Food plot and garden attachments

/ Food plot and garden attachments #1  

caleb90

Bronze Member
Tractor
ih b414
Morning all. I just purchased a tym t25 to complament my 47 acers i just bought. All my previous tractor experiance has been just for fire wood and bushhogging. I want to put in a food plot and garden. My first thought was a 1 bottom plow and a disc. Looking for used ones im going to be about $500-1000 into a usable set. Then i got thinking if there are other options out there that are a general purpose plow? Like a chisel plow? If i went that root would i still need disc harrow? New to this type of stuff so im not sure which way to go. I seen that alot of people like fred caine equipment, luckly he is only a 20min drive from where i live. Maybe i could pick something uo direct. Whats my best bang for buck? Thanks

/ Food plot and garden attachments #2  
All grounds are different,some easier than others.Mine is very rocky and shallow.
I own;a single bottom($150 or so),roto-tiller,two sets of 2 bottom plows and a spring tooth cultivator.
Tough for me to use the 2 bottoms;very rocky,my single bottom(potatoe plow) is a lot slower but works.
Roto-tiller has seen a lot of use after ground is broken.My spring tooth cultivator is great on broken ground,does a good job and fast.Purchsed at Tractor Supply,not a lot of moving parts and 5ft.wide.
We do about ten acres per year.Brush hog down any remaining and use the cultivator for the most part.We are not farming ,just food plots.Corn,soybeans,sorgum and sunflowers.
Disc on small tractors and hard ground are about useless unless you plow first.Still not too helpfull.

Last edited:
   / Food plot and garden attachments
My soil is mostly clay. Not a terrible amount of rock

/ Food plot and garden attachments #4  
I think you're going to have trouble finding a chisel plow that a TYM 25 will lift, let alone pull at depth.

/ Food plot and garden attachments #5  
I think you would be happiest with a Fred Cain plow and rototiller. It will pull easiest with your tractor and break up your clay soil deeper than other plow designs. Then finish by rototilling. That’s what I do.

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...tor-85in-bar-p/fc-field-cultivator-cain-7.htm

I think you would be happiest with a Fred Cain plow and rototiller. It will pull easiest with your tractor and break up your clay soil deeper than other plow designs. Then finish by rototilling. That’s what I do.

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...tor-85in-bar-p/fc-field-cultivator-cain-7.htm
Id love to have a tiller but cant afford one right now. Trying to come up with a plan for about 1grand..

/ Food plot and garden attachments #7  
Id love to have a tiller but cant afford one right now. Trying to come up with a plan for about 1grand..
A single bottom turn plow (or if easier/cheaper to find, a double with 1 removed) will do the vast majority. After that, you can smooth/break up the clumps with 5 tires chained together, behind the tractor, chainlink fence, rail road rail, I-beam, a truck bumper, ect; anything heavy and cheap. A disc would work well in a sandy soil, but may not break up a clay soil very well, but would probably work fine with 5 passes or so, and then drag some tires/chainlink ect behind to break up the clumps.

A single bottom turn plow (or if easier/cheaper to find, a double with 1 removed) will do the vast majority. After that, you can smooth/break up the clumps with 5 tires chained together, behind the tractor, chainlink fence, rail road rail, I-beam, a truck bumper, ect; anything heavy and cheap. A disc would work well in a sandy soil, but may not break up a clay soil very well, but would probably work fine with 5 passes or so, and then drag some tires/chainlink ect behind to break up the clumps.
I was thinking the disc to break everg thing up after plowing. I have seen chainlink fence used before but never gave it a thought

/ Food plot and garden attachments #9  
I might have just what you’re looking for! And I’ll give you a great price on it if you’re interested.

Attachments

• Lift 1.jpg
    Lift 1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 161
  • Plow 2.jpg
    Plow 2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 165
I forgot to mention, the field where the food plot is going has never been touched and has not been brushhogged in many years. Has alot of saplings in it and vegitation.