Snow Forecast For Virginia

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #11  
If it's like what we got last night, you won't need your blade.

When our snow comes from the Gulf of Mexico, we get "obliterated",,
then, when it travels north past us, in New England it is called a "Nor easter",, IIRC,,

Recently, this is a LOT for us,,

F0vgCsp.jpg

That much hardly needs moved,,

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #12  
It was 70F here today and I was sweating as I blew out some water lines (since it will be 18F tomorrow night). That's a 52 degree drop in just over 24 hours.

Calling for 4-6" of snow here tomorrow during the day, but I have a hard time believing any of it will stick, as warm as it's been lately. If it does stick I imagine it will be slush. Whether that hardens up tomorrow night when it's 18F is anyone's guess. The ground is very warm right now.

Betting my daughter won't have school or be delayed on Tuesday either way. Some school systems here already canceled for Monday which seems like a major overreaction to me. The modern day attitudes here in Virginia are so different than when I grew up in New England. Back then it seems like they tried to keep school open. Now it seems like they look for an excuse to close.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #13  
The over reactive school closing is a more recent thing in my part of VA(guessing liability fears?) I remember the busses chaining up when it snowed, now they close even if there is a chance of flurries.

In this areas defense, we do get a lot of ice and have some pretty bad back roads, I've watched "northerners" get stuck or wreck because they don't understand how slick it can get here with the ice.

When I was in Michigan I could drive my old civic anywhere no problem as long as the snow wasn't soo deep I couldn't push it. Here I'm lucky to get out if the driveway in a 4x4 with good tires a lot of times. Different kind of snow conditions, snow is easy to drive in, ice ice/snow not so much.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #14  
Oh and for good measure I put the blade on the tractor and the snow blower in the Sunstar, lift cylinder hose started leaking on Sunstar so hopefully that doesn't negate its anti-snow abilities!

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #15  
The modern day attitudes here in Virginia are so different than when I grew up in New England. Back then it seems like they tried to keep school open. Now it seems like they look for an excuse to close.
In Vermont we knew how to drive and when NOT to drive in the snow. And we could sort of depend on others to know also. In mixed Northern Virginia I can't depend on the driver in front of me.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia
The modern day attitudes here in Virginia are so different than when I grew up in New England. Back then it seems like they tried to keep school open. Now it seems like they look for an excuse to close.
As a fellow New England expatriate I agree completely. But then again I fear the "crusty old Yankees" that were around then must be disappearing as well since the MA governor ordered all drivers off the roads before a storm a few years ago. That never would have happened when I was growing up there in the 60's.

Here is the difference: A few years ago we were in MA in February when it started snowing on Sunday morning and by dark it had accumulated to about 2 feet. By Monday morning the sidewalks and streets were clear and the kids were on their way to school. In VA the the snow inches to days off ratio is about 3 to 1 so they would have been off 7 or 8 days.

As a young driver I couldn't wait to get out in the snow and play around. Its what teaches you how to handle it, not fear it. By the time I was 18 I had my own Jeep and a plow route to pay for it.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #17  
At 04:20am it was RAINING hard!!
at 07:00am,, we had 1" of snow on grassy type surfaces (and cars)

It is still coming down,,,,, hard!

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #18  
As a fellow New England expatriate I agree completely. But then again I fear the "crusty old Yankees" that were around then must be disappearing as well since the MA governor ordered all drivers off the roads before a storm a few years ago. That never would have happened when I was growing up there in the 60's.

Here is the difference: A few years ago we were in MA in February when it started snowing on Sunday morning and by dark it had accumulated to about 2 feet. By Monday morning the sidewalks and streets were clear and the kids were on their way to school. In VA the the snow inches to days off ratio is about 3 to 1 so they would have been off 7 or 8 days.

As a young driver I couldn't wait to get out in the snow and play around. Its what teaches you how to handle it, not fear it. By the time I was 18 I had my own Jeep and a plow route to pay for it.
Aka “the wussification of America”

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia
Well I guess I have to eat my words on this one..
1-3-21 Snow.jpg

It started around 6 this morning and this pic was taken around 8:55. We just had "thunder snow" as well.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #20  
One thing we forget 'now' is that there are a lot more people on a lot more roads and everybody wants to get every where right now. Another thing is the vehicles. My 68 Fury III was a tank ... literally. I forget what it weighed, but it would go though 10" of snow with little effort. I won't put my '95 wagon on more than 2-3 inches.