YM 3110 D Steering Column Seal Replacement

/ YM 3110 D Steering Column Seal Replacement #1  

rwpiatt

Tractor
Yanmar YM 3110D
My YM 3110 D developed an oil leak just below the steering wheel. After some research I dug into it, and removed the steering wheel and steering column, and found a bad seal at the bottom of the steering column just above a roller bearing. The bearing came right out, but I can't remove the race to remove the bad seal. Has anyone had this problem? Do i need to apply heat to remove the race? In case the race is damaged during removal is a replacement available?

IMG_0683 (1).jpg

/ YM 3110 D Steering Column Seal Replacement #2  
At the risk of sounding stupid I must ask, is yours power steering? Also, pictures can be deceiving to me, but, looks like that seal should come right out of there. "IF" yours is power steering you can go to the 336 parts manual and see a breakdown of your parts.

/ YM 3110 D Steering Column Seal Replacement
At the risk of sounding stupid I must ask, is yours power steering? Also, pictures can be deceiving to me, but, looks like that seal should come right out of there. "IF" yours is power steering you can go to the 336 parts manual and see a breakdown of your parts.
Thanks for your reply. My YM 3110 is power steering. The shop manual I purchased from Hoye Tractor is for the 336. The steering shown in the shop manual is different than my YM 3110 steering so the parts breakdown in the shop manual doesn't match what I have. I also purchased the parts manual, but it's all in Japanese. Mostly useless for me.

Last edited:
   / YM 3110 D Steering Column Seal Replacement #4  
Thanks for your reply. My YM 3110 is power steering. The shop manual I purchased from Hoye Tractor is for the 336. The steering shown in the shop manual is different than my YM 3110 steering so the parts breakdown in the shop manual doesn't match what I have. I also purchased the parts manual, but it's all in Japanese. Mostly useless for me.
You can indeed read the Japanese in those parts manuals. :)

Image to English via Yandex OCR.

/ YM 3110 D Steering Column Seal Replacement #5  
And over at the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group, we have a few of the Yanmar PS manuals. Bet one of them is the one on your machine.

/ YM 3110 D Steering Column Seal Replacement #6  
I shall assume i was wrong in thinking your picture indicates the seal should come out.

Hopefully this is a better angle. In the photo, there is a metal retainer that holds the seal in place. The retainer also is where the roller bearing rests. Try as I may, I cannot get the metal retainer out so that the seal can be removed. I wonder if applying heat may allow me to tap it out from the top.IMG_0709.jpg

And over at the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group, we have a few of the Yanmar PS manuals. Bet one of them is the one on your machine.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I shall assume i was wrong in thinking your picture indicates the seal should come out.
I've posted a better photo above.