12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #181  
After totaling my RAM in August I was put into the situation of having to buy; I went for newer, with higher mileage. Oh, and I bought a 1 ton, as I figure I will never over-stress such a truck, lol. $37k for a truck with 114k miles, and it wasn't a bad deal.

I'm just dreaming, browsing the new trucks; they're well above my pay grade for the moment!
Time was that 114K would be worn out... today it's just getting broken in!!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #182  
Time was that 114K would be worn out... today it's just getting broken in!!!

That time really wasn't long ago, maybe 30 years, but vehicles have come a long way in that time. I think we've reached the peak of the automobile, as we know it, but I'd hope I'm wrong. It certainly is a good time to be a driving enthusiast, with every jellybean bringing it's roughly 300 horsepower to all four wheels.

I'm certainly banking on the reliability of the Ford 6.2!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #183  
They won't like it when their jobs are eliminated and we can all order cars online like placing an order at McDonalds or checking out at Walmart...
Why you can't buy a car online
2017 article but hopefully manufacturers will give the option buy direct instead of going through a middle man (the dealer).

If I'm having to pay MSRP why do I need a dealer?

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #184  
After totaling my RAM in August I was put into the situation of having to buy; I went for newer, with higher mileage. Oh, and I bought a 1 ton, as I figure I will never over-stress such a truck, lol. $37k for a truck with 114k miles, and it wasn't a bad deal.

I'm just dreaming, browsing the new trucks; they're well above my pay grade for the moment!
Hope the accident didn’t cause any damage to yer skeletal matter?

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #185  
Hope the accident didn’t cause any damage to yer skeletal matter?

Outside of a chipped bone in my elbow, I feel pretty good almost 6 months out.

Frankly, it's a miracle I'm alive, let alone in decent shape.

I use decent shape, as my shape wasn't all that good to begin with. 🤣

Snapchat-161247423.jpg

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #187  
   / 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #188  
Shockingly, not necessarily. I went to look at an f250 which originally cost 80k, it was 3 years old, and it was listed for 68k. It seems that cars less than 5 years old are holding their value a great deal more.
1990 was a long time ago but I bought my truck new because some dealers were asking more for a 1988 model than I paid for my full load new one. ($24,050.00) I got to choose the colour, options and got a full one year warranty in those days.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #189  
If I'm having to pay MSRP why do I need a dealer?
State laws require it. Dealer associations have powerful lobbyists, so don't expect that to change anytime soon. I'd imagine the logistics for the manufacturer to distribute vehicles directly to customers would be a costly undertaking in itself.
Even Tesla has "stores" which are just another name for a stripped-down dealership.

As unpleasant as the dealer experience is, I'm not sure I'd just want to order a vehicle online and get it sight unseen. I've seen many with good online reviews that to me at least are unpleasant to actually drive...whether it be cramped or otherwise uncomfortable seating, bad ergonomics or whatever.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #190  
I was just contributing to another thread about vehicle leaks and I recalled this truck I bought in 2015:

2010 F-350 XLT reg cab 4WD 6.4L diesel (I know not the best) with Western plow, 109K miles. Good condition, no rust. 4.10’s and factory aluminum wheels for only $10,000.
Had to put $4,500 in it for all brakes, new tires and a windshield.

Kinda make you yearn for the old days, eh?
I sold it 2 years ago with 175,000 miles for $17,500.

I bet it would sell for about $25,000 now.

Used Trucks are like GOLD (for now)

Last edited: