You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,141  

Wouldn't a redistribution of mass from the poles to the equator cause the earth to slow down, not speed up? I'm not a physicist, but I did do well enough in high school and basic college physics to remember that the speed of rotation is proportional to moment, and moment is proportional to radius of mass.
Yeah. Like a figure skater spinning. Arms out, slow down, arms in speed up.

Speaking of that... if anyone ever gets the chance....

Find yourself an airplane hangar, a good office chair that swivels nicely, a couple cans of oil, some good friends, and a camera.

Sit in the chair criss cross applesauce and hold the oil cans in your outstretched arms.

Have your good friends get you spinning around pretty good, then start pulling the oil cans in to your chest.

Great fun! :sick:

:ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,143  
Why is it ever turned off?
At my old job, we'd force updates and maintenance down to PCs at off-times. They were set to go to sleep to save energy, but we'd wake them up remotely to do the maint.
My private home laptop is kept in the satchel should I need it… sometimes I might not turn it on for 60 days and other times it’s used nightly several days in a row.

Our corp IT training said a laptop turned off when not used is good security.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,144  
Left to right... pardon me if I spelled them incorrectly.

Garret Morris
Jane Curtain
John Belushi
Lorraine Newman
Dan Akroid
Gilda Radnor
Bill Murray
Really? Could've sworn the girl in the middle was Carrol Kane

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,145  
I do like north Florida, but long term... it's getting full and expensive. When I look at NE Alabama, and see what the same money buys...
And I'm in NE Mississippi. When I first started getting land down there in ~1984 I was offered a buy of ~1,000 acres at $100/acre, partially swampland, but wife nixed it, :(
I was happy win win98 and the programs I had and it was simple.

Every time I open the win10 after a few weeks it slows to a crawl as it goes through all the updates.

At work the it’s always 5 minutes each morning from turn on to ready to use and then good for the day.
Is it a hard drive problem? I only use laptops, last yr my W10 1 TB was so slow (11 minute bootup on a good day) I finally got a Dell refurb w/ a SSD. Bootup is now < a minute.
Work laptop was 9 minutes. Home laptop about 30 seconds.
But for many of us the problem is that so many good basic programs are developed for the windoze market and not available on the Linux market.
I've been using Linux since v0.95 (~1992 and on 13 microfloppies) and one of the main problems I face is which "flavor" to use.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,147  
And I'm in NE Mississippi. When I first started getting land down there in ~1984 I was offered a buy of ~1,000 acres at $100/acre, partially swampland, but wife nixed it, :(

Is it a hard drive problem? I only use laptops, last yr my W10 1 TB was so slow (11 minute bootup on a good day) I finally got a Dell refurb w/ a SSD. Bootup is now < a minute.

But for many of us the problem is that so many good basic programs are developed for the windoze market and not available on the Linux market.
I've been using Linux since v0.95 (~1992 and on 13 microfloppies) and one of the main problems I face is which "flavor" to use.
It’s a not very expensive HO with few files and only MS business suite… really for traveling.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,149  

I have yet to find anything that can be done in Windows that cannot be done just as easily in Linux, even if it means using "Wine" (which I don't) to run a Windows app, that is if you are dead set on using an app written for Windows. I have found there are usually several Linux apps that will do anything that Windows can, always faster and using less resources.

But yes the biggest problem is deciding which flavor to go with, I started out with Mandrake. I finally settled on Debian (testing). Linux Mint, Red Hat are also very good selections and I suppose Ubuntu is as well but I am not as sold on it since they have a Windows flavor in the way they control their product.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,150  
Maybe you are mixing up Saturday Night Live with her and Bill Murray in Princess Bride?
lol... it gets worse! That would've been Scrooged. She was also in Princess Bride, but that was opposite Billy Crystal. She was good in Princess Bride, but great in Scrooged.