P/S B7100/7200

/ P/S B7100/7200 #91  
Clark, can you summarize what parts you ended up using and how much they cost? Any pics would be great.

Merry Christmas.

/ P/S B7100/7200
Clarkvg -

Thanks for the update. Glad it works for you. I think the diverter directs the first 1 or 1.5 gpm to the power steering valve and then the overflow goes to the rest of the hydraulics. Not ideal, but as you stated it is not much of an inconvenience for the luxury of the power steering.

If I don't keep my linkages tight, mine will have a little lag also. I have had the spinner knob on mine for years, even before the power steering. I would not give it up for anything. Very handy.

Photos would be nice.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #93  
In summary;
I bought a complete power steering system off a John Deere 400, which included 4' cylinder, control valve with drag link, hoses, and a hydraulic block or manifold for $250. On the JD400 the steering radius is about 6" and JD designed the cylinder to be placed/drilled hole in the steering arm about half way. I didn't think the steering arm on the B7100 was heavy enough to drill a hole in it, so we tried to design a bracket to attach to the arm. It just didn't come together, so I bought a 8" cylinder ($45) and assemble it as MrPaul did. His pics of the control valve/drag link and the cylinder are very similar to mine.

We taped into the existing hydraulic system by adding a divider ($86.95) which provides 1.5GPM continuos flow to the control valve (power steering), and all new hoses ($200). My tractor has only 450 hours and looks in new condition so I wanted the power steering unit to look as good, otherwise I could have cobbled in the JD hoses and save the $200.

So my total cost for parts was less than $600 and its worth a lot more considering the convenience...

If I was considering adding power steering and didn't have the resources for the project, I would buy the hydrostatic kit (system) for $1,000 and hire the installation. The hydrostatic system is simpler to install, plus you would have the same system the new Kubota tractors come with. I would guess the total cost for a hydrostatic system including labor and hoses may approach $1,500 but its still worth it considering resale value.
Clark

/ P/S B7100/7200 #94  
Clark, thanks for taking the time to summarize. Nice job!

/ P/S B7100/7200 #95  
SOUNDS GREAT CLARK. WOULD YOU BE KIND ENOUGH TO POST SOME PICTURES? I AM SURE A LOT OF US WOULD LIKE TO SEE. THANK YOU.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #96  
I switch to a apple computer a couple of years ago and will have to learn how to post pics again, so it may take a little while.

Are there any specific pics you want?

Clark

/ P/S B7100/7200 #97  
HI CLARK, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE DRAG LINK AND THE WAY YOU SET UP THE SLAVE CYLINDER, AND ALSO THE DIVERTER VALVE SETUP. IT SOUNDS GOOD. THANK YOU.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #98  
Please post whatever pics you think would be helpfull. Ideas on hose connections and fabricated attachment points would be great. Thanks.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #99  
I will try to post some pics soon. I figured out how to post them but now I have to find my camera... its tough to get old.
Clark

/ P/S B7100/7200 #100  
I have a series of pics that show my power steering system on a B71000. Can someone explain to me how to attach the pics from my desk top to tractorbynet? I have an apple computer.

A phone call might make it easier... 6087861128

Thanks, Clark