The last Barn. (maybe)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #81  
Rebar was pulled up while pouring, they had a guy dedicated to doing that. Most of the concrete was 4.5-5" thick, up in the front and middle of the barn it was 5.5-6" thick.

For a home job I'm still very happy with the whole thing and most people that come and see it don't know anything about the height issue. ;)
Looking good. For my pour, I was able to dig down the doorway, for 12' 6" concrete truck clearance. Once in, they just had to jockey around a bit to pour it.

Why no foam underneath? Are you going to heat it?

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #82  
Why no foam underneath? Are you going to heat it?
I was wondering about a plastic vapor barrier. Would a vapor barrier and/or insulation keep it from sweating and knock down humidity?

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I plan to heat a room inside that I'll show later. If I heat the rest it'll be much later in time with a used oil heater. Anything I put down would have been torn up by the skid steers going in/out.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #84  
Rebar was pulled up while pouring, they had a guy dedicated to doing that. Most of the concrete was 4.5-5" thick, up in the front and middle of the barn it was 5.5-6" thick.
We could not chair the rebar because all of the concrete was brought in by skid steer. That was my own fault because the whole building was supposed to be taller. When the post holes were drilled a few of them were really deep ( I knew it) but I thought I had plenty of post to make up the difference, well I didn't. The middle section was supposed to have 14' doors so a cement truck would fit in and the awning doors were supposed to be 10'. Basically we were 9" short and it messed up the whole thing. Didn't realize it until the trusses were going up. It's no big deal other than not getting the cement truck in and now my snow machine trailer doesn't fit where I planned it to go. Easy fix though, I'll sell the trailer I have and buy a new one 6" shorter.
For a home job I'm still very happy with the whole thing and most people that come and see it don't know anything about the height issue. ;)
Anyone who builds something and says they'd do it exactly the same again is a liar.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #85  
I'm on the fence about vapor barrier. I think there's a lot of logistical variances that come into play.

If I were building this in Missouri I wouldn't put a vapor barrier down.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #86  
Terrific building and job. If only I were younger and had the confidence to take on the a project like that.
I'm glad I'm not younger and dumber to tackle a project like this. :ROFLMAO: Impressive and beautiful to boot! One of the best build threads that I have followed in quite awhile.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I'm on the fence about vapor barrier. I think there's a lot of logistical variances that come into play.

If I were building this in Missouri I wouldn't put a vapor barrier down.
In Utah were I lived, the vapor barrier would have been a waste of money. It's more humid here in Idaho but still I don't think it's needed.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I'm glad I'm not younger and dumber to tackle a project like this. :ROFLMAO: Impressive and beautiful to boot! One of the best build threads that I have followed in quite awhile.
I know I have to get all these projects done soon. The older I get the less enthusiasm I have for working that hard.
Hay shed this summer and a green house next summer. After that it's time for me and my bride to travel and play. Hopefully our health continues to be good.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
It took a long time, actually the last thing done but my buddy (the metal guy help) got the doors wrapped.
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Now that the outside is completely done it's time to get the inside how I want it.
I needed a place to store firewood and a heated place for the tractor. Plan is to foam insulate the tractor area and I'll just use a 6' electric base board to heat it. I only want 40-50 degrees to ensure I don't have fuel/starting problems in the winter.
I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can continue the electrical work. I have most of the plugs done and some lights but still need more. Also a nice work bench where the blue barrels and plywood are.
Worth noting that currently the building has only a heavy duty extension cord plugged in on the back patio of the house running through the conduit into the panel in the barn. I'll run permanent power this summer after I get the hay shed done.
IMG_1099.jpeg
IMG_1100.jpeg
IMG_1098.jpeg
IMG_1121.jpeg
IMG_1114.jpeg

Last edited: