Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #81  
The funny part is a 30year old truck is a 93’
Granted math was always my worst subject, but I thought that 2022 minus 30 would be 1992.
No matter, since the truck in question is 25 years old.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #82  
Granted math was always my worst subject, but I thought that 2022 minus 30 would be 1992.
But you can always buy the new model year, before the end of the actual year.

I bought a 2010 cummins in the fall of 2009.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #83  
Believe it or not, there are truck collectors.
And I am one. Own a 1952 Mack fire truck and a 1925 Mack AB fire truck.

I have been part of many "rescue" missions to get old trucks out of storage and running. It's not rocket science. Check the fluids; look for obvious issues like chewed wires and mouse nests in places like the intake manifold; replace/charge the battery; pump up the tires; for gas engines we pull the coil wire and turn them over to get oil up, diesels we just crank; check the brake system for fluid, broken hoses etc.; if it has been sitting we will use a five gallon container of fuel in lieu of the tank to avoid the old fuel issue; let them idle to warm up; move it slowly to see if you have any brakes or to find out which brake lining is frozen.

From what you have written I would not be the least bit surprised that this truck will run and drive just fine. All the comments about all of the rubber items needing replacement is just speculation. I have seen some pretty rusty and crusty rigs drive away and all the seals etc. were fine.

Given the very low mileage, if true, there are a couple of pretty wealthy collectors I know of who will probably be looking long and hard at this one. One collector in particular has a soft spot for anything IH and low mileage original trucks so I would be very surprised if he doesn't get this one. And these folks have the financial resources that most of us only dream about. Paying 40 or 50k is chump change to them.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?
Other than the old truck being a rolling oil leak from dried up seals, lets say all the rest worked.

It will eat more fuel than two new ones. At current fuel prices the operational cost difference could be put towards a newer one. Also just like tractors the newer trucks are generally much more productive at the tasks.

If you can get it cheap enough it may make sense.

The funny part is a 30year old truck is a 93’
Fuel would be the least of my worries, and in reality, that lower HP DT466 with no pollution nonsense on it will probably actually get the same or maybe even better fuel economy than the new ones, which are an over complicated, computerized mess. The older DT 466 can be worked on with basic tools and knowledge. Its a mechanical pump. The injectors are under $100 each. They are bombproof and run a long long time. The Allison MT series transmissions were simple and tough. The reman replacements are really affordable. The rest of the truck is pretty simple. The TC38 transfer cases are fairly easy to rebuild or find remanufactured.

That truck new would be north of $125,000.
I know, I‘ve seen the new ones.
Granted, theyre much nicer, but thats about $100,000 I dont have and would never spend on a farm/work truck anyway.

Last edited:

I changed it to 30 years old…..just for you.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #86  
Like some of you, I‘m always looking for farm equipment, machinery vehicles and trailers. Whether to buy or just learn or fun when its raining, etc.
I have various websites I peruse and stumbled across a very nice mid 90’s IH 4900 tandem axle truck. I couldnt believe how nice the paint was. No rust. Showroom conditions. Its going up for auction in March to the highest bidder, regardless of price.
I spoke to the auctioneer a bit. He bought it from a company In Arkansas. The surviving owner was closing the business and explained he bought the truck in the mid 90’s and parked it in a shed. The odometer reads 51 miles. Thats right 51 miles. No hour meter to at least help somewhat verify the odometer. He started the truck and ran it with me on the phone. Claims it runs perfectly. He said the owner did start & run the truck periodically to keep it lubed.

So it got me to thinking, if any truck was bought new, then sat for 20-25 years, it has to have some damage and it does.

I am making a list of what could be wrong with it, adding up the costs of said issues and contemplating a bid. Heres what I’ve come up with:

1. All tires have 100% tread, but are dry rotted and thats been verified.
2. Valve guide seals in engine probably brittle?
3. Gaskets dried (valve cover, oil pan, transmission main seal and……..)
4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)…..

On edit: changed to be more precise for jstpssng:)

I looked at a website that is sells older vehicles like that truck. The prices are over $50k in some instances.
Firehouse vintage
No, I would not pay $50K+ for a 30 yo truck that has 51 miles on the odometer.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #87  
Fuel would be the least of my worries, and in reality, that lower HP DT466 with no pollution nonsense on it will probably actually get the same or maybe even better fuel economy than the new ones, which are an over complicated, computerized mess. The older DT 466 can be worked on with basic tools and knowledge. Its a mechanical pump. The injectors are under $100 each. They are bombproof and run a long long time. The Allison MT series transmissions were simple and tough. The reman replacements are really affordable. The rest of the truck is pretty simple. The TC38 transfer cases are fairly easy to rebuild or find remanufactured.

That truck new would be north of $125,000.
I know, I‘ve seen the new ones.
Granted, theyre much nicer, but thats about $100,000 I dont have and would never spend on a farm/work truck anyway.

They went to electric injection in the 94 range. What year is this truck?

I wouldnt call 1993 “collectible” in commercial heavy trucks like this one. I see all kinds of much older trucks selling dirt cheap.
Now if youre talking Paccar Bros (KW, Pete) Autocar, Brockway, Diamond Reo, Pacific thats a different story. They will pull in $$$$

They went to electric injection in the 94 range. What year is this truck?
‘93.
They didnt go common rail until later

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #90  
Hope your not in a hurry if you get it.
Ever drive a DT 466 in a loaded tandem = gutless