Learning how to drive with a trailer..

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #31  
Modern mirrors on the right side, that make everything look farther away and smaller, have messed up my backing more than once.

Bruce

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #32  
What truck would have a tow package without a hitch? Does the truck have a trailer wire plug yet?
When I bought my 1990 F250 I optioned a trailer tow package rather than a camper package and a hitch receiver was not a factory available option. It did have a hole in the bumper for a ball that I have never used. Not sure when this changed.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #33  
Everyone who starts into towing trailers, forgets about it and runs it into something...
I'm competent with the type of trailers I have and have run into stuff in the driveway at home because I was too lazy to get out and look when I knew I was close to something.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #34  
If you have a passenger and need to back up into a confined space, bring a loud whistle with you and have them blow it hard if you are about to hit something. You will feel less stupid than if you cause damage. Some people use a walkie-talkie.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #35  
#1 rule I always obeyed was to roll down the window 3" so that you could hear if a child or some one was yelling at you in case of an emergency.

I delivered a tractor to a customer that didn't tell me that there would be over 30 people there for a tractor party, filming every move and kids running around wild!

Talk about being careful... They were on the trailer before I even stopped in the front yard to unload.:mad:

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #36  
When I bought my 1990 F250 I optioned a trailer tow package rather than a camper package and a hitch receiver was not a factory available option. It did have a hole in the bumper for a ball that I have never used. Not sure when this changed.
That bumper hole is useless. If your going to tow get a receiver hitch.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #37  
#1 rule I always obeyed was to roll down the window 3" so that you could hear if a child or some one was yelling at you in case of an emergency.

I delivered a tractor to a customer that didn't tell me that there would be over 30 people there for a tractor party, filming every move and kids running around wild!

Talk about being careful... They were on the trailer before I even stopped in the front yard to unload.:mad:
Reminds me of driving a horse team in a parade. The float in front of me was throwing candy to Kids. Parents and kids all over the place in front of me. Pissed me off.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #38  
That bumper hole is useless. If your going to tow get a receiver hitch.
On several levels bumper mounted balls are poor. There capacity is low and how do you get your ball at the correct height to match your trailer? A receiver hitch allows you to change it. I might have 4 of various heights to work with different trailers...

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #39  
Reminds me of driving a horse team in a parade. The float in front of me was throwing candy to Kids. Parents and kids all over the place in front of me. Pissed me off.

I used to pull a float in our county fair parade, and they finally banned the candy throwing thing. I would imagine it's even more gut wrenching with horses.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #40  
That day I wanted to try it to see how it worked, it wasn't a big deal. Just need a tape measure, apply a decal to the tongue of the trailer and follow the instructions.
Truck came with multiple stickers so you could set up a few trailers.

I did find that it steers way more, and faster than I do to back a trailer up straight.
I've got the Ford Backup Assist because it came with the tow package. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid for it because I can back up a trailer. It does adjust more and faster than I would but it has some sort of algorithm that keeps it well away from jack knifing, which is kind of nice.