Logsplitter spewing oil

/ Logsplitter spewing oil #11  
I recently purchased a "new" Craftsman 27 Ton logsplitter.

It's not overfull, and takes about 1/2 - - 3/4 of a quart to replace, after each hour long session of splitting. Plus -- it's just danged messey. Any help? Thanks, Greg

They may have not plumbed the return line below reservoir level internally in the tank ....or res too small....or return line or fitting at tank too small resulting in too much velocity thus too much agitation or "spitting".....or just poorly manufactured tank without baffle.....:confused2:

/ Logsplitter spewing oil #12  
:)
Some hydraulics 101. your system is an open spool type, meaning that the pump is always moving oil from the pump-valve-tank-pump. When you move the valve to activate the cylinder, internal passages open and close to direct the flow to the pressure side of the cylinder and allow the opposite side to drain back to the tank. When the engineer designs the system he takes the flow rate of the pump and calculates the inside diameters of all the lines, suction and pressure, for acceptable pumping losses. Now a 1/4 inch inside diameter line costs less than a 3/8 inch line, however the pumping loss is greater which = heat. Add on that you are working the splitter and that increases the heat. You can do a few things to cool things off. Replace the lines with a larger ID line or add an oil cooler in the suction line. You never want the oil to be more than 180 deg; 130 150 is a good range.
BTW, one side of the pressure relief valve is 2,000 psi and the other is near 0, when the valve opens to limit the pressure all that energy has to go some where and it too shows up as heat.

Transit,

I see where you're coming from.....most "New Equipment" manufactures get some engineer types to figure the numbers for velocities and such as normal guidelines....when they should be using the numbers as extremes values only.....

I always like to figure hose sizes a little larger with some degree of forgiveness to keep pressure drop down to alleviate heat and velocity issues such as this......

New Equipment Mfgs like to "Save Money" using their data to increase their bottom line with smaller hoses and fittings but instead guys like Gregster get the short end of the stick sometimes :mad:

Hopefully just overfilled like most have mentioned

/ Logsplitter spewing oil #13  
Here's one more vote for tank overfilled.
My splitter will dribble from vent if on uneven ground. Somebody mentioned that with a total hydraulic fluid capacity of 10 or more gallons, one quart low won't matter at all. I agree with him. Just don't top it off next time and see if problem goes away. I suspect it will. Good luck with this.
-Jay

/ Logsplitter spewing oil
Well, I finally found some answers; and from where I should have scoured at first! I went back to the operators manual and really searched each page.

My tank only holds 3 gallons of oil. And, at the bottom of the assembly page (in very small font) it also states that "a small amount of oil may escape through the vent cap as oil gets hot, expands, and seeks balance". Duh! I shoulda re-read the manual first. Guess my splitter is normal after all, and I need to watch where I place it to split wood. No more on any type of slope.
May hafta use the boxblade to level out an area every time I split. Darn it, more seat time on tractor. :laughing: I don't know if'n it worked, but I tried to place a smilie-face here.
Thanks for all the suggestions/tips. Greg

/ Logsplitter spewing oil #15  
I recently purchased a "new" Craftsman 27 Ton logsplitter. Have used 4 tanks of fuel so far (thus - about 4 hours on unit). The thing starts great, runs strong, and has split anything I've run through it so far.

However.....whenever I'm running it - it seems to constantly cough out Hyd fluid through the vent hole located on top of the check Hyd oil dipstick.
Every time I use it, it needs to be topped off with Hyd fluid. The manual gives me no troubleshoot guidance in this arena, and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be doing this.

While I know Hyd fluid is much cheaper to replace than a blown Hyd pump - I just wonder if there are any other owners out there who have experienced this problem? If so, what was/is the fix? It's not overfull, and takes about 1/2 - - 3/4 of a quart to replace, after each hour long session of splitting. Plus -- it's just danged messey. Any help? Thanks, Greg
Same thing with my country pro 27 hp splitter. Mine also had a problem with the valve. 2 cords the detention stopped working and could not adjust it. And I had the problem with the oil spewing from cap. If the splitter is perfectly level it works ok but the oil is foamy. Not impressed.

/ Logsplitter spewing oil #16  
I recently purchased a "new" Craftsman 27 Ton logsplitter. Have used 4 tanks of fuel so far (thus - about 4 hours on unit). The thing starts great, runs strong, and has split anything I've run through it so far.

However.....whenever I'm running it - it seems to constantly cough out Hyd fluid through the vent hole located on top of the check Hyd oil dipstick.
Every time I use it, it needs to be topped off with Hyd fluid. The manual gives me no troubleshoot guidance in this arena, and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be doing this.

While I know Hyd fluid is much cheaper to replace than a blown Hyd pump - I just wonder if there are any other owners out there who have experienced this problem? If so, what was/is the fix? It's not overfull, and takes about 1/2 - - 3/4 of a quart to replace, after each hour long session of splitting. Plus -- it's just danged messey. Any help? Thanks, Greg
Had the same problem. I think I have it fixed by taking the kink out of the hose. Somebody suggested on here that something is cause back pressure like a restriction. The house coming out of the thank got kinked so I took that kink out and it seemed to have fixed the problem.

Fix number two. In my case I had to keep the splitter almost perfectly level. If it was completely level it would spew hydro. Now that I have fixed the kink, it never spew since but I also keep the splitter more or less level. It appears that since I took the kink out of the hose it is more forgiving but I guess time will tell.

/ Logsplitter spewing oil #17  
12 year old thread....

But at least the OP is around.

Had the same problem. I think I have it fixed by taking the kink out of the hose. Somebody suggested on here that something is cause back pressure like a restriction. The house coming out of the thank got kinked so I took that kink out and it seemed to have fixed the problem.

Fix number two. In my case I had to keep the splitter almost perfectly level. If it was completely level it would spew hydro. Now that I have fixed the kink, it never spew since but I also keep the splitter more or less level. It appears that since I took the kink out of the hose it is more forgiving but I guess time will tell.
yes Green Acres, After I started paying close attention to the levelness at which I had it -- it quit spitting out hydo fluid. I apologize for not closing out that question originally. Went back and looked - yes I did! See post #14 , 2 posts up and I answered.

/ Logsplitter spewing oil #19  
yes Green Acres, After I started paying close attention to the levelness at which I had it -- it quit spitting out hydo fluid. I apologize for not closing out that question originally. Went back and looked - yes I did! See post #14 , 2 posts up and I answered.
it helGped the problem.

It did for me and I'm glad it also helped you. Since I've started paying close attention to how level it's sitting I haven't had any more of "that" problem. I've had others but they are simply that my machine is getting old (like me) and weird quirks pop up now and then, but she still works for what I need to get done and that's all I require of her any more. Good luck with yours!