Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #41  
Like some of you, I‘m always looking for farm equipment, machinery vehicles and trailers. Whether to buy or just learn or fun when its raining, etc.
I have various websites I peruse and stumbled across a very nice mid 90’s IH 4900 tandem axle truck. I couldnt believe how nice the paint was. No rust. Showroom conditions. Its going up for auction in March to the highest bidder, regardless of price.
I spoke to the auctioneer a bit. He bought it from a company In Arkansas. The surviving owner was closing the business and explained he bought the truck in the mid 90’s and parked it in a shed. The odometer reads 51 miles. Thats right 51 miles. No hour meter to at least help somewhat verify the odometer. He started the truck and ran it with me on the phone. Claims it runs perfectly. He said the owner did start & run the truck periodically to keep it lubed.

So it got me to thinking, if any truck was bought new, then sat for 20-25 years, it has to have some damage and it does.

I am making a list of what could be wrong with it, adding up the costs of said issues and contemplating a bid. Heres what I’ve come up with:

1. All tires have 100% tread, but are dry rotted and thats been verified.
2. Valve guide seals in engine probably brittle?
3. Gaskets dried (valve cover, oil pan, transmission main seal and……..)
4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)…..

Like some of you, I‘m always looking for farm equipment, machinery vehicles and trailers. Whether to buy or just learn or fun when its raining, etc.
I have various websites I peruse and stumbled across a very nice mid 90’s IH 4900 tandem axle truck. I couldnt believe how nice the paint was. No rust. Showroom conditions. Its going up for auction in March to the highest bidder, regardless of price.
I spoke to the auctioneer a bit. He bought it from a company In Arkansas. The surviving owner was closing the business and explained he bought the truck in the mid 90’s and parked it in a shed. The odometer reads 51 miles. Thats right 51 miles. No hour meter to at least help somewhat verify the odometer. He started the truck and ran it with me on the phone. Claims it runs perfectly. He said the owner did start & run the truck periodically to keep it lubed.

So it got me to thinking, if any truck was bought new, then sat for 20-25 years, it has to have some damage and it does.

I am making a list of what could be wrong with it, adding up the costs of said issues and contemplating a bid. Heres what I’ve come up with:

4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)…..
Okay here is my .25c worth IMO the air system is most likely to be your source of grief/heart burn/ulcers. If you are insuring it any rubber brake lines that look rough ,cracked weathered even rub marks if the DOT rules demand it will need to be changed out. Expect some trouble with brake pots....they are new but the rubber is still +/-25 years old now and will not last like "new new" now. The same could be said of all valves and "o" rings in the air system. If you do buy it get some lubrication into the air system before you move it anywhere. There are some products that will soften up/restore them. "safe-T-brake" is one used here in the winter to prevent icing. But it has some kind of lubricant added that ,for lack of a better word, "evaporates" with the methyl-hydrate. Ask around at a few different truck shops. If you get the name of a product from 2 or 3 different shops. That is the stuff to get. IMO 5 or 10$ in your air system can save a lot of headaches and scuffed knuckles
Not sure I would worry about valve seals if you have confirmation the truck was started and warmed up anywhere near regularly. Transmission pinion and axel seals are likely okay. These seals were not made in the 50s so they will be made from newer rubber they will likely last for some long time IMO
The fuel has been in it for +/-25 yers too.....algae.....water .....wax. If you don't drain the old fuel out [I wouldn't if there is lots of fuel in the tanks] Expect to put a set or two of fuel filters in it until the old fuel is used up
Parts are "cheap" labour is the killer in most cases. How much are you willing/able to do yourself? Do you need to use this right away? Or can you "make do" if something fails on it? do you need a 100% reliable unit from the start?
If it were me and I
1, needed/had genuine use for something like this
2, I could get it for anywhere near a reasonable price
I would jump on it. Then again from time to time I have been known to be both an impulse buyer/sucker for punishment
Good luck

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #43  

4. All fluids

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #44  

4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could
I’d fe

4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)….

I’d feel more comfortable bidding on a 25 year old truck with 300k than one with 50. Everything rubber is trash, the diesel in the tank is probably full of algae and the interior is gonna be super brittle.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #45  

4. All fluids

I have purchased several vehicles with low milage. The comments here should be taken seriously. Change all fluids. Change all fluids. Have the brakes checked thourally.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #46  
Not trucks, but I twice bought older low mileage cars.
That back in the 60's
Both MG's.
One a TD was 5 YO with burst frost plugs and very low mileage.
Replaced the engine and had me a long life good runner and later sold for twice my investment.

The other an MG B had slept under a back porch for 10 years (30,000 miles) and mother did not want her son to drive it.
That one cost me a battery and later some paint. I paid $3 K and drove it a lot and reluctantly had to sell later but for $6 K.

All to say, it can work out for the best.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #47  
Newer equipment often doesn't age well but at the right price it could be a great buy.

I picked up a lot of cars siting in sheds and barns 20-30 years with very little problems but they all had mechanical brakes, gravity fuel system, etc... the seals all leather... mostly Model T and A

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #48  
It’s not likely I’d actually buy it because someone would probably pay more than I would but wouldn’t have any problem with buying it.
On

4. All fluids

Believe it or not, there are truck collectors. Check out Mecum Auctions online. They are announcing an upcoming auction of heavy over the road trucks. Your truck with 51 miles on it may draw higher bids than you expect.

These deals turn up. A couple of years ago a ‘52 Chevy turned up in a barn in California. It had 42 miles on it as I recall - exactly the mileage to drive it home from the showroom. Locally here near Philly a Chevy dealer sold a Corvair after the owner of the dealership had kept it never driven and never titled for 30 years.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #49  
There was a VW bug convert the Dealer had in showroom for decades.

It was offered for sale with full factory warranty and 3.2 miles...

I just though it amazing a 30 year old car came with new car warranty...

I guess the buyer would have little worry regarding dried out seals, etc...

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #50  
An old trick, roll the odometer... One way to help tell is look at clutch/brake/gas pads. They should look brand new...