12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
My youngest daughter is needing a new vehicle because the one she has now, a Toyota 4Runner, does not meet her family's new requirements. Their vehicle requirements have changed because they are expecting a third child and they have a tractor that needs to be trailered forty miles to her husband's mother's farm. The tractor and loader weigh around 4000 pounds. So after careful internet research they settled on a Toyota Sequoia for their needs. After visiting and calling several dealers the best they can do is to order one and wait twelve to eighteen months!

So they have a problem. I told them to keep what they have and borrow my towing package equipped F150 on the rare instances when they needed to move the tractor. They can leave the Tesla for me to drive. I'm no dummy, I love driving that thing.

I also suggested to get a minivan for the kids and borrow my truck when needed. That got me cold stares and silence for a minute before they started talking again. Other daughter has one, a Toyota Sienna, and says she will never have anything else. But for some reason they do not want one.

I find the situation amusing!

RSKY

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #4  
Kind of a funny used car market right now. We are on the wait list for a new Toyota RAV 4 hybrid.

a used one is about 4k more than a new one, but you can drive it home today if that’s your choice.

In addition to that, Toyota factory is stuffing an abundance of spendy options into the deal. Take it or leave it.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #5  
We are looking at Honda CR-Vs, and low mileage units are nowhere near the cost of new around here. Actually around $10k less, or more.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #6  
I bought a new Tacoma last Oct. I waited about 3 months for one to come in I wanted. It came with stuff on it I really wouldn’t have asked for. Like a tonneau recover ($600) and $120 for nitrogen in the tires, $200 for mud guards. But if you want the truck, there it is, if not I’ll call the next guy and he’ll buy it. I told the salesman, do you think I got a bottle of nitrogen at home, what the heck !!? He told me that it will never be like it was before covid, they don’t have to have $500,000 of inventory on the lot, they don’t have to wash 100 cars once a month. They don’t have to worry about moving inventory that’s been sitting there for months. Those days are over he said. I believe him.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #7  
I think about this situation often. I can't decide the end game.

1. Are we now to expect to have long delays and wait times for things not on the shelf?
2. Will we bounce back from this and go back to the days of instant gratification?

Wondering minds want to know.....

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #10  
I bought a new Tacoma last Oct. I waited about 3 months for one to come in I wanted. It came with stuff on it I really wouldn’t have asked for. Like a tonneau recover ($600) and $120 for nitrogen in the tires, $200 for mud guards. But if you want the truck, there it is, if not I’ll call the next guy and he’ll buy it. I told the salesman, do you think I got a bottle of nitrogen at home, what the heck !!? He told me that it will never be like it was before covid, they don’t have to have $500,000 of inventory on the lot, they don’t have to wash 100 cars once a month. They don’t have to worry about moving inventory that’s been sitting there for months. Those days are over he said. I believe him.
That's what I found when I bought my Colorado. Salesmen were so busy they didn't care if they talked to you or not. I called and asked about a new Ranger I'd been looking at, "Yep, We've still got it." I took the afternoon off and drove 50 miles... "Oh, we sold that 2 weeks ago."

There was no such thing as a Tacoma, unless you wanted a v-6 auto which gets worse mileage than my company Silverado.
I looked at a '93 SR5... $20,000 for a 27 YO truck. No thanks, we were so far apart it wasn't even worth talking to them.

I finally drove 175 miles to look at a new Colorado... They supposedly sold it while I was on my way down. They had a low mileage 2 YO Colorado for a reasonable price which hadn't been prepped yet... I wrote a deposit for $1000 on the spot. Car Fax suggested there may have been some type of damage to the passenger side so I called and asked him about it. "No, they don't know what they are talking about. Do you want me to send your check back?" I had a signed piece of paper from the original owner stating that it had nevr been in an accident, so I bought it.*
That was 2 1/2 years ago... it seems like it's only gotten worse.

*Carfax indicated that it may or may not have been accident damage. After driving it for a couple of years the paint started peeling off the passenger side rocker panel; there was no primer underneath. Most likely it had been worn from somebody getting in and out of the vehicle, so the original owner had a cheap touch up job done.