P/S B7100/7200

/ P/S B7100/7200 #71  
There is a "power steering kit" for B5200/B6200/B7200 for sale on ebay right now. The listings says the kit is not complete, but does have the cylinder.

This might be of interest to someone on this thread.

I have no association with the seller.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #72  
great info everyone. i've done lots of auto work before and have replaced steering racks, but i don't really understand exactly how this is all put together. i have a few things lying around i believe i could make something work.

it looks like the one set up has an additional hydraulic cylinder pushing the wheels or whatever you call it - hubs, tie rod - towards the front of the tractor.

how are the hoses all routed? i would think there's just two hoses - a supply and return line to the hydraulic cylinder, like in a car steering rack. but there appears to be more than that. what am i missing?

and what's this valve for i see mentioned?

/ P/S B7100/7200 #73  
ON A CAR FOR EXAMPLE, YOUR STEERING SECTOR IS ALSO YOUR CONTROL VALVE DIRECTING THE FLOW OF FLUID TO THE RACK IN THE WAY YOU ARE TURNING YOUR WHEEL. ON A TRACTOR WITHOUT A P/S SECTOR, YOU NEED A SEPERATE VALVE, THEREFORE YOU NEED A HOSE FROM THE PUMP TO THE VALVE, FROM THE VALVE TO THE CYLINDER, FROM THE CYLINDER BACK TO THE PUMP. A TOTAL OF FOUR.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #74  
ah, thanks.
how/what does the valve do exactly? is it connected to anything but hoses?

you said 4 hoses but only named 3:
pump to valve, valve to cylinder, cylinder back to pump?

/ P/S B7100/7200 #75  
SORRY// FROM THE CYLINDER BACK TO VALVE AND THEN BACK TO PUMP. THE VALVE DIRECTS THE FLOW WHICH TELLS THE CYLINDER TO PUSH OR PULL WHEN TURNING THE STEERIN WHEEL.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #76  
i'm not seeing how the valve can tell whether to "push or pull" the cylinder. other than that, seems fairly simple.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #77  
ON MY TRACTOR, I USED A JD DRAG LINK WITH THE CONTROL VALVE AS PART OF IT,SO WHEN THE STEERING IS TURNED, IT PUSHES OR PULLS THE VALVE, SENDING THE FLUID IN THE PROPER DIRECTION.

/ P/S B7100/7200 #78  
ON MY TRACTOR, I USED A JD DRAG LINK WITH THE CONTROL VALVE AS PART OF IT,SO WHEN THE STEERING IS TURNED, IT PUSHES OR PULLS THE VALVE, SENDING THE FLUID IN THE PROPER DIRECTION.
oh, no kidding. that makes sense i think. so the wheels turning (compressing/tensioning) actuates the valve the proper direction? and in your case you still retained manual steering if for some reason the power steering failed? that's what i want to do. that should help me when i see your pictures again, you posted pic's right?

i have a few power steering components lying around so i'm tempted to give this a try at some point.

thanks!

/ P/S B7100/7200 #79  
Yes, the steering valve is open center, so I'm sure if I try to lift the 3 pt hitch while steering, one will not work well, but I can stop steering long enough while lifting the 3pt hitch. My other option is running off the loader pump, but I will be using the loader and steering quite often so I'll leave that as a last resort. I should know by Thanksgiving how it all works out, going up Wednesday to finish it up.

HI, I WONDER HOW YOUR P/S PROJECT IS GOING? I FEEL THAT I CAN ALWAYS LEARN FROM DIFFERENT IDEAS AND MAKE IMPROVEMENTS ON MY SETUP. IF YOU CAN POST SOME PICTURES, THAT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS

/ P/S B7100/7200 #80  
I'm still designing and redesigning my p/s system and have a couple of questions. If you read my earlier post(s) I was going to use "tees" to provide fluid to the power steering but after reading about the "open system" tees won't work... the fluid will go to the path of least resistance.

The hydraulic block near the brake pedals has 2 supply ports, presently on my tractor they both are going to the joystick to operate the loader. Does anyone know if there is a back flow restrictor between the the 2 ports? Please keep reading...

I want to leave one port connected to the joy stick as it is now, and the other port to a "Prince" priority flow divider which has a relief valve , a 1.5 GPM port, and another port (which will go back to the joy stick). The 1.5 GPM port will go to the control valve and feed the p/s cylinder ( the flow divider cost $86.95 at Surpluscenter.com). Its designed to always have 1.5 GPM flow to the that port.

Will this work?

Logic tells me that because the loader is presently functioning well, it should work, right?

Thanks, Clark