You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,093  
Anyone have skylights (sunroofs for homes) that leak?
When I moved into our present house, there were Lexan dome skylights on our master bath from the 1960's or early 1970's. The Lexan had cracked and was leaking, but the curbing was all soldered copper-flashed 1x6 pine, and solid as could be. So, I just ordered up a new pair of lights to fit the existing curbing, which might have been a custom size in 2011. Only challenge was attachment method, as all modern skylights use 2x6 or 2x8 curbing, not 1x6 as must've been more common years ago. In any case, a little interior trim work to build out the curb, installed, and never a bit of leak since... fingers crossed! Roof on that part of the house was replaced ca.2013, but again, copper curbing was good enough to leave it alone.

I think that most skylight leaks are the result of bad curb design or implementation. Use copper and solder, if you can afford it. If not, at least overlap your aluminum in such a way that the inevitable adhesive or caulk failure will not cause a leak.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#1,094  
Speaking of skylights and leaks, you know you are old when you do not go up on a ladder on the roof anymore.

I know of more than a few guys who have fallen and have never been the same physically.

There comes a time when certain chores you did as a kid are no longer very good for you and it’s time to find help.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,095  
Speaking of skylights and leaks, you know you are old when you do not go up on a ladder on the roof anymore.

I know of more than a few guys who have fallen and have never been the same physically.

There comes a time when certain chores you did as a kid are no longer very good for you and it’s time to find help.
Isn't that why you have kids? :D

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,096  

Had a new roof put on the house and barn couple years ago.
There was a time when I never would have dreamed of calling someone else in.
I have become much more gravitationally aware as I age.
Too many older people kick off after breaking a hip in the bathroom. I don't want to do it from the second floor.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,097  

One of the reasons I went from a wood-burning stove to a pellet stove. Don't have to climb up on the roof once a month to clean the stove pipe.