Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,391  
25kW is definitely in the realm of what's "affordable" in home solar and battery tech nowadays. Especially remembering that you don't use 25kW 100% of the time, and comparing costs with brands like Cummins, CAT, or Kubota.
Due to grid reliability, I'm about to splurge on a 12kW/15kVA 230/400V 3 phase inverter charger stack and 15kWH of lithium storage. It will be primarily there to UPS the house, and connected to our existing 1500W solar array. Numbers suggest that with care we won't run the batteries flat even in multi day outages.

Related to maintenance: Predator generator full of mice
Cool system that you are building up Patrick.

Regardless of energy source, batteries+inverters are a great addition to a system. 90cummins has posted some significant data here on his hybrid system - feel free to post up more data about yours, including cost #'s if you feel like sharing.

A generator down for maintenance, or worse yet, major repairs..... batteries+inverters+alt NRG source.... :):):)

2 is One.....

Rgds, D.

#6,392  
I may have posted this one before, they powered a family of four house for 24hrs with a bunch of people on bikes
No batteries in the system, only a modest sized ultra capacitor stack to buffer the DC between the bikes and the inverters.
Got to get my day rolling, so that's long enough I'll watch later.....

40 watts is what is stuck in my head, right or wrong..... as in what an average (not olympic-class, but def above most Can/USA adults) fit adult can put out on a sustained basis.... interesting to see if/what #'s these guys come up with.

Rgds, D.

#6,393  
Robin great information.

I have been using the Battery Tender Brand on all our battery start equipment and toys that do not get used weekly throughout the 4 seasons. 1 Auto, 1 Tractor, 2 PWCs, 1 Motorcycle, 1 Diesel Generator, and a 1 ZTR Mower. Fit all with quick connect fused lead to battery terminal lugs.

The Battery Tenders are various models from 3/4 amp, 0.8 amp, and a dual unit with 1.25 amp for each side.

We keep the Battery Tenders plugged into the 120 VAC receptacle 365/7/24 and only disconnect the 12 DC quick connect output going to the battery when using the equipment. (We do not disconnect maintainer on the diesel generator when doing monthly generator checks even though it also charges the battery when running. The maintainer monitors battery voltage and stops charging when the engine charge circuit is active above iirc 13.7 VDC).

We use good quality AGM and Flooded Lead Acid Batteries. All are "maintenance free" that do not have access to fill with water. The batteries on maintainers seem to last 10 to 17 years before needing replacement.

I got tired of changing batteries after 3 to 5 years, so started using Battery Maintainers with good success. Make sure to use good units that reduce the current when battery is at full charge so you do not damage the battery from overcharging. Most of our equipment and toys are not used from November thru April. During non-use periods, the battery internal discharge over time combined with some of the equipment that have a small current drain from engine control modules (ECMs) keep reducing the battery state of charge which reduces the battery service life over time. Likely if you are using the equipment each week throughout the year long enough to keep batter fully charged you will not benefit from a maintainer.

Some of the maintainers are over 20 years old and I have never had to replace one yet. I like the added battery longevity when using maintainers.

Some day I should calculate how much electricity it takes to keep the 7 battery maintainers on 365/7/24. I suspect it is still much less expensive then replacing batteries often. Good batteries are not cheap.

I
I too like to get max-life out of my batteries.... using the practices we've been discussing.....

However..... grs makes an important point - accurate battery load-testing is what will tell you exactly where things are at.

For something that HAS TO start - changing the battery pro-actively at something like 5 years is not a bad plan.

Rgds, D.

#6,394  
My Generac's software automatically runs my unit every Wednesday, around 1PM for 15 minutes!!!!
I was wondering about that quote...... from the Way Back Machine ! (y)

Automatic is nice..... easy to forget....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,395  
A couple of comments…

For 20+ years I maintained/serviced the Hospital Emergency generators… it was why I was originally hired back in 1991… never a single issue and flawless performance…

I have block heaters on all the gensets as cold start to full load must occur in 10 seconds and it consistently is 7 seconds.

The State decided only Factory trained could perform annual and the first year the tech took over he reversed phases on the smaller 480 volt 150 amp unit after the load bank test was completed.

Testing the following week blew out several electric rooftop HVAC motors, cooked circuit breakers, etc… being slammed at full voltage into reverse at full forward speed cant ever imagine anything good for 5, 20 and 20 hp.

Also no longer allowed by permit to weekly exercise … only once every 30 days… new air board requirement.

Also batteries must now be sealed and replaced every 36 months… even if test perfect.

Just posting from experience…

We dodged a bullet because had e power been required we would have been sunk…

Last edited:
#6,396  
A couple of comments…

For 20+ years I maintained/serviced the Hospital Emergency generators… it was why I was originally hired back in 1991… never a single issue and flawless performance…

I have block heaters on all the gensets as cold start to full load must occur in 10 seconds and it consistently is 7 seconds.

The State decided only Factory trained could perform annual and the first year the tech took over he reversed phases on the smaller 480 volt 150 amp unit after the load bank test was completed.

Testing the following week blew out several electric rooftop HVAC motors, cooked circuit breakers, etc… being slammed at full voltage into reverse at full forward speed cant ever imagine anything good for 5, 20 and 20 hp.

Also no longer allowed by permit to weekly exercise … only once every 30 days… new air board requirement.

Also batteries must now be sealed and replaced every 36 months… even if test perfect.

Just posting from experience…

We dodged a bullet because had e power been required we would have been sunk…

Good examples of why I'm a libertarian, about many things.

Well, at least you have a nice supply available of lightly used batteries, for other projects....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,397  
Good examples of why I'm a libertarian, about many things.

Well, at least you have a nice supply available of lightly used batteries, for other projects....

Rgds, D.
Using them for solar at the remote barn… ha ha

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,399  
You can save big by doing your own maintenance or it can cost you big time as this piston from a 15kw engine engine shows.
Unit was brought in with excessive blow by. Interior of unit was covered in oil.
I’m told it dropped a valve so they replaced the head & did a compression test which was 190 psi & determined it was good to go.
Didn’t work out so well.
I would expect much more damage if it dropped a valve!
I suspect something was dropped down intake🤨
Ordered 2 new pistons cut a valve seat & currently waiting on a couple small parts.
It will be used as a backup.
90cummins

IMG_8042.jpeg

#6,400  
You can save big by doing your own maintenance or it can cost you big time as this piston from a 15kw engine engine shows.
Unit was brought in with excessive blow by. Interior of unit was covered in oil.
I’m told it dropped a valve so they replaced the head & did a compression test which was 190 psi & determined it was good to go.
Didn’t work out so well.
I would expect much more damage if it dropped a valve!
I suspect something was dropped down intake🤨
Ordered 2 new pistons cut a valve seat & currently waiting on a couple small parts.
It will be used as a backup.
90cummins

View attachment 842402
OUCH !

Nice recovery though, as always ! (y)

Rgds, D.