Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield?

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #41  
My bush hog cover does not have the cool EA logo so it is different. :ROFLMAO:
My Bush Hog BH15 (2017) came with the aggravating plastic bell cover. I got the EA one painted yesterday. Maybe I’ll start the swap out today. It appears I will have to remove the driveline from the splined gearbox shaft to remove the old plastic one.

EDIT: Measure carefully. I did my best to measure with the plastic shield on before ordering the 2 7/8 inch one. After removing the plastic junk one today I found mine is really 2 5/8 inches. Working on a solution. The EA shield is pretty stout metal.

1F41CC38-2FB3-43D7-B576-E345AEDE7850.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #43  
Kind of unpleasantly surprised that LP don't redesign their shielding. The way they are presently, greasing the U joint in front of the gearbox or slipping the clutch is a royal PITA.

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #44  
It appears I will have to remove the driveline from the splined gearbox shaft to remove the old plastic one.
Not really. Just cut it off with a sawzall. You won't ever use it again so it goes in the trash. Gonna order one but not now. It's winter here and I won't refit until warm weather comes again.

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #45  
Not really. Just cut it off with a sawzall. You won't ever use it again so it goes in the trash. Gonna order one but not now. It's winter here and I won't refit until warm weather comes again.
I don't have an EA but that's what I had to do for the last covered PTO shaft I got. I cut the tractor side because it was hard for me to get to the release. I cut about 2" off the bell which is about where the last flare ends. Works great now.

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield?
Kind of unpleasantly surprised that LP don't redesign their shielding. The way they are presently, greasing the U joint in front of the gearbox or slipping the clutch is a royal PITA.
Over the years, I've compiled quite a collection of ongoing land pride failures, and based on them not redesigning many common issues with their attachments, I don't think this area is even remotely in their scope of things to improve..
Travis

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #47  
EA...maybe instead of 4 mounting holes have 4 slots. That way any bolt pattern between the 2-3/8 and 2-7/8 would work, even the odd "metric" ones.

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #48  
Land Pride isn't the only one. It saves a buck on each implement built but makes it a pain for the owner to maintain. I hate servicing the u-joint and slip clutch every year because of the poorly designed/implemented shield.

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #49  
I don't 'hate' it. In reality I don't 'hate' anyone or anything. That word is used way too loosely. I find it inconvenient

/ Do you hate your rotary cutter gearbox shield? #50  
Over the years, I've compiled quite a collection of ongoing land pride failures, and based on them not redesigning many common issues with their attachments, I don't think this area is even remotely in their scope of things to improve..
Travis
Never had a failure of any LP implement I own. In fact, both my 3 point shredder and my batwing mower are overbuilt.