You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,321  
I was in high school when the latest fad was 3D movies where they gave you a cheap pair of glasses with lens of different color.
Pretty neat at the time.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,322  
Imax theatre's? Still never really understood that hype.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,323  
I have, especially on my '91 Dakota.. It was quite a discussion a while back... everyone told me that the reason the tiny u-joints didn't get greased properly was because the driveshaft was bad.
Missed that discussion probably cuz I didn't have my cheaters on lol

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,324  
Missed that discussion probably cuz I didn't have my cheaters on lol
The u-joints were so tiny that you would have to pull the drive shaft to put a gun on them. Instead they put the zerks in the end caps. I was having them changed every 4000 miles- at the time, I was traveling 1000 miles/week. Oddly enough, that wasn't covered by the drive train warranty.
Everybody insisted the driveshaft was bad yet if that were the case it would vibrate going down the road.
After about a year of paying people to change them every month I got smart and pulled the drive shaft myself. The month old needle valves on the far end from the zerk were bone dry and had never gotten any grease. Why the mechanics who changed them multiple times didn't figure that out is a mystery. Several times I had them done at the Dodge dealership, as I was at a loss why it was such a frequent repair.
My solution was to grease it before putting it together, forcing grease in much as you would a bearing. I got a year/50k miles from them that way, although I could have gotten more if I'd taken it apart periodically.

I mentioned it here a while back and once again, everyone told me that the drive shaft was bad. Never mind that I had diagnosed and fixed the problem myself 25+ years ago, they "knew" the problem wasn't the inadequate u-joint.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,325  
Imax theatre's? Still never really understood that hype.
Go to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry and watch an IMAX movie in the giant domed theater. Pretty impressive. ;)

We got a tour of it many years ago, then got to watch The Rolling Stones IMAX concert movie.

For you non-Stones types, there are also some great nature and science films there.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,327  
The u-joints were so tiny that you would have to pull the drive shaft to put a gun on them. Instead they put the zerks in the end caps. I was having them changed every 4000 miles- at the time, I was traveling 1000 miles/week. Oddly enough, that wasn't covered by the drive train warranty.
Everybody insisted the driveshaft was bad yet if that were the case it would vibrate going down the road.
After about a year of paying people to change them every month I got smart and pulled the drive shaft myself. The month old needle valves on the far end from the zerk were bone dry and had never gotten any grease. Why the mechanics who changed them multiple times didn't figure that out is a mystery. Several times I had them done at the Dodge dealership, as I was at a loss why it was such a frequent repair.
My solution was to grease it before putting it together, forcing grease in much as you would a bearing. I got a year/50k miles from them that way, although I could have gotten more if I'd taken it apart periodically.

I mentioned it here a while back and once again, everyone told me that the drive shaft was bad. Never mind that I had diagnosed and fixed the problem myself 25+ years ago, they "knew" the problem wasn't the inadequate u-joint.
Sounds like a fine cripesler product.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,328  
IMG_0853.png