You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,611  
because their parents don’t enforce doing homework and study assignments.
TRUTH!
To many parents are trying to be "friends" with their children rather than parents, and that is now becoming second generation.
My parents and grandparents (RIP) spent a lot of their time with me training me instead of trying to be buddies. And that involved a lot of guidance and correction, and I was a "first born" child.
I tried to do the same, and once I was satisfied they "knew" the essentials of a task, be it shoveling snow, changing the oil on a car, or calculus they were good to go. I tended to give them some slack to learn by minor mistakes, but be ready to recue them from major mistakes.
Sort of a difference between "helicopter parenting" and "standoff battleship parenting".
Being "friends" with your children is much easier when they are adults.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,612  
I try only to be an Iowa class bb when despite forewarning, life, limb, or irreversible damage to what I'm trying to teach them to use or do is imminent.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,613  
I burn wood at my cabin, I'm pretty capable of safely and efficiently making wood every year imo, and I enjoy doing it. Yet in sharp contrast next to wood burning stove is a robotic roomba cleaning up bark etc, which I activate from my home over 500 miles away so old ways with easy for me to use, modern technology thrown in the mix. For the safety conscious NFPA standard advocates that's ceramic wood grain faux tile on a concrete slab.

Attachments

• KIMG2316.JPG
    KIMG2316.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,614  
I didn't go to a Catholic school, but when I was in elementary school, we did have an old retired minister that came around every week and gave us Bible lessons, for which we had to buy a workbook from him. Quite a sweet deal for him. It kind of planted the seeds of doubt in my young mind about why, if God loved us so much, we had to pay to learn about him.
You ever go to a Catholic Las Vegas night? How about BINGO? :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow... the intent was to raise money for the church and school, and I gave them plenty. 🙃

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,615  
As long as the company selling those devices doesn't go titsup and they can't talk to the servers in the cloud, like some have done.
Who needs a cloud server? Just install everything yourself, set up your own domain, pay for a static IP address, write your own apps, get some public domain software, spend a few months teaching yourself to code, and off you go.

(better ask the kids how to do all that, I've forgotten)

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,616  
I see this in several areas…

The big one is when one becomes a homeowner and dependent on trades for everything…

My grandmother and mom had no problems lighting a pilot light, building a fire or plunging a toilet.

Another area is automotive… they could put on chains with the best of them and checking the oil, radiator and tire pressure easy peasy.

Another is simple accounting such as learned with keeping a checkbook…
Both of our daughters can light pilot lights, build fires, plunge toilets, snake drains, check auto fluids and change tires. Debit card is plastic checkbook. Online banking keeps track of all of that nicely. ;)

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,618  
You enjoy playing bingo with other folks? my wife and I do occasionally. lol

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,619  
Our DIL told my wife their daughter deserved to go to Disney Land and they were planning a trip.

My wife asked "Why does she deserve to go, does she do laundry, clean up after the dog, load the dishwasher, exactly what does she do to deserve the trip". That really upset the DIL, she stomped off with out an answer.

Our granddaughter does nothing beyond social media and has NO responsibilities and that is a major problem in today's environment a lot of parents are not parenting.

Our son should know better he grew up with responsibilities but, happy wife, happy life.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,620  
I worked for a guy while in college who maintained a synagogue and we'd have to set up 20 chairs for the Saturday service and 150 for Wednesday night bingo. Priorities 🤷🏻‍♂️
Heard from a Reformed pastor, and later confirmed by a Rabbi, "most Jews are atheists". Their argument was that many congregants are more concerned with tradition and process, than religious belief.