trailering your utility tractors

/ trailering your utility tractors #31  
A lot of companies have banned the use of lever binders in their business due to the potential that they can 'pop' open. While I still have my old lever binders, I switched to ratchet style years ago after I had a number of instances where they did come loose.

/ trailering your utility tractors #32  
I use chains, and sometimes straps when it makes sense. I have one spring tensioned chain binder that works great, wish I could find more of them.

Chains are best.

/ trailering your utility tractors #33  
I don't haul the old Ford much. I was using chains, but may change to ratchet straps, or a combination of the two. Overall, it isn't that heavy, and perhaps even lighter than hauling a pickup.

My main attachments go forward or back, and I like to have 2 independent attachments for any item going in each direction (weaving a single strap back and forth doesn't count). That way, if a single attachment (strap/chain) is lost, I will still have something securing the load.

My flatbed often looks like it was attacked by Spiderman!!!

I.E. A tractor would get about 4 straps or chains.

/ trailering your utility tractors
Well I talked to the local law enforcement here and they recommended at least 2 straps or chains in the rear as long as they were strong enough or weight limitations I should say. Then at least 1 chain or strap in the front with the same weight limits on it. So I am going to mock it up on the trailer and give it a test drive sometime this week. I only have to go 10 miles to my other property to do some clean-up.

/ trailering your utility tractors #36  
As Dave M said -- depends on what you are hauling! My main criteria is to ensure that that the momentum of that object does not bring it forward on the trailer and into me and the truck. If that is an 800 lb small Kubota (on a 14ft trailer with strong perimeter rails going 12 miles away) a couple of straps is sufficient. If it is the 9,000 lb MF 2660 with 1000 lb bucket on the loader and a 1460 lb 7ft bush hog on it that takes the multiple 3/8" chains and not the 5/16" lighter ones. And of course proportional grades in between for less heavy loads.
I treat stopping forward motion in a potential collision as the #1 driver. Second is keeping the tires under significant force downward onto the trailer bed where brakes and gears help, and Third is prevention of other motion such as that caused by steep hills, rear end collisions, side hits, deep unforeseen potholes, etc.
How does 12 miles make a difference? What if it’s 13 miles? Do you tie it down differently for 12 vs 13? Now matter if it’s 1 mile or 1000 miles the driver is totally responsible to assure the load will not shift. Way too many catastrophes because “ I was only going 5 miles”. I know of a skid steer that was being moved less than 2 miles on a trailer. Made it 300 yards down the highway and dumped it Into the oncoming lane of traffic. Another incident where the guy was repositioning a trailer less than 20 feet. It was loaded with a JohnDeere tractor. Didn’t secure it properly and sent it off the trailer and it rolled out into the roadway. Don’t be an idiot. Tie it down in every direction it could possibly move.

Last edited:
   / trailering your utility tractors #37  
A lot of companies have banned the use of lever binders in their business due to the potential that they can 'pop' open. While I still have my old lever binders, I switched to ratchet style years ago after I had a number of instances where they did come loose.
I have been told (by several who think they know) that lever type binders are not legal in many Eastern states and you can be ticketed for using them. I do notice many stores are phasing out and no longer carry lever type; only carry ratchet type. My view is that my own engineering judgement takes precedence over regulations and speculation and is what keeps ME SAFE. To heck with the regulators and inspectors. Since I do not do commercial hauling (and have never in 30 plus years ever been pulled over for some hauling violation) I can afford it if I get pulled over. Amortize it over 31 years. As for lever type binders, I use them if I run out of the others on a given load. BUT I always wrap the levers around the binder body with a good tight bungy cord so they cannot pop loose or get loose due to lack of tension. Makes them just as safe as the ratchet types. Easy fix. I posted my tie down criteria and habits in a previous post...

/ trailering your utility tractors #38  
I have been told (by several who think they know) that lever type binders are not legal in many Eastern states and you can be ticketed for using them. I do notice many stores are phasing out and no longer carry lever type; only carry ratchet type. My view is that my own engineering judgement takes precedence over regulations and speculation and is what keeps ME SAFE. To heck with the regulators and inspectors. Since I do not do commercial hauling (and have never in 30 plus years ever been pulled over for some hauling violation) I can afford it if I get pulled over. Amortize it over 31 years. As for lever type binders, I use them if I run out of the others on a given load. BUT I always wrap the levers around the binder body with a good tight bungy cord so they cannot pop loose or get loose due to lack of tension. Makes them just as safe as the ratchet types. Easy fix. I posted my tie down criteria and habits in a previous post...

I have heard that the lever style binders are no longer legal (federally) for commercial carriers. Federal regs do not apply to non commercial carriers although some states may use them as guides.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / trailering your utility tractors #39  
Ken -- I am confused about your post #38 -- no longer legal for commercial carriers but regs do not apply to commercial carriers ?? Contradiction.

/ trailering your utility tractors #40  
Ken -- I am confused about your post #38 -- no longer legal for commercial carriers but regs do not apply to commercial carriers ?? Contradiction.

Sorry, my typing is terrible any more. I caught the other ten typos, missed that one. Corrected: does not apply to NON commercial carriers.

Thanks for the catch.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR