X730 BATTERY ACCESS

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS #1  

sriddle1

Silver Member
Tractor
ACTIVE: JDX730 DAYS GONE BY: JD3010, JD790, JD425
Just purchased a used 2021 x730 in August with 46 hours, it took the place of my '93 425, a true workhorse. Anyway, I purchased the X730 after learning my 47" Blower and all the mounting hardware could be used except for the main Driveshaft coming up from the Mid-PTO. I liked the 425, a simple grill that could be removed for Battery Access, simple and quick.

Well, I used the blower about a month ago and thought I'll just put it on the CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger to be sure it's charged and ready for the next use. I'm always amazed at the John Deere Engineers, they came up with this new design where the entire engine hood hinges forward, but you'd think they would have tested that design with all the attachments, like the blower, especially for battery access, so, my question to X730 owners, can you just remove the entire hood, is there a release mechanism somewhere. I see the black grill is an integrated piece, sure hope I don't have to remove the entire blower just to gain access to the battery. If the battery ever died that would be a trick for sure..........

The first PIC shows the X730 with the Blower attached, the second shows the hood being restricted by the JD BM26236 FRONT QUICK HITCH = No access to battery, any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2557.JPG
    IMG_2557.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2559.JPG
    IMG_2559.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 130
   / X730 BATTERY ACCESS #2  
Doesn’t the hood detach on the front hinge?

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS
Just went through the Operator's Manual and you're right, back in the "Service Miscellaneous" section there's a procedure to remove it HOWEVER, looks like the hood needs to be in the full Upright Position before pulling forward and off the retaining bushing, I'll have a go of it tomorrow, anyone been through this drill. THANKS

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS #4  
If the X730 is is similar to my X540 you can see the hood pivots - and tell if the hood needs to open fully to slide out. On the X540 it is not full open to remove and I can remove hood with 44” plow on the tractor.

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS #5  
The front quick hitch made for the 425 fits and is usable on the x730.
Would a front quick hitch made for the x730 solve the problem?
Sometimes the old parts fit the new machine, but are slightly different.

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS #6  
Yes, the hood has to open all the way, and roll of the top of the curved tracks. Pay particular attention to the wire bundle which moves with the hood as it rolls up the tracks. I had to repair it several times, as the wire insulation was damaged by being pinched. Ultimately, I missed something, as my X740 spontaneously caught fire one night while parked inside, and did a lot of collateral damage. I was pretty sad. If I had it to do again, I would have paid a lot more attention to the condition of the wiring of that tractor! I can't say it was the headlight wiring, but it was something electrical on that tractor. I really liked it, but it ended up being very expensive! Though monumentally awkward, a battery disconnect would be a great idea on those!

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS #7  
   / X730 BATTERY ACCESS
If the X730 is is similar to my X540 you can see the hood pivots - and tell if the hood needs to open fully to slide out. On the X540 it is not full open to remove and I can remove hood with 44” plow on the tractor.
oldnslo, THANKs for the feedback........ Yes, I'm going to try and futz with it Tuesday, today is football day for sure + the temps will be up to 41 on Tuesday, NH is having very little snow this season. Once I get the hood off I'm going to take the CTEK Comfort Connect with Eyelets that can be permanently attached to the terminal connections and then fish it through somewhere for future access. I have this feeling come Tuesday I'll just bit the bullet and drop the Quick Connect and disconnect the hydraulic lines. Once that Comfort Connect is permanently attached, I won't have to worry about that again. did that on a JD 790 I had in the past. Too bad I didn't see that up front.

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS

MTGreen, Looks like you beat me to the punch-line, Yes the CTEK Charger comes with that attachment.

/ X730 BATTERY ACCESS
Yes, the hood has to open all the way, and roll of the top of the curved tracks. Pay particular attention to the wire bundle which moves with the hood as it rolls up the tracks. I had to repair it several times, as the wire insulation was damaged by being pinched. Ultimately, I missed something, as my X740 spontaneously caught fire one night while parked inside, and did a lot of collateral damage. I was pretty sad. If I had it to do again, I would have paid a lot more attention to the condition of the wiring of that tractor! I can't say it was the headlight wiring, but it was something electrical on that tractor. I really liked it, but it ended up being very expensive! Though monumentally awkward, a battery disconnect would be a great idea on those!

Yup, I thought I'd have to drop the Quick Disconnect and Hydraulic Lines Good to know, that saved me some investigative time. Not a good story though, I have a similar story involving a vehicle on a charger and something went wrong, wife was making those big homemade Pretzels and I called out to her "honey something is burning", within 5 minutes we found the car was smoldering, red hot fender well, etc. Volunteer Fire Department was here in 5 minutes, all 18 of them. THANK GOODNESS FOR VOLUNTEERS LIKE THAT, Very thankful to them and local Police. Car totaled but no collateral damage. I suspect ServePro was called in..........