Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what???

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #31  
BTW our tax assessor personally looks at all properties at least every other year, so you still get taxed...but to get something removed just tell him/her while they are there.
As does ours. Rightfully so.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #32  
You said permits... not inspections. Inspections have their place and you can always hire an inspector. A permit is PERMISSION to do something on your property no matter how minor. If I want a livestock run in or chicken coop why should I need permission? If I need a shed or container for storage, need a permit? Next I'll need permission to own a dog or 10, or how many rabbits I can raise. My neighbor just put in mile and miles of water lines for his cattle no permission required, neither did his new giant hay barns. He just bought a Dozer cleared a few acres and up they went.

If I don't do it right I pay the price.

As for the smoke detectors that could be handy to know supper died again, had to remove the smoke detectors so she quit setting it off 3 times a day....
To me they are both intertwined cause you need the permit to get an inspection in my area. Yes I totally agree permits can get out of hand. I lived briefly in a hoa neighborhood I envisioned them grabbing pitchforks and torches when I did welding, worked on the cars, or parked and opened the popup camper. They seemed relieved when we moved.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #33  
Good post.

This condition has to at some time stall the new home build market. I haven't saw any slow down here yet. Being rural our choices of builders is small. The good ones are booked out two years. $500 p/sqft is completely undoable for me. I struggled with $120 p/sqft. A small acreage here, 20 acres or less, will bring $7K p/acre. A rough 40 acres of timber will bring $4.5K p/acre. Good tillable land will bring $8K p/acre. Rich bottom ground will bring $9K p/acre.
$500 Was a complete non-starter for me also. So I am proud to say my house was delivered on a truck…

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #34  
$500 Was a complete non-starter for me also. So I am proud to say my house was delivered on a truck…
Not trying to spot you, just generally, what part of Colorado are you in? We Jeep there a lot. Have a "Brother" that lives in Alamosa. Wife's family live in Springs and Littleton.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #35  
Manufactured homes have come a long way. In my area they are incredibly popular. The reasons are simple, it is almost impossible to have a house built in a reasonable amount of time since there are no workers available. Second, construction starts at $500 sq/ft for a builder grade stick built house. Mostly since the wait is so long they can charge whatever they want.
Its the same here.
Manufactured homes are by far the most popular in our area.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what???
How about a large (300sf) Tiny home? I would do that if I had no kids at home but a little hard with kids. But probably not any harder than an RV. The tiny home if built on a trailer could be sold later too.

I've proposed that idea to one of my sons. I would absolutely live in one.
We passed the tiny home lot yesterday. Prices started at $69k

I found a couple of used fifth wheel campers with a king-size bed and 3 slides for less than that with a quick online search last night

Interesting, when I built my place, I was unaware of minimum size requirements by the township/county until I applied for my building permit and reviewed township regulations. 600 sq ft minimum for a mobile home or traditionally built to get a building and eventually occupancy permit specifically. And my place is pretty far in the stix.
Tiny homes are becoming the rage. I wonder how that would be handled in your area.

I don't know of any minimum size requirements here. But I'll be sure to ask the builder when I call them tomorrow.

Go down most rural roads here and you'll find a random camper tucked up to a light pole on a piece of property.

That's been really popular here since the area became a super popular place to move during the pandemic.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #38  
Try to get what you really want on the first pass because prices will probably keep going up. What do you and your wife really want?

You could buy a garage kit or portable building and convert it to a tiny home yourself.

If there is any new road construction in your area, sometimes you can buy a house for cheap that's in the way of the road and have it moved by a professional house mover.

My wife and I have been together 20yrs. She's a "city" girl. Never lived anywhere that didn't have restrictions or codes. I was living on 20 acres with house and shop when we got together. We lived there 15 years. Then we built our house and shop here on our farm. She was very concerned about meeting codes, restrictions, and pleasing inspectors. It took a couple weeks before I convinced her there were none. The final point was made when I took her to the Courthouse and into the Assessor's office. "Lila, tell Terry what we need for permits, etc., to build our house". Lila said nothing, do whatever you want. Terry was speechless. I love where I live. Especially when people talk about living rural but then dealing with all sorts of limitations. :cool:
Our county has building, electrical, and septic permits for sure. I'm not sure about the plumbing.

Now, there are areas here in the state where they don't care what you do.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #40  
My folks live happily in a double wide placed on a full walkout basement, since they retired over 20 yrs ago it's held up very well and really happy with qaulity.