The last Barn. (maybe)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #71  
When I built my MiL's, I used the clear polycarbonate 'skylight' panels on the roof, and holy cow did it ever light the place up. Been 15/16yrs now and still holding up with no yellowing or crazing.
My barn had weathered, old green (dark) fiberglass panels. I had Morton come out and replace them, I was NOT going up there myself. Wow, what a difference!!! They used white fiberglass panels. He said they didn't like the polycarbonate ones. I'd rather of had the poly ones, but I'm okay with these.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Getting all the big doors on is next. Somewhere in all this I also got the man doors put in.
IMG_1021.jpeg
IMG_1024.jpeg

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #74  
How big are the doors?

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
While getting the barn ready for concrete this happened and it really put me in a bind for time. It was routinely freezing at night now. This melted quickly but still I knew I had to hurry.
IMG_1036.jpeg

Last edited:
   / The last Barn. (maybe)
Some might wonder why I put the doors in before the concrete;
There are lots of critters and deer around here and I didn't want tracks in the concrete.
With that said it's rebar, concrete time. If I remember right it took 103 yards.
IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1049.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #78  
Was the rebar raised up on "chairs", or just laid on the ground? How thick of a slab, 4"? Love the barn!

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Was the rebar raised up on "chairs", or just laid on the ground? How thick of a slab, 4"? Love the barn!
Rebar was pulled up while pouring, they had a guy dedicated to doing that. Most of the concrete was 4.5-5" thick, up in the front and middle of the barn it was 5.5-6" thick.
We could not chair the rebar because all of the concrete was brought in by skid steer. That was my own fault because the whole building was supposed to be taller. When the post holes were drilled a few of them were really deep ( I knew it) but I thought I had plenty of post to make up the difference, well I didn't. The middle section was supposed to have 14' doors so a cement truck would fit in and the awning doors were supposed to be 10'. Basically we were 9" short and it messed up the whole thing. Didn't realize it until the trusses were going up. It's no big deal other than not getting the cement truck in and now my snow machine trailer doesn't fit where I planned it to go. Easy fix though, I'll sell the trailer I have and buy a new one 6" shorter.
For a home job I'm still very happy with the whole thing and most people that come and see it don't know anything about the height issue. ;)

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #80  
Terrific building and job. If only I were younger and had the confidence to take on the a project like that.