ZD1211 work light addition

/ ZD1211 work light addition #1  

xring100

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540, ZD1211 60"
My zd1211 is awesome but as many know it does not come with any lights standard. I dont want to mow at night but sometimes im pulling around my dump cart or over at the neighbors and it gets dark out. I bought a light off Amazon that fits the same form factor as a rigid scene light.
I bought the same work light switch as my M8540 but was unable to locate the connector so i ended up soldering leads to the terminals.

I removed the kubota emblem and found the holes were spaced perfectly for the light. I drilled a hole to route the wire through.

Power is tied into the accessory wiring bundled found on the left and side under the seat wrapped in blue tape.

Im going to add one more backup light.

i also ordered the 40 amp alternator upgrade for a b series as i want to fit an boom type sprayer to the back of the mower

If i were to do it again i would use the switch below as it has a pigtail attached
Kubota Work Light Switch (36919-54222) | Coleman Equipment 20200410_160933.jpeg20200410_141209.jpeg20200325_150218.jpeg20200410_212655.jpeg

/ ZD1211 work light addition #2  
Looks slick - like an OEM install! How is it for lighting the way?

/ ZD1211 work light addition
Thanks its pretty descent. I could probably finish up a mowing job if necessary. I may actually add a second light to the front at some point.

The house is roughly 40 feet away in this picture it taken when it was dark and no moon20200325_212713.jpeg

/ ZD1211 work light addition #4  
When using that switch with pigtail, would you make your own harness/plug to plug into that ?

When using that switch with pigtail, would you make your own harness/plug to plug into that ?
I would just cut that connector off and crimp on bullet connectors to the appropriate wires. The kubota wire harness on the ZD has bullet connectors from the factory.

I would tie the two leads that need to be connected by crimping them in one connector

/ ZD1211 work light addition #6  
Where the kubota light switch pops in. Does original black plastic pop out to install the switch ?

Where the kubota light switch pops in. Does original black plastic pop out to install the switch ?
No i just cut it with a razor blade you can see the outline where the factory switches go for bigger model with dpf switches. The plastic is thin here and easy to cut

/ ZD1211 work light addition #8  
Thanks, Saw the cutouts, I’ll cut them out. I need to dig a little more. But I see under the seat there is the power wires taped in blue. Then under the fuel tanks on each side is another set of wires taped up in blue as well. I’m assuming for a left and right light

Thanks, Saw the cutouts, I’ll cut them out. I need to dig a little more. But I see under the seat there is the power wires taped in blue. Then under the fuel tanks on each side is another set of wires taped up in blue as well. I’m assuming for a left and right light
Yes those to are for the factory work light option. I put a spare fuse in the accessory port plug to activate that main bundle you found under the seat. The two other wires sets i left taped up

/ ZD1211 work light addition #10  
So on my mower, The pigtail under the seat (bullet connectors) is a red with blue trader and ground. This has 12v all the time The white connector on each side of radiator down by bottom of fuel tanks powered up when I put a fuse in the “work light” location.
So Kubota must make a harness to switch the constant power fed to these pigtails

IMG_6678.jpg