More HP out of XJ2025H

/ More HP out of XJ2025H #1  

sbct

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XJ2025H
I come from a muscle car background where there are always ways to squeeze a little more power out of a motor. I have run into a few scenarios with either my box blade or trying to drag some fallen oak trees around where I simply ran out of power and the tractor came grinding to a stop. Didn't have traction problems, simply didn't have enough power to turn the wheels.

Has anybody done any tweaks to squeeze a little more HP and torque out of their tractors?

/ More HP out of XJ2025H #2  
I have run out of power and the tractor came to a stop. Didn't have traction problems, simply not enough power to turn the wheels.

If you have this perception of your sub-compact tractor after a short period of ownership it will make you crazy as time passes.

There is only so much a 1,600 pound tractor, with a two-range transmission can do. Consider a 3,200 pound tractor with 30-40 horsepower and a three-range HST. Tractor weight is the key consideration.

Heat accumulation often results if tractor diesels are tweaked.

Instead of dragging Oak trunks on the ground, obtain a relatively cheap cross-drawbar + boom which will allow you to elevate butts above dirt, reducing friction and keeping logs half clean. Cross-drawbar will increase your trunk pulling capacity by 50%. Elevated trunks will save your chains from abrasion, if you pull over hard surfaces.

I use a Dura Hitch with a short boom on a Kubota 'B'. It has been indestructible. Two widths: 20"/26"

LINKS: DURA HITCH

SHORT BOOM POLE ADAPTER

How much experience do you have with Box Blades? Maybe the BB is too wide. Maybe the BB angle of attack needs to be adjusted with Top Link. Maybe you will have to be content with partial fills. Maybe you will have to wait for a soaking rain, then optimum soil moisture. Maybe you need a heavier prime mover.

I would suggest letting tractor roll down sloped pavement with engine off, listening, to be sure you do not have a sticking brake or some other friction fault.

Expand on "grinding" stop.

Last edited:
   / More HP out of XJ2025H
Thank you for your input. I agree that I can work a little smarter to be more efficient with the power I do have such as elevating the Oak trunks like you suggested. I am also by no means an expert on box scraper operation and will do some more reading and research to try and learn better ways to use the implement.

I don't think there is anything mechanically wrong with my tractor, I just used the term "grinding to a stop" as a figure of speech. Mechanically she seems to be working perfectly as designed. I chose this 25HP size on purpose as I think it will be perfect for the maintenance of my property. The property is just new at the moment and never been used/lived on/developed in any way so I am asking for a little extra work out of this 2025H up front and she has taken a beating and keeps firing up for more the next morning! This post was by no means a complaint on the 2025H as she has performed awesome and probably done more and put up with more abuse that designed for. This post was just me trying to get more out of her than she is designed to provide.

/ More HP out of XJ2025H #4  
We're you in low range?

I have only ever owned gear tractors, and just recently on my first HST which has 3 ranges. I have yet to have any of them that would run out of power before gear.

Hst's are different. Need to get the rpms up, and when it starts to lug....most people's first reaction is MORE pedal....and that's backwards on a HST. As it starts to lug...let off the pedal.

/ More HP out of XJ2025H #5  
   / More HP out of XJ2025H #6  
Were you in low range? A tractor of that power to weight ratio shouldn't be running out of power. My tractor has a much lower power to weight ratio and still runs out of traction before power. It's a HST.

/ More HP out of XJ2025H
I was in low range and have the tires filled with water.

/ More HP out of XJ2025H #8  
Trying to give the pedal full power? Or letting off when it starts to struggle? Like I said, HST's are backwards if you're not used to them

/ More HP out of XJ2025H #9  
You do know the proper way to drive a HST don't you? More pedal doesn't equal more power like it does in a vehicle.

/ More HP out of XJ2025H
I am aware of that and typically grab the throttle handle to give it more rpms if it starts to bog down. Is that a bad idea?