You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,601  
I guess you can say you are old if you ever actually got out of your car to open the garage door.

Get out of the car and unlock the padlock, swing open the right side to the stop and then swing the left open to the stop...

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,602  
What's perhaps more interesting about MTV, than their first day, is the list of videos they played ad-nauseum. I remember one summer (1990?) when it seemed every third video they played was Queensryche's Silent Lucidity. Great tune, the first 3 times you hear it, but you're subjected to it 4 times per hour for 4 months, it really loses its luster.

The first of these, "please kill me if I hear it again" MTV music videos was "Hey Mickey" by Toni Basil. "Relax" from Frankie Goes to Hollywood, "I'm so sexy" from Right Said Fred, "Gonna make you sweat (Everybody dance now)" from C+C Music Factory, the symphonic derailment from Metallica, "Groove is in the heart" from Dee Lite. MC Hammer? Who else?
Yep... I miss Hammer Time...

He's a local from the same neighborhood as Richie Rich...

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,603  
That's what we had for 8 years. Then I went to Catholic high school and was introduced to the concept of Home Room... what's that???

We had a 1st period class, then went to our "home room" to hear a prayer, pledge and announcements. The usually took about 15 minutes. If you were lucky, your 2nd period class was in the same room, so you had 5 minutes to hang out and talk with friends. If not, off to the races to get to your next class. Seemed like they almost purposely planned your classes to alternate between different ends of the building.

By senior year, we'd figured out which lockers were empty around the school and we'd keep our books and supplies for that end of the building over there. ;)

I didn't go to a Catholic school, but when I was in elementary school, we did have an old retired minister that came around every week and gave us Bible lessons, for which we had to buy a workbook from him. Quite a sweet deal for him. It kind of planted the seeds of doubt in my young mind about why, if God loved us so much, we had to pay to learn about him.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,604  
OHHH..... You don't want to call ahead and set the vacation home to be nice a toasty when you walk in the door? Or have it notify you if the system fails and the pipes could freeze? Or let you know that you're running low on Olde Frothingslosh?
As long as the company selling those devices doesn't go titsup and they can't talk to the servers in the cloud, like some have done.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,605  
Says a lot about US education. A whole lot.
It also shows that many young people are more interested in what the latest scandal is going around on social media than learning life skills. You can't force kids to learn anything, well, at least today you can't. When I was in high school there were two kids in my class that has been held back a year, which made them work a little harder the next year.
It's all about motivation.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,606  
I see this in several areas…

The big one is when one becomes a homeowner and dependent on trades for everything…

My grandmother and mom had no problems lighting a pilot light, building a fire or plunging a toilet.

Another area is automotive… they could put on chains with the best of them and checking the oil, radiator and tire pressure easy peasy.

Another is simple accounting such as learned with keeping a checkbook…

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,607  
You know you are old if you ever gave a cashier $5 for a 42 cent purchase and the cashier counted the change back to you starting with the 42 cents and ending at $5 when all the change was in your hand. Even older if you did that :)
You know you're old when you take $100-.42 =.58 (which equals $1) and then take $1-$5=$4 so you know the change is $4.58 AND you don't have to count out loud.

Moyers Exxon and Arby's all day long baby LOL Although back in the day Exxon ran "cash back" on every gallon bought on some promo's, and we had to get the calculator out and take the discount multiplied by the gallons, then subtract it from the total LOL

Back in those days, if you used a credit card, you had to manually swipe the credit card onto paper to get the imprint of the card and hand one piece back to the customer and keep 1 or 2 yourself (I'm old, I forgot how many LOL). Always nice to do in winter in Pennsylvania when it was 20 degrees outside and you had to take your gloves off to use them OR walk back into the counter where you could get some temporary heat because your job was pumping gas.

CCM.png

You know you're old when your bill comes out to $10.50 and you stop handing the cashier $20.50 (extra change to just get bills back) because you're getting tired of completely confusing the cashier ;)

OR you know your old when you know you're an idiot because you think "common core" math is complete and utter bull scheisse because you had to give the homework assignment of helping your two 7 year olds to your wife because you started using some fowl languge trying to figure it out basic math problems yourself:ROFLMAO:

For of those you that are REALLY old and never lived "common core", see below for a simple comparison of "old school" math vs common core math

CC.png

OK, common core math rant off;)

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,608  
Never really got what the big hype was over Apple stuff. Never saw them as any better, just more expensive. I've tended to avoid them since most of their stuff is proprietary.
In the process of replacing my 16 or so year old Mac desktop.

Never once in that 16 years have I ever had an issue with that desktop.

Only reason why I'm replacing it is the software is finally not available to update after we already updated 1 or 2 or more times LOL I complained to my wife about this, and she just told me to try and get that kind of lifespan out of another desktop.

My wife writes code for the last 28 years. She seems to envy the way Apple does some things.

I do know my company got kind of ticked when I sent my new laptop back because I despised windows 10 and I just use my macbook when I have to access our system remotely LOL

I know nothing about computers and don't know what I'm talking about, just know what I like ;)

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,609  
I heard being in your 40s is the new 20s but why does my wife and kids say and think I'm in my 80s??? So I showed them I bought an electric can opener (I phone loving tech guru wife never owned one) and a roomba with a clean base lol.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,610  
Says a lot about US education. A whole lot.
I think it says a lot about parenting, more than our educational system.

I will almost guarantee both of my children are better at arithmetic and basic algebra, than 99% of this forum. So are a few of their classmates, while others sitting right beside them in class are dragging the whole class down, because their parents don’t enforce doing homework and study assignments.

There’s always room for improvement in our educational system, but the major failing here is not the system, it’s the parents and societal acceptance of slacking. Someone posted a meme yesterday on this forum saying something like, “I’m okay with equal pay, as soon as we have equal effort.” That applies to students, as well.