Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help!

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #21  
I think Kawasaki engines are hit or miss these days..Some of their commercial engines are known to use some oil, I believe that is the main reason for Kawi to push for using 20w50 oil

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #22  
I think Kawasaki engines are hit or miss these days..Some of their commercial engines are known to use some oil, I believe that is the main reason for Kawi to push for using 20w50 oil

I agree. Kawasaki used to be top of the line, but a Kawasaki motor in a ZTR mower is not a sure thing these days.

I'd take a Briggs Vanguard over a Kawasaki every time and all day every day. The Vanguard is a top quality commercial engine manufactured by Daihatsu and assembled by specially trained B&S people.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #23  
Agree with the used commercial option. They are much better built. I bought one 17 years ago (Deines) and other than tires and blades I haven't had a problem except one blade clutch last year.

The big question is front or mid mount. I prefer the front mount for a variety of reasons with the top 2 being deck access, i.e I can flip up the deck and clean and service it and the ability to gt under and around trees and bushes much closer, i.e less trimming and less industrial yard look (vegetation killed back a foot all around trees). The access and flexibility are huge factors.

Brands - Grasshopper, Deines, Kubota

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #24  
I agree. Kawasaki used to be top of the line, but a Kawasaki motor in a ZTR mower is not a sure thing these days.
I've had a couple Kawasaki powered zero turns.
My previous zero turn (2008 Hustler FasTrak) had a 21HP Kawasaki. Never used any oil between changes. My dad still has that machine, running good.
My current 2013 Hustler Super Z 72" has the Kawasaki FX 1000 (35 HP). I really like it so far.
Runs smooth, real good power and torque. I average around 70 hours per year, and the oil gets changed once per year. Uses no oil between changes so far.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #25  
Vince, I didn't say that all Kawasaki motors were crap. I said it's not a sure thing anymore like it used to be. I keep reading posts on lawn care forums of various problems, which makes me believe that you can get a bad Kawasaki just like you can get a bad Kohler or a bad Briggs.

I've had great luck with Vanguard motors, but that's anecdotal just like your great luck with Kawasaki is anecdotal.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #26  
given your budget, agree w/some you would be better off w/used commercial....finding a good one, like used equip or vehicles, would be the challenge. don't buy new w/that budget.you'd get stamped lightweight equip. that will only disappoint you in the long run. trust me, consumer grade these days, even with your budget, are all crap. even the raptor that boasts fabricated deck is way too lightweight, made for the short run suburban mow..... if you locate a heavy duty commercial used one, pay a service fee to have it checked out by your dependable ( & impartial) local shop and hopefully get the service record, etc....... i personally like kawi, but vanguard also has a good rep. kohler, not my fav..... imho

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #27  
After my Dixie chopper burned I'm in the market for another ZTR. I really want a diesel, but if the right deal came up I could live with a gasser. I'm looking hard at the Farris mowers. Another good candidate is the front deck Grasshopper. Since I'll likely be buying used it really depends on what I can find a deal on. I run 200-300 hours a year so I need something commercial grade.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #28  
After my Dixie chopper burned I'm in the market for another ZTR. I really want a diesel, but if the right deal came up I could live with a gasser. I'm looking hard at the Farris mowers. Another good candidate is the front deck Grasshopper. . . .

That's what I've got. Mine is a 729BT front-mount with the Briggs Vanguard motor and 61" PowerFold deck. I'm really happy with it. I wanted a diesel but this one came along with low hours and the right price.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #29  
How do the front decks Grasshoppers handle running across a pretty steep hill?

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #30  
I currently mow 4 acres of lawn and field every week, and made the mistake of borrowing my father-in-law's Hustler Fastrack 54" zero turn mower. What normally takes 4.5 hours with my 46" Craftsman lawn tractor took 2 hours with the zero turn. So now I want one of my own. But which one? My budget is $3500-$4500, I know I want a ZTR with a 52"-61" deck , serviceable ZT2800 or ZT3100 transmissions, a nice cut and one that is reliable and will last 10-15 years based on 60 hours of mowing a year. I like the idea of a 60-61" mower, any issues with a larger deck? I had no issues with the Hustler 54" deck scalping etc. No gates and space between trees no issue either.

Based on the dealers near me and my budget of $3500-$4500, I have narrowed it down to the following models:

1. Hustler Raptor SD 54 - $3800 - ZT2800, 25 hp Kohler 7000 engine, 54" deck, 20" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 650 lbs, 3 gal gas tank
2. Hustler Raptor SD 60 - $4300 - ZT2800, 26 hp Kohler 7000 engine, 60" deck, 20" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 685 lbs, 3 gal gas tank
3. Husqvarna MZ52LE - $4400 - ZT3100, 23 hp Kawasaki FR engine, 52" deck, 22" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 740 lbs, 5 gal gas tank
4. Husqvarna MZ61 - $4700 - ZT3100, 27 hp Briggs Endurance engine, 61" deck, 22" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 770 lbs, 5 gal gas tank
5. Scag Liberty Z - $4400 - ZT2800, 24 hp Kohler 7000 engine, 52" deck, 20" / 11" wheels, 5 year warranty, 640 lbs, 5.5 gal gas tank
6. Simplicity Courier - $4000 - ZT2800, 25 hp Briggs engine, 52" deck, 20" / 11" wheels, 3 year warranty, ??? lbs, 3 gal gas tank, built in suspension and cargo bed

The lawn is one 2 acres field, and then 2 acres broken into small parcels due to driveway, trees, buildings etc. Mostly level, with some slight grades. Lawn is decently smooth, field is a bit rougher, but I plan to smooth out the field in the next year so I can mow at full speed. See below.

View attachment 472418

Looking for expert advice. All seem to be decent machines, but looking for something that would make one better than the others. Increasing the budget is not really an option, and I want a local servicing dealer, so that ruled out Bad Boy, Cub Cadet, Gravely, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper and others.
The ZT 3100 transmission is going to be better than the 2800 (higher the better) and 3400 is going to be better still but I don't think you will get the 3400 series for $4500. Get the one with larger tires, it will ride smoother. I love the suspension on my Ferris, but if you have no dealer close by then that could be an issue although I haven't sent my mower in for services in the 3 years I owned it, just change the oil in engine and transmission, sharpen blades and that is it all of which is easily done at home.
The higher end transmissions will have a filter on them and oil drain plugs (they do require 100 hour oil changes) but that makes them last longer also. All the other items are going to be pretty much the same with all the mowers. Too bad you eliminated most of the best brands (meaning most popular)of mowers.

I would opt for any of the mowers with larger tires, serviceable transmission, fabricated deck (meaning thicker metal than most pressed steel decks although JD's 7 iron pressed deck is pretty thick at 7mm thick) and most importantly Kawasaki engine. My Ferris has the 23HP FS691 engine and it burns less gas than my Craftsman ZT 6000 with 26HP B&S engine PLUS I think it has more power.

So for the ones you have listed, the Husky MZ52 LE is the one I would pick for the bigger tires and the better transmission (3100) plus the Kawasaki engine although the FR is considered a Residential engine compared to a FS or FX which are heavier duty engines with the FX being fully commercial grade. Other than different air cleaners I am not sure what differences they have though.

For me, I prefer a manually adjustable deck rather than electrically since the electric is just one more thing to wear out. Also a chain hung deck is going to be more durable than one with linkages so look for that also.