Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Some people have got together in one of our communities and are planning on installing a huge multi-acre solar farm on property adjacent to my daughter's and sister-in-law's property. They will be surrounded to the north and south of their properties and across the road. Their property value will go to nearly nothing.

Has anybody fought the installation of one of these?

Any ideas?

RSKY

Last edited:
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #2  
Go see a lawyer to discuss whether the neighbor is creating a nuisance by installing a solar farm. You need to independently research the impact because the lawyer may be experienced in law, but probably won't have first hand knowledge of what really happens when a solar farm is installed. The lawyer should be able to guide you about the legal process, but I doubt will have experience in the real world impact. So you will need to be able to fill in the facts.

Your lawyer may be able to do an internet search of any cases involving solar farms so you can identify someone who has fought this before. You might be able to get first hand information from someone who has actually fought it if you can figure out who has had a case like this.

Local zoning laws may also play into this if you have any zoning restrictions.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #3  
I feel sorry for your daughter. We have had several large scale solar projects in our area the last couple of years, they are installed on good agriculture lands.
I have several very mixed feelings on this type of project. I believe that they should be installed on marginal ground, pasture , brush lots and such not on good arable ground.
Also the appearance of these things is not the nicest view in the world.
Then we have the other side;
it is their property, it is theirs to do with as they see fit, they are the ones paying the taxes on that property, they are trying to make some money off their property.
It is private property what right does someone have to tell property owners what to do with their private property.

Besides look at the bright side it could be a 5000 head hog farm, or 20,000 unit poultry setup.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #4  
Good Topic.
Just curious, why dont you want them? Is it just the appearance?
I live in the mountains so we dont have any around here.
There has been some talk of windmills though

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #5  
If the neighbors are paying for this themselves I find it hard to believe there is a monetary payback.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #6  
I suspect if there are no zoning laws to prevent this and you can't buy the land in question, you probably don't have any recourse. I know if I wanted to put a solar farm on all of my 100 acres there's nothing anyone around me could do to prevent it. That's why my house sits dead center of my 100 acres, well close to it.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #7  
If the neighbors are paying for this themselves I find it hard to believe there is a monetary payback.
Just curious what you base this on? With all the federal programs and power company buy back I would think it would be a payback. Just my thinking, I don't have anything to base it on in Kentucky. The way he worded it almost sounds like if a group got together to do it, it may be for personal use anyway.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #8  
I feel sorry for your daughter. We have had several large scale solar projects in our area the last couple of years, they are installed on good agriculture lands.
I have several very mixed feelings on this type of project. I believe that they should be installed on marginal ground, pasture , brush lots and such not on good arable ground.
Also the appearance of these things is not the nicest view in the world.
Then we have the other side;
it is their property, it is theirs to do with as they see fit, they are the ones paying the taxes on that property, they are trying to make some money off their property.
It is private property what right does someone have to tell property owners what to do with their private property.

Besides look at the bright side it could be a 5000 head hog farm, or 20,000 unit poultry setup.
Thats the stance I take....

Comes up in my little rural area often....usually people whining on facebook.

A large Dollar Tree distribution facility just went up a few years ago right next to the interstate in what was once a farm field.

Had lots of people in an uproar.

Its the "out of sight-out of mind" mentality. Everyone realizes we need things like distribution centers, power plants, landfills, and yes....solar farms.

No one cares and no one says a peep about unless its in YOUR neck of the woods.

I dont want anyone telling me what I can and cannot do on MY property. So I understand the logic of why some think they can dictate what others can and cannot do.

Personally, Im not going anywhere. And I'd gladly welcome a solar farm surrounding my place making my property value (AND TAXES) plummet to nothing;)

Status
Not open for further replies.