How do you store you logging/tow chain?

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #351  
Got your idea somewhere? Copying is a sincere form of flattery but give credit where it is due!

BX Auxillary Chain Box Modification - YouTube

Dragoneggs, you are absolutely right and I apologize for not giving you credit! I watched your video add several others over a year ago and decided your method was the way to go. I added my first chain box several months ago and just recently got around to putting together the video on it and completely forgot to give you credit. So I have edited the video description to give you the credit for inspiring my project. Also I added your video to the end screen segment of mine. Again, I am very sorry for the omission!

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #352  
Thank the Lord - I no longer need nor use tractor tire chains. My logging/tow chains hang on large spikes. Driven into the vertical posts that form the main structural support for one of my carports. Out of the weather, off the ground. That's all I need.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #353  
My 2 cents:
My chains live in a metal 5-gallon pail with the hooks hooked on the top lip. Two chains per pail; 5/16" chain equipped with a clevis Slip Hook and a clevis Grab Hook at the other end. Each are about 15-20ft long. I keep the hooks on each chain painted either red or yellow - making them easier to locate when I'm using them in the brown leaves..... When I know I will be doing a job that may need a chain, I simply set one or two pails of chains in the front bucket and away we go. Once or twice a year I'll give the chains a quick squirt (from my 1qt hand sprayer containing diesel fuel) to keep them from rusting. Not enough oil to make them slimy, but enough to 'darken them' and keep them from getting rusty. Typically I am wearing gloves when handling chains anyway so any residual oil is not a biggie anyway.........If I anticipate the need, I will also toss in the pail a chain binder, 2lb hammer and felling wedges, etc. It works for me!

BarnieTrk

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #354  
I have a few of these around from when I was doing ship repair, handy for all kinds of climbing work or going down into nasty places where the sun don't shine.

IMG_20190330_113316.jpg

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #355  
My 2 cents:
My chains live in a metal 5-gallon pail with the hooks hooked on the top lip. Two chains per pail; 5/16" chain equipped with a clevis Slip Hook and a clevis Grab Hook at the other end. Each are about 15-20ft long. I keep the hooks on each chain painted either red or yellow - making them easier to locate when I'm using them in the brown leaves..... When I know I will be doing a job that may need a chain, I simply set one or two pails of chains in the front bucket and away we go. Once or twice a year I'll give the chains a quick squirt (from my 1qt hand sprayer containing diesel fuel) to keep them from rusting. Not enough oil to make them slimy, but enough to 'darken them' and keep them from getting rusty. Typically I am wearing gloves when handling chains anyway so any residual oil is not a biggie anyway.........If I anticipate the need, I will also toss in the pail a chain binder, 2lb hammer and felling wedges, etc. It works for me!

BarnieTrk

Once a year when my backhoe bucket is clean and free of mud, I put all my chains in the bucket and spray with a mix of 50-50 clean oil and diesel fuel. I let them sit for a week or so and the oil gets into all the nooks and crannies of the chains. Oh, add the chains a couple at a time and spray in layers so they all get coated. Chains have looked great for years this way.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #356  
   / How do you store you logging/tow chain? #359  
Once a year when my backhoe bucket is clean and free of mud, I put all my chains in the bucket and spray with a mix of 50-50 clean oil and diesel fuel. I let them sit for a week or so and the oil gets into all the nooks and crannies of the chains. Oh, add the chains a couple at a time and spray in layers so they all get coated. Chains have looked great for years this way.

A no brainer to preserve metal with oil, but then.... every time you use a chain its all oily? Isnt that just kinda disgusting to always be handling oily chains? Seems it would make a mess of your gloves, clothes, and anything else it contacts. And then don't they get more dirt stuck to them due to the oil?

I just try to keep my chains from ever getting wet. So they get a tiny bit rusty, no big deal.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #360  
I move my chains inside when not in use to minimize rust and theft. Even if they do rust a little bit doesn’t hurt anything. Oiling chains is insane. Any of my chains that get accidentally oiled get a prompt washing because they’re absolutely disgusting and ruin clothes.