You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,331  
I mentioned it here a while back and once again, everyone told me that the drive shaft was bad. Never mind that I had diagnosed and fixed the problem myself 25+ years ago, they "knew" the problem wasn't the inadequate u-joint.
I vaguely remember that thread. I wonder if it was a one-year issue? I had an '88, and currently have an '01, neither of which has ever had any issues with U joints.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,332  
Aaah, the days of "change from your dollar". And the whole menu fit on one signboard unlike today where they have 3 or 4 huge monitors which rotate thru the menu choices, often times so fast that by the time you find what you're looking for the screen has changed. And they really like to push the combo meals that, often as not cost more than if you'd bought the items separately.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,334  
Remember when a place like this was the hot spot to hang out at on Friday and Saturday nights? Lots of hot cars and hot women riding in them. Most of the car hops were pretty nice too.

Bowers Drive-In .jpg

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,335  
We had a local drive in that lasted more than 70 years... it kind of had a rebirth in the 80's when Friday night the old cars would show up...

I drove by today and the lights were lot... back in High School always lines.

On cold nights they turn on heaters blowing out from the outside order windows...

Guess nothing lasts forever but a few told me they no longer feel safe going there...

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,336  
Remember when a place like this was the hot spot to hang out at on Friday and Saturday nights? Lots of hot cars and hot women riding in them. Most of the car hops were pretty nice too.

View attachment 857410
I remember the local Drive In had the best cheese burger that I've ever had. I've looked high and low and tried to make my own, close but no Cigar (cheese burger).
For a buck twenty five you got a large fry and pop and the cheese burger.
It was big. Part of it was the bun. The bun was large but flat with a really good texture. It was strong enough not to fall apart but also tender. It had a yellow color to it.
The patty wasn't thick but it stuck out all the way around the bun. For the size of the burger it had to be a half pound of lightly seasoned beef.
Nice thick single slice of processed cheese which I've never found anywhere else.
But it was the sauteed onions that were the making of this culinary masterpiece.
A big scoop of onions that were perfectly spiced and had just the slightest crunch in the middle.
Friend of mine liked it with bbq sauce. Me just a little mustard and when in season a large slice of local tomato.
Talk aboot "Burger in Paradise."
The burger Itself was $0.85 and as a teen I was know to get the combo and 2 on the side.
And I was slim.
Stuffed and happy.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,337  

View attachment 857410
Friendly Foster's Fourteen Cent Hamburgers on South Michigan St. in South Bend when I was a kid.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#1,339  
Green’s Drug Store in Peoria, Illinois.

Everyday in Summer, me and a couple friends would bike to baseball practice at 10am. After practice, we’d go to Green’s Drug Store and sit at the counter for lunch.

2 cheeseburgers, fries and a cherry Coke. I’m not sure of the price as they would run a tab for each kid and bill the parents each week.

We kids thought we were kings of the world - and one day we’d play for the beloved STL Cardinals!!