You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,121  
When you have learned to work smart. And to time things. And you are old when you are the one that says, "This" has to come first, before we do anything else, from experience.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#2,122  
Supposedly using the chip is more secure.
Yet your experience is one reason I always have enough cash to cover any purchase I'm making.

We don’t offer Apple Pay at the tennis club.

When I tell kids that, they practically drop over.

One kid (say 18) asked, “well, how am I supposed to buy a drink”?

I said - “cash, credit or charge your account”.

He says “I only have my phone”.

Ok - then charge your account?

He says - “my Mom prohibits me from charging to her account. What am I supposed to do”?

Well - here is an idea - use your phone to call your Mom and get permission to charge the account.

He left without a drink.

Interesting dynamic going on.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,123  
I can remember when we used the flap on the
book matches to set the points cars/trucks and
lawn mowers

willy

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,124  
Still use that one to set coil gap on BS engines

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,125  
IMHO, the last Windows OS that was a genuine improvement over the previous version was Windows 7. Since then, newer versions are just different and more annoying. The hoops that I currently have to go through just to NOT back my data up to the cloud are ridiculous.
I'm still running WIN7, and have had to help so many friends with trying to get rid of all the spyware and bloatware in WIN10 and WIN11, I will migrate to a distro of Linux before I install them on one of my machines.
I have a drive in my computer that I regularly image my C: drive to, just in case I have a failure or a crash.
Actually, I liked WIN XP after they got the bugs worked out of it. Smaller memory footprint and not so much of a resource hog. They just keep adding more features that no one needs or wants, but it keeps the programmers making big bucks.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,126  
Supposedly using the chip is more secure.
Yet your experience is one reason I always have enough cash to cover any purchase I'm making.
My understanding is that there is an antenna along the perimeter of the card that excites the chip, so both inserting and tapping use the same chip. Antenna read range should be less than 2". Physical card skimmers (like on gas pumps) don't work on contactless, but I do worry about that 2" bump range.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,127  
I was happy win win98 and the programs I had and it was simple.

Every time I open the win10 after a few weeks it slows to a crawl as it goes through all the updates.

At work the it’s always 5 minutes each morning from turn on to ready to use and then good for the day.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,128  
I was happy win win98 and the programs I had and it was simple.

Every time I open the win10 after a few weeks it slows to a crawl as it goes through all the updates.

At work the it’s always 5 minutes each morning from turn on to ready to use and then good for the day.
Work laptop was 9 minutes. Home laptop about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,129  
Admittedly, I was only a kid when this was the cast, but I'm having trouble with the pair between Carol Kane and Bill Murray. Is it a young Dan Akroyd and Laraine Newman... or Gilda Radnor? The rest are pretty obvious.

I think Murray replaced Chevy Chase, so this is not the original cast, but close to it.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,130  
Admittedly, I was only a kid when this was the cast, but I'm having trouble with the pair between Carol Kane and Bill Murray. Is it a young Dan Akroyd and Laraine Newman... or Gilda Radnor? The rest are pretty obvious.

I think Murray replaced Chevy Chase, so this is not the original cast, but close to it.
Dan Akroyd and Gilda Radner. I would not have recognized Carol Kane? or is that Laraine Newman?

Last edited: