Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #1  

chuck9832

Tractor
Yanmar 226D
Hello everyone I am brand new here the site was recommended to me by Hoye tractor. So here's my situation I have a 226D that lost oil pressure. While diagnosing the problem all lube oil line banjo nuts were checked no obstructions, pulled the oil pan and suction pipe/screen it and the pan were clean no blockage or sludge,removed the oil pressure regulating valve disassembled again no obstructions. The next step was to go into the timing gear cover where I found that the oil pump had come apart and got caught up in the governor weight assembly and bent it up. I have replaced the governor weight assembly and the gear driven oil pump with new parts. The problem that I'm experiencing is no oil flow, I went back into the timing gear cover just to make sure things were assembled correct which they were put it back together and still no oil flow. After talking to Hoye Tractor today searching parts I questioned if the new oil pressure regulating valve came with shims as specified in the Yanmar Manual and was told the the flow was controlled by how far the spring tension nut is screwed into the oil pressure regulating valve. When I disassembled the valve I didn't pay any attention to how many turns it took to get the nut out therefore have no idea what position it should be in does anyone have knowledge or experience with the oil pressure regulating valve? Thank You

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #2  
Hello everyone I am brand new here the site was recommended to me by Hoye tractor. So here's my situation I have a 226D that lost oil pressure. While diagnosing the problem all lube oil line banjo nuts were checked no obstructions, pulled the oil pan and suction pipe/screen it and the pan were clean no blockage or sludge,removed the oil pressure regulating valve disassembled again no obstructions. The next step was to go into the timing gear cover where I found that the oil pump had come apart and got caught up in the governor weight assembly and bent it up. I have replaced the governor weight assembly and the gear driven oil pump with new parts. The problem that I'm experiencing is no oil flow, I went back into the timing gear cover just to make sure things were assembled correct which they were put it back together and still no oil flow. After talking to Hoye Tractor today searching parts I questioned if the new oil pressure regulating valve came with shims as specified in the Yanmar Manual and was told the the flow was controlled by how far the spring tension nut is screwed into the oil pressure regulating valve. When I disassembled the valve I didn't pay any attention to how many turns it took to get the nut out therefore have no idea what position it should be in does anyone have knowledge or experience with the oil pressure regulating valve? Thank You
The expert is 'thepumpguysc' member here.

Another option is, turn the screw until you are satisfied the flow is good. ;)

I take it your machine is a YM226 and not the YT226 nor the AF226/EF226 model?

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow
Yes my tractor is a YM226D and the problem is that I have no oil flow at all

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #4  
The Yanmar service manual for the YM226(D) tractor says
engine oil pressure should be between 36-57 PSI.
Add shims to increase pressure; each shim raises the
pressue 2.5 psi.
To test your pressure remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a pressure gauge of the appropriate range.
I believe the size is 1/8" pipe thread.

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #6  
To test your pressure remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a pressure gauge of the appropriate range.
I believe the size is 1/8" pipe thread.
I put a gauge on temporarily when I suspected the oil sender was bad. (it was). rScotty here had said Yanmar used BSP (British) threads, similar to USP but less deep groves and more taper. Or something like that.

Experimenting with an assortment of USP fittings etc about half of them were to fat to start threading into the block. I ended up using a brass fitting assuming that would do the least damage to the block's threads, then a USP tee and gauge.

p1550937roilgauge-jpg.144606

Post where I used that photo. Also, I started that thread with measurements of normal temperature at head, block, etc that some might find interesting.

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #7  
I put a gauge on temporarily when I suspected the oil sender was bad. (it was). rScotty here had said Yanmar used BSP (British) threads, similar to USP but less deep groves and more taper. Or something like that.

Experimenting with an assortment of USP fittings etc about half of them were to fat to start threading into the block. I ended up using a brass fitting assuming that would do the least damage to the block's threads, then a USP tee and gauge.

p1550937roilgauge-jpg.144606

Post where I used that photo. Also, I started that thread with measurements of normal temperature at head, block, etc that some might find interesting.
ARGHHH. I'm a machinist, so maybe that's why the above post bugs me. Or maybe it's because the wrong designation is used for the threads, a designation that doesn't even exist for the threads being discussed. And folks looking for fittings might get confused. The author using USP must mean NPT and BSP to mean BSPT. So I will try to clarify things a little bit.
NPT stands for National Pipe Tapered. Which is short for National Pipe Threads Tapered. Of course the nation in National is the USA.
BSPT stands for British Standard Pipe Tapered.
Of course there are many other pipe thread standards for each nation with different designations. But we are talking here about tapered pipe threads.
Both the British and USA threads have the same taper per foot, which is 3/4 inch per foot. The angle of each thread is different however. USA threads have a 60 degree angle while British threads have a 55 degree angle. They also have different thread pitches, the number of threads per inch, for the smaller threads, which are the most common on the equipment we use. 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8" are the most common threads on the relatively smaller machines we use. The British threads are finer by one thread than USA threads. 1/8-28 British vs 1/8-27 USA, 1/4-19 and 3/8-19 British vs 1/4-18 and 3/8-18 USA. This works out to .0013" and .0029" difference in pitch respectively. There are also differences in the crests and roots of the threads but they matter little. Since the threads are interference threads, which they need to be in order to seal, slight differences in pitch and thread angle matter little with short thread engagement and if the threads are able to deform so that they conform and seal.
Though it is best to have several threads engaged for mechanical strength and for reliable sealing a person could use NPT and BSPT threads together in a pinch, say for checking oil pressure. To do this the thread in the machine should be harder than the thread on the gauge or similar that is threaded into the machine. For example, a cast iron engine block and a brass pipe screwed into the engine block. Teflon tape or some other type of sealant and lubricant should be used. And the pressures should be low. Like less than 200 PSI. Don't try to measure 1000 PSI with only a thread or two engaged because things might get exciting.
Finally, after the long screed above, simplified, NPT=American Tapered Pipe and BSPT=British Tapered Pipe.
Eric

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #8  
... a person could use NPT and BSPT threads together in a pinch, say for checking oil pressure. To do this the thread in the machine should be harder than the thread on the gauge or similar that is threaded into the machine. For example, a cast iron engine block and a brass pipe screwed into the engine block. Teflon tape ...
At least I did the brass w/ teflon tape part right.

Thanks for the clarificaton on nomenclature.
... simplified, NPT=American Tapered Pipe and BSPT=British Tapered Pipe.

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #9  
At least I did the brass w/ teflon tape part right.

Thanks for the clarificaton on nomenclature.
You're welcome. I love it when folks help me out with stuff like this. When a person is looking for something online or over the phone it really helps to know what the something is called.
Eric

/ Yanmar 3t75ha Engine Oil Flow #10  
If it is spring loaded then the more the screw is backed out the lower the relief pressure will be on the plunger hence lower oil pressure.

It really sounds like your pump isn't primed and is not drawing from the sump. Just out of curiosity did you fill the pump on the outlet side with oil before starting? A dry oil pump often will not draw.

An old timers trick when ever rebuilding an oil pump is they would pack the pump gears with vaseline to ensure it had enough vacuum for that initial oil draw. I've used it before on a stubborn pump and it does work.