Yanmar 2420D

/ Yanmar 2420D #1  

YM2420D

Tractor
Yanmar 2420D
I have a yanmar 2420D that currently has 11.2-24 tires on the rear and 7-14 tires on the front. When doing a search I read that my tractor should have 6-14s on the front instead of the 7-14s (this is how I got it) I just ordered 7-14 since that is on there now and wanted to know it that's okay. I don't quit understand tractor sizing and number. I am under the impression that a 7-14 is just wider that a 6-14 but I'm not sure after more reading lol. Also my tractor is a 4wd model. Thanks for any help.

/ Yanmar 2420D #2  
In a perfect world a 7-14 tire would be the same as a 6-14 tire, just wider. In the real world it is possible (though not necessarily so) that the 7-14 tire is also a bit larger in outside diameter or overall circumference. I suggest you try to find the overall dimensions for the two tires. If the circumference is different it can cause a problem with a 4WD tractor as they're designed with a specific ratio between front and back in mind. Worst case would be the potential for tearing up your running gear, especially if used on paved surfaces.

/ Yanmar 2420D #3  
I have a yanmar 2420D that currently has 11.2-24 tires on the rear and 7-14 tires on the front. When doing a search I read that my tractor should have 6-14s on the front instead of the 7-14s (this is how I got it) I just ordered 7-14 since that is on there now and wanted to know it that's okay. I don't quit understand tractor sizing and number. I am under the impression that a 7-14 is just wider that a 6-14 but I'm not sure after more reading lol. Also my tractor is a 4wd model. Thanks for any help.

Ideallly you want to match the "rolling circumference" of the factory tires - both front and rears. If you don't know what you have or how to measure it, then just use your head and avoid winding up the drivetrain. If you just use your head it will be OK. Here's some hints:

Your tractor is 4wd Assist, not full time 4wd. Engage it when you need to get traction for short distances to get unstuck or to push into a hard spot ..... Just a few feet is enough....and then shift back into 2wd. Try to only use 4wd when you have a surfacr that allows tires to slip so the running gear can "unwind". If it is ever hard to shift OUT of 4wd you are fighting internal gear shaft windup. That's a warning sign.

Pay attention to those things and you can get by with slightly mismatched ftont to rear tires.
rScotty