Food plot and garden attachments

/ Food plot and garden attachments #11  
I have several meadows scattered around my 80 acres. Typically dark, acid soil with a few rocks. I started developing a garden with - single bottom moldboard plow and disk harrow. It required quite a few passes with the harrow to get things broken up fine enough.

Knowing what I ended up with - about one acre of garden - I would have been way ahead just using a pto driven rototiller. No fence lines to worry about and a single pass or two would have completed the preparation task.

/ Food plot and garden attachments #12  
The field where the food plot is going has never been touched and has not been brushhogged in many years. Has alot of saplings in it and vegitation.

Your tractor will not pull an All Purpose Plow under these conditions. An All Purpose Plow is a secondary tillage implement. If you decide for an APP your one ton TYM T25 will pull at max a three-tine model.

I suggest a one bottom moldboard plow, 12" width or 14" width. A sharp, straight one bottom 12" moldboard plow will turn approximately 1/5 of an acre per hour.

More on APP: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/watched/threads

Last edited:
   / Food plot and garden attachments #13  
Morning all. I just purchased a tym t25 to complament my 47 acers i just bought. All my previous tractor experiance has been just for fire wood and bushhogging. I want to put in a food plot and garden. My first thought was a 1 bottom plow and a disc. Looking for used ones im going to be about $500-1000 into a usable set. Then i got thinking if there are other options out there that are a general purpose plow? Like a chisel plow? If i went that root would i still need disc harrow? New to this type of stuff so im not sure which way to go. I seen that alot of people like fred caine equipment, luckly he is only a 20min drive from where i live. Maybe i could pick something uo direct. Whats my best bang for buck? Thanks
STAY AWAY FROM THE CHINESE TITAN AND ESPECIALLY VEVOR---GO TO YOUR DEALER OR TO TRACTOR SUPPLY OR RURAL KING FOR AMERICAN MADE--YOU WONT EVER REGRET IT..

/ Food plot and garden attachments #14  
Morning all. I just purchased a tym t25 to complament my 47 acers i just bought. All my previous tractor experiance has been just for fire wood and bushhogging. I want to put in a food plot and garden. My first thought was a 1 bottom plow and a disc. Looking for used ones im going to be about $500-1000 into a usable set. Then i got thinking if there are other options out there that are a general purpose plow? Like a chisel plow? If i went that root would i still need disc harrow? New to this type of stuff so im not sure which way to go. I seen that alot of people like fred caine equipment, luckly he is only a 20min drive from where i live. Maybe i could pick something uo direct. Whats my best bang for buck? Thanks

/ Food plot and garden attachments #15  
Spring tooth cultivator and a tiller will do the job. Forget the disc...haven't used my disc in years.

/ Food plot and garden attachments #16  
I forgot to mention, the field where the food plot is going has never been touched and has not been brushhogged in many years. Has alot of saplings in it and vegitation.
All ground is different. If you have little topsoil plowing isnt going to help. Use a lasagna method to build soil health.

We have heavy clay so started with wood chips and layer on leafs every fall. No tilling and very little weeds. We feed a family of 5 this way.

For food plots just spray and broadcast. No need to get fancy for wildlife.

/ Food plot and garden attachments #17  
All ground is different. If you have little topsoil plowing isnt going to help. Use a lasagna method to build soil health.

We have heavy clay so started with wood chips and layer on leafs every fall. No tilling and very little weeds. We feed a family of 5 this way.

For food plots just spray and broadcast. No need to get fancy for wildlife.
I dont 100% disagree, However, many times, putting the good stuff a few inches under protects the top soil. If you're dealing with a very shallow organic layer and sand underneath, getting the organics/top soil mixed into the soil about 4-6" will help protect what little you have.

/ Food plot and garden attachments #18  
My soil is mostly clay. Not a terrible amount of rock
Get a neighbor to plow it for you first time thru with a 15-18 btm plow or moldboard plow. Thats what we did.

Then you need to work on the soil health. Clay is ok once you add in soil organic matter and that takes some time - a few years.

Can add in some local manure and then till that in first year that helps a lot.

We have a 72" rototiller and a 2 disc hiller with springs and a tooth. Works pretty good once you have decent soil and get all the big rocks out. Thats the hard part with clay.

The benefit of the 18" moldboard plow is you get your soil completely turned over 180 degrees. There are not a ton of weed seeds that deep. This only needs to happen 1x - why I suggested making friends with your local farmer. They typically run that plow in the spring after the snow melt and after they spread manure. If they need to plant a new field that's one of the tools for the job and also great for starting a garden.

Don't bother purchasing a single or double plow. I've never needed one since my neighbor helped us out. ymmv

/ Food plot and garden attachments #19  
Since you already have a bushog, I'd make do with a box blade and a harrow for food plots, especially with ground in that condition. If you have a really big garden, a rototiller is almost a must. My garden is 25'x75' and I find a walk behind troybuilt is better suited for it. If it were bigger, I'm sure my opinion would change :)

One question we didn't really ask is how big of a food plot are we talking about? I've seen food plots the size of my garden, and I've seen food plots that were 5-10 acres.

/ Food plot and garden attachments
Going to be a half acer food plot. And a 40x40 garden