Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,931  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,932  
Now what was that old saying...Pick rut hope you make it" ;)

Yup, pick a rut and go for it. Usually the only ones that get in trouble are the ones who think the smartest thing to do is to go way over on the shoulder where there are no ruts and it looks nice and smooth.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,933  
Yup, pick a rut and go for it. Usually the only ones that get in trouble are the ones who think the smartest thing to do is to go way over on the shoulder where there are no ruts and it looks nice and smooth.

gg
My road hasn’t started to mud up yet, but it will tomorrow. It’s a gravel town road which makes the hypotenuse of a triangle, the other two sides are state highways.
One year it got so bad that I was parking on the corner of my property and walking the last 1/4 mile. That always seems to be when people start “exploring.”
As I was walking home I watched somebody drive through the spot I was avoiding, then stopped beside me and asked if it always got that bad in spring. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying
“It wouldn’t if you idiots would stay off it!”

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,934  
I have 5 ATV's, but really only one I use for firewood, another the misses will use to move a small garden trailer full of split wood from time to time. Here's my opinion, and it is purely that based on my personal experience, sorry if i bounce around a lot...
- It must have 4WD, I think that's obvious why.
- If he plans to be alone in the woods, it should have a winch on the machine, ATV's weigh 800lbs or so, not something you are pulling out by hand if stuck.
- I recommend something in the 700cc engine size (or bigger), you want some power to get you up hills and towing.
- I prefer and ATV over a side by side, mainly because of the smaller footprint, (fits in tighter spots, especially where there are no trails) if he's going to be alone, he won't need the extra seat(s), and i wouldn't recommend towing a side by side behind a Subaru. They weigh 1000-1200 lbs, plus trailer, that's a lot for a smaller car.
- My 700cc Polaris is rated to tow 1050lbs, but I have moved a 1500lb popup camper (slowly) without smoking the belt.
- I like the independent axles, solely for the much increased ground clearance. Honda has a solid axle in some of their models (at least they used to), and its just hanging down there to catch on a rock or drag in the mud.
- It will need good tires, yes most come with decent tires, but as most of you know, there is a huge difference between R1 & R3 tires on a tractor, same applies to 4 wheelers. The thicker the tread and sidewall the better, mostly for stick puncture resistance and sharp rock slices. I have had good luck with Kenda Bearclaw brand tires. you want space between the lugs to shed mud & snow, these run at higher rpms than tractors, so they sling the mud vs just displace it.
- Sounds like a luxury, but power steering (known as EPS, electronic power steering) is becoming more common in these things, and this relates to less arm fatigue towards the end of the day, which to me, translates to safer saw operation. Usually adds $1k-$1500 to price of machine though.
- As for brand of ATV, you really can't go wrong with any of the Main brands (not Chinese no matter how appealing the price, you'll end up paying in the end) I own mostly Polaris, for a few reasons but mainly because there is a dealer nearby. They also have websites devoted to just buying factory parts. I have selectable 4WD, its a CVD transmission, (its just a drive belt between 2 conical sheaves that move closer together as speed increases) and a transfer case with 2 driveshafts to gearboxes and axle shafts to wheel hubs. It has some sort of 4wheel locker so I don't get 2 opposing wheels spinning while stuck. I think Yamaha and Kawasaki have more transmission selection options, like front locker, rear locker, front neutral etc. I like the ability to pick how you want it, but I don't know how much I would use it while working, that seems more like something I would do while playing and tail riding etc.
Ones to start looking at in no particular order:
Yamaha Kodiak 700, 4 wheel independent suspension, engine braking to help slow you down hills w/o riding on the brakes, low winch mount location (pulls from low down keeping it more steady) lever shifter with linkage to select between P,R,N,H,L However doesn't look like you get differential lockers until you step up to the Grizzly model adding more $$. I'd have to do a bit more digging. tows 1300lbs

Kawasaki Brute Force 750 twin, 4 wheel independent suspension, mid winch mount location, lever shifter with linkage to select between R,N,H,L you get selectable front differential locker. Only comes in red unless you upgrade to a higher model. tows 1250lbs

Polaris Sportsman 850 twin, 4 wheel independent suspension, low winch mount location, lever shifter with linkage to select between P,R,N,H,L AWD, highest ground clearance, also tows 1500lbs.

I didn't mention Honda (who makes great engines etc) because I cant find anything listed for a winch location, or one even listed as an accessory option. And for this type of work by yourself, I think its important to have.

I bought a Northern Log Arch, and as handy as it has been, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, maybe to the guy that has a lawn tractor and wants to move the occasional stick. Its too short, (tongue to tires) so while easy to maneuver going forward in the woods, its half impossible to back up in the woods, (maybe easy for you 4 wheel wagon & tractor guys). You hit a little stick or stump under the leaves and this thing is sideways & jack-knifed in a second. I also had to replace winch mechanism and flat strap, both failed separately. I also had to change out the tongue but that was more so it fit a 2" ball not 1-7/8". All my other stuff was 2".

Sorry for the long winded reply but that's what I came up with this Monday morning. Please reach out to me if you have more questions, I would be happy to discuss any of this.
Thanks, Loaderman, and sorry for the delayed response. I ready it over quickly, intending to go back to it when I had more time. This thread has been so active that I lost track of the post. I could not remember where I had asked the question.

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've forwarded it on to my friend. Like you, I'm thinking he may go for an ATV over a side by side, since as you mentioned, they are easier to get into tight spaces.That's a definite need of his. On the other hand, he has some gear to cart around. Having to pull a trailer to bring along the gear loses some of the ATV's advantage on getting into tough spaces. He might consider a smaller SxS, just for the gear hauling (and the ability to easily bring an employee along with him).

I am curious about your preference for independent rear suspension. The higher ground clearance is definitely a plus, however, the little I've heard about ATVs & SxS is that a solid axle is better for towing. Having not used either, I'm not sure how much of an issue that is, or even what "better for towing" might mean. If you have two otherwise similar designs and both are rated to tow the same weight, what makes on better than the other for towing?

If I were shopping for myself, I'd be looking at something like the Kawasaki Mule SX series. I like the ability to carry some gear, but I also like the fact that it's smaller (52.6" wide) - gets in to tighter spaces and is easy to load on a 5' wide trailer. It also seems to have a good reputation. I only see two real downsides: (1) there is no engine braking - I'd prefer having that in our hills and (2) there are no dealers near me. The Kawasaki dealers in my area seem to be focused mainly on motorcycles. So many of the other SxS are just too big to interest me. If I need more towing power, I'll take my tractor.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,935  
I always thought if I really wanted a 4x4 or SxS for work only I would look at an old Toyota 4x4 pickup or something like that. Cheaper, better ground clearance, easy to get parts, and an enclosed cab with heat and air. Yeah its a little bigger but not that much really

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,936  
I always thought if I really wanted a 4x4 or SxS for work only I would look at an old Toyota 4x4 pickup or something like that. Cheaper, better ground clearance, easy to get parts, and an enclosed cab with heat and air. Yeah its a little bigger but not that much really
I can't even come close to getting my Tacoma pickup in where my neighbor can get his ATV or where I can get my Coot.

I have seen a guy use an old Suzuki Samarai or a Geo Tracker as a woods vehicle.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,937  

I don't know - A wheeler is an awful handy way to get around the woods w/o tearing things up. Good way to get you and your tools to the job spot or just go sight seeing.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,938  
I don't know - A wheeler is an awful handy way to get around the woods w/o tearing things up. Good way to get you and your tools to the job spot or just go sight seeing.

gg
Yeah, I've just always used my tractor or truck ...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,939  
Thanks, Loaderman, and sorry for the delayed response. I ready it over quickly, intending to go back to it when I had more time. This thread has been so active that I lost track of the post. I could not remember where I had asked the question.

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've forwarded it on to my friend. Like you, I'm thinking he may go for an ATV over a side by side, since as you mentioned, they are easier to get into tight spaces.That's a definite need of his. On the other hand, he has some gear to cart around. Having to pull a trailer to bring along the gear loses some of the ATV's advantage on getting into tough spaces. He might consider a smaller SxS, just for the gear hauling (and the ability to easily bring an employee along with him).

I am curious about your preference for independent rear suspension. The higher ground clearance is definitely a plus, however, the little I've heard about ATVs & SxS is that a solid axle is better for towing. Having not used either, I'm not sure how much of an issue that is, or even what "better for towing" might mean. If you have two otherwise similar designs and both are rated to tow the same weight, what makes on better than the other for towing?

If I were shopping for myself, I'd be looking at something like the Kawasaki Mule SX series. I like the ability to carry some gear, but I also like the fact that it's smaller (52.6" wide) - gets in to tighter spaces and is easy to load on a 5' wide trailer. It also seems to have a good reputation. I only see two real downsides: (1) there is no engine braking - I'd prefer having that in our hills and (2) there are no dealers near me. The Kawasaki dealers in my area seem to be focused mainly on motorcycles. So many of the other SxS are just too big to interest me. If I need more towing power, I'll take my tractor.
Not a problem, just wanted to make sure you saw an answer to your inquiry. & no, I don't expect most of you to read all of this!
I have never owned a side by side, they are typically just out of my price range, an not as common around here used. I am sure having an extra seat would be handy, and yes the dump bed would be handy too. I just make do with my loader bucket if I need to move material. My 4 wheelers are about 4' wide, so they fit between the wheel wells of a full size pickup, however at about 6' long, I cant shut the tailgate in my quad cab with the 5'9" short bed. Side by sides are larger in every dimension. Now as for gear, my front rack holds 80-100lbs and the rear holds about 200lbs. I have metal "guard rails" around for tying stuff down, but typically I use these rubber coated wire ties. you run them up through the spaces in the rack, twist once to hold them in place, then have endless options for tying pretty much anything. So chainsaw goes on front rack, so I can keep an eye on it (if it fell off the back rack I'd run over it with the trailer etc.) and the chains and peavy etc go on the back rack. I've tied an old milk crate to the rack for extra chains, gas/oil, wrench, wedges, etc. and that has worked very well. If I break it, just get a new milk crate. I have thought about making wood boxes, but just never had the time. Companies like Kolpin make a lot of accessory holders that bolt to the racks, they make scabbards for chainsaws that run along side the fenders, gun mounts, some companies make heated grips like on a snowmobile or even heated "mittens" that fit over the handlebars to block the wind, warm your hands, keep them dry, and made of cordura to block prickers. A friend of mine has a hard plastic storage box on his rear rack, fits all sorts of stuff in there, like dry gloves, rope, water bottles, etc. Keeps it on all year, just trades out what's inside depending on where we are going.

I like the independent rear for the much larger ground clearance. If a solid axle is rated to tow say, 1200 lbs, and my independent is rated to only tow 1050lbs, I'll still keep the indy, all day. Its improved handling, softer ride, and nothing hanging down so you can straddle obstacles instead of having to drive over them with a wheel. In off-roading, you are kind of taught to go into of over an obstacle at an angle, so you don't have 2 wheels on or in at the same time, with a sold rear, that diff is just waiting to hang up on a log this way. And yes a SXS has a much larger towing capacity even with the same size engine. Remember towing isn't just if you can get a load moving, its also about slowing it down, SXS' just have more mass in front of whatever is in tow. If I need to tow a log that large, I go get the tractor, or I have found a log arch helps greatly since it cuts down on the dragging resistance, by getting 90% of the log off the ground. You mentioned he may want one of those too, and that has been a real help for me.

I think it was Hunt that had a comment about getting a Toyota Pickup instead, and as fantastic as they are, (I had a 91 that I took off-roading & was daily driver, also had a Suzuki Samurai that ate clutches like they were girl scout cookies!) they just don't fit where I can go with the ATV. With the Toyota you wouldn't think of crossing a stone wall where the deer have knocked it down, with the ATV, I do it all the time. I've had my Sportsman in water up to the tops of the fenders, it was so deep I was starting to float downstream in the current, and it drove out the other side! They have sealed airboxes, with high intakes, and 2 layers of air filters to keep out dust, mud, and water, and close to 90 degree approach/departure angles. Driving across frozen ponds, at under 1000lbs with rider, & gear, you are less likely to break through, I don't go over anything too deep, 3-4 feet max, plus I can jump off faster than opening a door.

Admittedly I don't have the traction of a pickup or tractor, just not enough mass, so towing up hills does suffer, but if you work smart, you can overcome this. Use the atv to get the wood to the road, or trail, then load your truck to haul it out. Also less chance of doing a wheelie if the log gets hung up, in a tractor those rear wheels keep digging so the front comes up, in an ATV, you just spin all 4 tires. Can you roll these over? Absolutely, but go slower, go straight up & down steep slopes, keep your COG low and watch where you are going.

Kawasaki Mules, John Deere Gators, Kubota RTV's, and even Bobcat's utility vehicles or the Toolcats all have great reputations for this type of work. And I've seen videos of Yamaha Rhino's being beaten half to death and they keep on going. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the name brand ATV's or SXS', yes you can get a lemon with any of them, but all in all, they are all great. Its the same as for tractors, a good number of members here have fantastic luck with their Kubota's, JD's, Ford/NH's, MFers etc, but then you go to the Owning/Operating threads and there are tons of issues with all brands.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,940  
I'm going to disagree with you just a little on this one. Typically a pickups lowest point off the ground is the rear differential, since all stock trucks have a solid rear axle. The only way to increase this is to put on larger tires (unless you swap out to an aftermarket axle). So a stock Toyota has about 9.5 inches at that point in stock form. A new ATV with 4 wheel independent suspension has at least that, the new Polaris 850 boasts 11.5 inches in stock form. If you go to the high-lifter series, (not that anybody in their right mind should) its at 13.5 inches! But the other things where the ATV's have the advantage is in approach & departure angles, ATV's its close to 90 degrees, trucks its a lot less. Also with the much shorter wheelbase, I don't get high centered except on a 12" or larger log, something you wouldn't likely try to even drive over in a stock pickup.

But yes a used Toyota pickup in the Northeast thats rusted to swiss cheese with 250k miles will be cheaper, easy to get parts (at NAPA) and heat and A/C, all this I agree with you! And can outhaul the ATV all day long.