Wooden Fence Posts

/ Wooden Fence Posts #1  

Medic6340

Tractor
TYM T25
New member, & First Post. I’ve searched the forums, but it seems like I’ll need some time looking around before I know where to look. I’m looking to put in a couple hundred wooden fence posts, and am not interested in pounding them in by hand (I know, I’m lazy) , and feel that an auger is probably more then I need. What about a bale spear or a hollow piece of well casing pipe fastened to the FEL , would the down pressure of the loader (maybe some ballast weight in the bucket) be enough to push the spike or casing into the ground so I could then push a sharpened wooden post in?

Thanks in advance, and don’t worry about hurting my feelings…. I’m a total newbie to farming 🙂

/ Wooden Fence Posts #2  
I guess it would depend on how hard your ground is.

Can you rent a post pounder from any equipment rental shop nearby?

/ Wooden Fence Posts
We are on marsh ground, so soft clay. And there are no post pounders in any of the rental locations near me, I’ve already called and asked.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #4  
Rent an auger for a day or weekend?

/ Wooden Fence Posts
I’m planning on buying a PTO auger anyway, but it seems like a bit of overkill to auger 200 holes. I look all around me and see posts on the marshes that have been there for a hundred years, and know that they were pounded in by hand and a heavy fencing maul. So now trying to put a 2022 spin on the chore.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #6  
We installed 40 9’ reclaimed railroad ties 3’ deep in 1 day including adding 1 bag of concrete mix to each Post hole. Buried them flush the next morning in a couple hours. Monday morning we stretched 6’ chain link with the old Ferguson.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #8  
I’m planning on buying a PTO auger anyway, but it seems like a bit of overkill to auger 200 holes. I look all around me and see posts on the marshes that have been there for a hundred years, and know that they were pounded in by hand and a heavy fencing maul. So now trying to put a 2022 spin on the chore.
lol! The fence we removed was so old it had hand cut cedar posts. the barb wire was mostly rusted away. Many of the posts had fallen over from rot.

edit. If you go for the auger, make sure you have (or install) a PTO clutch. If you hit a big rock the auger stops. It is time consuming (shipping time) and frustrating changing a broken PTO shaft.

Last edited:
   / Wooden Fence Posts #9  
And here I'm about to put in a bunch of cedar posts once I get them cut down.... :cool:
But in my rocky ground it will be backhoe time.

/ Wooden Fence Posts
So this guy seems to be on the same page as me, but no follow up on how it worked….