 years of trucking, it has never happened to me and I don't think I have ever heard of anyone else having it happen. Maybe it's a state by state thing?
I live in PA, which has one of the highest fuel tax rates in the US. Consequently, tank dipping is done more frequently here than it is in many other states. It's commonly done when diesel vehicles are stopped for other violations.

I burn coal for heat and the coal yard is just 2 miles down the highway. I have oil heat as a backup, and use red fuel from my storage tank in my tractors. To avoid the high coal delivery charge, every week or so, I would take the tractor down to the yard and buy a FEL bucket full.

A couple of years ago, I was stopped by a PA state trooper who saw me doing this on a regular basis. He told me hauling coal was not considered farm use and threatened to dip my tractor tank the next time he caught me. Rather than risk the heavy fine, I now have the coal delivered.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #68  
I’ve seen it done in Illinois also. Only a couple times I can think of. Once was during harvest at an elevator where farmers were off loading.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #69  
I live in PA, which has one of the highest fuel tax rates in the US. Consequently, tank dipping is done more frequently here than it is in many other states. It's commonly done when diesel vehicles are stopped for other violations.

I burn coal for heat and the coal yard is just 2 miles down the highway. I have oil heat as a backup, and use red fuel from my storage tank in my tractors. To avoid the high coal delivery charge, every week or so, I would take the tractor down to the yard and buy a FEL bucket full.

A couple of years ago, I was stopped by a PA state trooper who saw me doing this on a regular basis. He told me hauling coal was not considered farm use and threatened to dip my tractor tank the next time he caught me. Rather than risk the heavy fine, I now have the coal delivered.

Wow. All I can say.

I guess your state is free from any real crime that could be addressed by the state police.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #70  
Now I will admit, I don't know a darn thing about diesel fuels. Never touched a diesel motor, much less owned one before I bought my tractor several months ago. A friend of mine told me to use the off road diesel, since it is significantly cheaper, and basically the same as the on road stuff you would buy for passenger vehicles except for the colored dye to mark the off road stuff.

Then the other day another friend tells me that I shouldn't be using the off road diesel in my tractor, because there are significant deficiencies in the off road stuff, particularly lubrication of engine parts, that are detrimental to the engine.

So, who is correct?

And I sure do hope that there isn't going to be 50 percent saying one, and the other 50 percent saying the other is correct. :/
only thing I have seen is the on road & off road diesel fuels are the same except the off road has a dye in it, this tells DOT if you are using off road diesel in a licenced transportation vehicle this can get you into a lot of trouble if they suspect and check your fuel because of no road tax on off road diesel