You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,153  
How did you do that?
It's been years since I did it, but as I recall, you boot from an installation disc, choose the repair option VS the install option, wipe the passwords on the hard drive, reboot, choose your new password and bob's your uncle.

I had another disc that would do all of that stuff for you. It was ridiculously easy.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,154  
It's been years since I did it, but as I recall, you boot from an installation disc, choose the repair option VS the install option, wipe the passwords on the hard drive, reboot, choose your new password and bob's your uncle.

I had another disc that would do all of that stuff for you. It was ridiculously easy.

Interesting. I have never messed with that. I do have a hardware device that will connect to a variety of hard drive types, and it allows you to read the data from another computer.

If a computer died, I could remove the hard drive and get the data with this approach. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to care about passwords required to access the data.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,155  
Interesting. I have never messed with that. I do have a hardware device that will connect to a variety of hard drive types, and it allows you to read the data from another computer.

If a computer died, I could remove the hard drive and get the data with this approach. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to care about passwords required to access the data.
Depends on the levels of security. At my old job, you couldn't do that. You'd have to take ownership of the user's account as an administrator. Home PCs are generally not secured all that great compared to a company that follows a good set of rules to prevent that.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,156  
Umm... guys? Bitlocker was available, even back in Win7!

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,159  
I have been using Linuxmint for years very easy to use:

1713326406483.png

willy

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,160  
Toaster.
I was just thinking today remember when you opened an account at a bank they gave you a toaster?
DVD player and year end a tax statement of value which was about 50% higher than the discount stores.