Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help!

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
I currently mow 4 acres of lawn and field every week, and made the mistake of borrowing my father-in-law's Hustler Fastrack 54" zero turn mower. What normally takes 4.5 hours with my 46" Craftsman lawn tractor took 2 hours with the zero turn. So now I want one of my own. But which one? My budget is $3500-$4500, I know I want a ZTR with a 52"-61" deck , serviceable ZT2800 or ZT3100 transmissions, a nice cut and one that is reliable and will last 10-15 years based on 60 hours of mowing a year. I like the idea of a 60-61" mower, any issues with a larger deck? I had no issues with the Hustler 54" deck scalping etc. No gates and space between trees no issue either.

Based on the dealers near me and my budget of $3500-$4500, I have narrowed it down to the following models:

1. Hustler Raptor SD 54 - $3800 - ZT2800, 25 hp Kohler 7000 engine, 54" deck, 20" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 650 lbs, 3 gal gas tank
2. Hustler Raptor SD 60 - $4300 - ZT2800, 26 hp Kohler 7000 engine, 60" deck, 20" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 685 lbs, 3 gal gas tank
3. Husqvarna MZ52LE - $4400 - ZT3100, 23 hp Kawasaki FR engine, 52" deck, 22" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 740 lbs, 5 gal gas tank
4. Husqvarna MZ61 - $4700 - ZT3100, 27 hp Briggs Endurance engine, 61" deck, 22" / 13" wheels, 3 year warranty, 770 lbs, 5 gal gas tank
5. Scag Liberty Z - $4400 - ZT2800, 24 hp Kohler 7000 engine, 52" deck, 20" / 11" wheels, 5 year warranty, 640 lbs, 5.5 gal gas tank
6. Simplicity Courier - $4000 - ZT2800, 25 hp Briggs engine, 52" deck, 20" / 11" wheels, 3 year warranty, ??? lbs, 3 gal gas tank, built in suspension and cargo bed

The lawn is one 2 acres field, and then 2 acres broken into small parcels due to driveway, trees, buildings etc. Mostly level, with some slight grades. Lawn is decently smooth, field is a bit rougher, but I plan to smooth out the field in the next year so I can mow at full speed. See below.

Lawn.jpg

Looking for expert advice. All seem to be decent machines, but looking for something that would make one better than the others. Increasing the budget is not really an option, and I want a local servicing dealer, so that ruled out Bad Boy, Cub Cadet, Gravely, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper and others.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #2  
Not an expert here but the Husqvarna's with the ZT 3100 to me would have the edge because of the transmission. I have no experience with either transmission and don't know the differences between either. The 3100 should be heavier duty but again this is an assumption and no real world experience.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #3  
I feel your pain - looked for months at ZTs, and found them to be very close and competitive.

The big standout for me was engines - I consistently 'heard' that the Kawasaki engines led the field.
I ended up going a different direction, no ZT at all - now have a tractor with a Kawasaki engine.
The other thing I learned - the tranny. Again went with a heavy duty transmission.
BTE, The warranty on the machines with the KAW engines was usually better/longer coverage.
Buy the engine and transmission- FWIW.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #4  
Will definitely agree with WF! Go for the Kawasaki My '12 Cub has been trouble free. Changed the oil and filter every 50 hrs; has over 300hrs cutting 7 acres.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #5  
I too was looking and comparing ZTR's recently. The husqvarna MZT looks like a good value. My suggestion is to sit on all of them. Take a look at the wheel base (longer = smoother ride), width of rear wheels and engine placement for stability on hills. I don't think you can make a bad decision on any of the choices out there. I agree look for the Kaw engine and the better transmission.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #7  
   / Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #8  
Will definitely agree with WF! Go for the Kawasaki My '12 Cub has been trouble free. Changed the oil and filter every 50 hrs; has over 300hrs cutting 7 acres.
+1 on the Kawasaki engines. I have owned two riders going back 25 years and not a single issue with either. I'm convinced they are one of the best.

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #9  
I like the KAW engines myself, last GT was 19 years old when i sold it, routine maintenance was all that it required & that was running the "E" fuel.
Then there was the old weedeater that the KAW engine out lasted & a couple of mowers my mom-n-law had with them.
Current JD ZTR is KAW powered as well, now the old Kohler powered TroyBilt tiller has been fantastic, so i know they make good engines.

Ronnie

/ Zero Turn Mowers - Too Many Choices, Need Help! #10  
I have about 40 trouble free hours on one. If they truly had a bad batch of castings like the link suggested and they fail with low hours then that is what warranties are for.

As far as mower I'd go with the MZ52, great mower for the money.

I have several Kohler engines with many hours. Not knocking Kohler, just that there are reports of problems with some recent ones. They are being taken care of.