12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #201  
That right th
FINALLY.......SHE HAS A VEHICLE ORDERED.

She called a dealership four hours away and they are getting a vehicle just like she wants at the end of the month. At first contact they wanted $10,000 over list. Daughter said she started laughing at the salesman. Told him no way was she giving over list price. Hung up on him. They talked back and forth several times over the week and he called her Friday and said the vehicle was hers. List price, down to the penny. But it is exactly what she wanted down to the options and color. Told them she would back out if they added a bunch of 'dealer options' on it.

RSKY
That right there is a big reason I ordered a new Tesla. I really dislike arguing and pulling out hair trying to nail down a "fair" deal with a dealer.
I hope the daughter does not have to go through more headaches when the final deal is being done.
Good that she told them no BS will be tolerated on this final negotiated price.
ps. Tesla has their own can of worms when taking delivery like having to refuse a bad build and such or after purchase timely Quality service.
That is where having a dealer is nice.
Here is Hoping the vehicle is in great shape and she doesn't have to fight to keep them to what they Already agreed to on the negotiated price.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #202  
I bought new Mazda in October under MSRP, it was on a boat when I put a deposit on it. Some dealers more greedy.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!
I know this is easier said than done, especially in a rural area, but I would go to another dealer.

I've dealt with similar shenanigans from dealers in the past and will no longer deal with them. 10 years ago, I was lucky enough to find one who is fair & reasonable and we've since bought 4 vehicles from them. They don't always offer the lowest price but are usually within the range I'm willing to pay. They quote me their best price up front with no argument or negotiation needed.

Here's an example. In 2020, I placed an order for a 2021 pickup. The order was cancelled due to supply chain issues. The dealer reordered the 2022 version of the same truck but honored the original 2021 price. It was a long wait though. All totaled, it took 18 months.

I'm currently in the process of ordering a new 2023 SUV from the same dealer. The order was placed in Sept of 2022 but, as of last week, it hadn't been accepted for production. The dealer says it may not make the production cut off date for the current model year. As a result, he is searching other dealerships within a 300 mile radius for an identical vehicle. If they succeed, there will be no difference in price and they will credit my deposit from the original order toward the substitute vehicle price. More than fair IMO.

This is a family owned business that makes their money on repeat customers. I'm sure there are many reputable dealers out there who operate the same way. The trick is to find one.

That was then, this is now. She has called every Toyota dealer within a four hour drive. Most want $1000-10000 non refundable and might get a vehicle in a year. With a new baby on the way she will need the vehicle by June. Apparently from what I have heard talking at church ALL Toyotas are in short supply. Customers hopefully will have long memories of what dealers have tried to do.

RSKY

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #204  
That was then, this is now. She has called every Toyota dealer within a four hour drive. Most want $1000-10000 non refundable and might get a vehicle in a year. With a new baby on the way she will need the vehicle by June. Apparently from what I have heard talking at church ALL Toyotas are in short supply. Customers hopefully will have long memories of what dealers have tried to do.

RSKY
Yup. I thought I needed a new Toyota 4Runner Off-Road model so I checked out dealer's web sites in Nevada, Idaho and Oregon. All showed plenty in stock...but when I called to check, in each case I was told the ones pictured on the web sites were not actually on the lot but were either still being built or in transit. All 4Runners are built in Japan, so a long boat ride. I was told I could get on a waiting list, and in 12 -18 months I might receive something close to what I want. No guarantees as to what options would be on the 4Runner I received. All the ones actually being unloaded off the delivery trucks at the dealerships have been sold months beforehand!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #205  
I know this is easier said than done, especially in a rural area, but I would go to another dealer.
Easier said than done even in mid-sized cities where a couple large scale regional entities own most if not all of the dealerships. Probably easier to find an independent dealership in a rural area that's less attractive to these groups.
The market is rapidly changing in the auto world. Dealers are starting to have inventory on their lots..Some of the higher trim levels are still suffering from the chip shortage so if you need massage seats,, you may have to wait a few more months. That said, the general public is feeling the pinch of inflation and the higher interest rates have made people pulling back from large purchases. ..And those rates now make things unaffordable for many. The next 18 months expect it to shift to a buyers market for those who have the means.
Let's hope so. It would be nice if, as supplies increase that there choices other than the most option-loaded models available. I wonder how many buyers end up getting something with all the bells & whistles simply because that's all there was. Then again, there's gotta be a lot of pent-up demand, so I'm thinking it's gonna be a seller's market for some time to come. :mad:

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #206  
Easier said than done even in mid-sized cities where a couple large scale regional entities own most if not all of the dealerships. Probably easier to find an independent dealership in a rural area that's less attractive to these groups.

Let's hope so. It would be nice if, as supplies increase that there choices other than the most option-loaded models available. I wonder how many buyers end up getting something with all the bells & whistles simply because that's all there was. Then again, there's gotta be a lot of pent-up demand, so I'm thinking it's gonna be a seller's market for some time to come. :mad:
Inventory here is stacking up on Ford and GM dealers lots.. Toyotas are still in short supply...But if you are looking for a F250/350...There are plenty to be had. The upper trim levels are somewhat scarce and it appears that the diesels are still not all that available. But Lariat and XLTs..plentiful

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #207  
Inventory here is stacking up on Ford and GM dealers lots.. Toyotas are still in short supply...But if you are looking for a F250/350...There are plenty to be had. The upper trim levels are somewhat scarce and it appears that the diesels are still not all that available. But Lariat and XLTs..plentiful
That's totally opposite of out here.... only high dollar, optioned to the hilt, sitting on the lots. And there are only a handful!

I have been dealing with a Toyota dealer for 6 months now.... I want an SR version, 4x4, double cab with an 8' bed. A real unicorn..... there are only 15 in the entire nation! Toyota will not "order" a truck..... only what they want to ship to the dealers in their 'allotment'.... and you have to put a deposit on it sight unseen. It is refundable though.

Just today, the dealer called me, said he would give me a great deal on an "SR5 version".... he discounted $1 k off msrp and removed the $2 K "dealer addendum" (which is BS anyway). Even with the discounts, it's still $4K more than the SR and it had a short bed....and didn't have the couple of options that I wanted (about $1200 worth).... told him nope!

I'm going to wait.... don't 'have to have it right now' ....

I did tell them that a RAM dealer had a 1500 with more than I wanted -- a lot more, for $500 more than his 'discounted' price! (The RAM dealer knocked off $4200 off msrp.) (only reason I didn't get the RAM was because it was a short bed)

I'll just wait ---

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #208  
That's totally opposite of out here.... only high dollar, optioned to the hilt, sitting on the lots. And there are only a handful!

I have been dealing with a Toyota dealer for 6 months now.... I want an SR version, 4x4, double cab with an 8' bed. A real unicorn..... there are only 15 in the entire nation! Toyota will not "order" a truck..... only what they want to ship to the dealers in their 'allotment'.... and you have to put a deposit on it sight unseen. It is refundable though.

Just today, the dealer called me, said he would give me a great deal on an "SR5 version".... he discounted $1 k off msrp and removed the $2 K "dealer addendum" (which is BS anyway). Even with the discounts, it's still $4K more than the SR and it had a short bed....and didn't have the couple of options that I wanted (about $1200 worth).... told him nope!

I did tell them that a RAM dealer had a 1500 with more than I wanted -- a lot more, for $500 more than his 'discounted' price! (The RAM dealer knocked off $4200 off msrp.) (only reason I didn't get the RAM was because it was a short bed)

I'll just wait ---

If you plan on holding on to a vehicle for longer than the warranty you would be better off with the Toyota.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #209  

I'll just wait ---
Ram is very hungry for business and they want to make deals.
In this time of screwing over each other, maybe try to make a deal with them. Possibly on another truck??

When I bought my 5500 is was at the height of Covid. March 2020-dealership closed because it wasn’t a “critical business”.
My Ram dealer was allowed to keep its’ service bays open, but no salespeople at the dealer.
I had to sign the paperwork the night before the dealership was to be closed by the state along with all others in PA.
They made me an excellent deal and I won’t forget that.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #210  
I was getting ready to order an F150 this year - wanted the powerBoost hybrid for the 430HP/570lbf-ft, 23mpg combined, and the 7.2kW generator built in. Dealers all reporting 4-8 months for new '23 orders, yet many of the current ones arriving now have taken more like 10-12 months. And it was pushing my budget a bit out of the comfort zone.

So I picked up a mint-condish 2019 3.5 EcoBoost for a little over half the price, instead. There's not many used crew-cab 6.5' bed trucks around, looked for a couple months before jumping on this one.

eJiv0Ma.jpg