Wire Rope

/ Wire Rope #21  
Another good thing about chain is the hook ends are easily installed without any wire splicing.

This hook has a more heavy duty latch mechanism. Amazon.com

I've not had any trouble with the slip hook coming loose on the log end.

/ Wire Rope #22  
Another good thing about chain is the hook ends are easily installed without any wire splicing.
You can also use an oval connecting link to install a grab hook anywhere you need, along the length of the chain. Always nice when you want a grab hook a specific length off your choker, for lifting the fore end of a log for dragging by your 3-point, etc.

/ Wire Rope #23  
I have a bucket full of 3/8" chains but the past few years have been almost exclusively using 1/4". They're much easier to work with and can handle a lot more tension than my L4240 can dish out.

I have a few chains that I made up with slip hooks like the ones below. Also made a short chain with two grab hooks like WranglerX shows for oddball applications. Regular slip hooks have such flimsy keepers and are about worthless.

/ Wire Rope #24  
Great... something else I'm going to need to buy, now. What to do with a half dozen regular slip hooks, now that you've obsoleted them for me? :D

/ Wire Rope #25  
I have bought choker cables, chain hardware, arborist equipment, ect. from these guys. They are squared away.
They can fabicate your cable exactly as you like (install thimbles and swage the ends).

Westech Rigging

/ Wire Rope #26  
Great... something else I'm going to need to buy, now. What to do with a half dozen regular slip hooks, now that you've obsoleted them for me? :D
Haha. I tossed mine in a drawer. Saw these on one of the tractor boards a couple years back and had to have some too. My BIL liked mine so I made up a chain for him as well. Pretty handy with a grab hook on one end and one of these on the other. The slotted angles on my attachments make it handy to use any chain ends - or none at all.

Attachments

• F Slot.JPG
    F Slot.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4647Small.JPG
    IMG_4647Small.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
   / Wire Rope #27  
I have at least two dozen hooks with those lever keepers, between various chains and tow straps. I can tell you not a single one of them has ever survived more than a few uses. They're all bent, distorted, jammed, or broken. I usually get around to grinding them off, if they're sewn into a strap, or replacing them with non-keeper hooks if they're on a chain.

I do like using chain as a choker, I have four made up with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other. I've found that the keeper really isn't necessary, if you lay the chain right when setting up to lift or pull. If you can't manage that, I'd bet WranglerX's mousing trick is more reliable and less frustrating, although I've honestly never tried that.

One bit of advice on chain is to standardize on a reasonable size, so that as you can build up a nice collection of chains and hooks that all work well together. If that's not reasonable for your situation, then you'll want to make up some short adapter chains, with a grab hook on either end that adapts from one size to the next. I went with 5/16", partly because my father already had a few 5/16" that I inherited and built from, but also because it's a reasonable compromise between strength and weight, for most of what I do. Yes, my winch pulls hard enough to break 5/16", so I can't be an idiot at the controls, pulling against a dead stop. But I've never broken one, and my back thanks me every time I avoid picking up long lengths of 3/8" chain.
I have slotted "hooks" on my loader also, BUT I try to get a way for using them as not to bend or distort loader..... Always try to pull from chassis locations....

/ Wire Rope #28  
I generally center the load on the loader. Not sure it's necessary, but have a feeling it could lessen the chance of tweaking the loader frame. I have no concern about using the center slot to grab any load. In the picture below, that 6' LandPride RFM on the L3200 is rigged that way because of the location it needed to be picked from. That weight with the chains at that angle placed a lot of stress on the rigging.

Attachments

• Deck Up.JPG
    Deck Up.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
   / Wire Rope #29  
Just ordered 4. Looking forward to trying them out on a few stacks of logs staged for this fall.

/ Wire Rope #30  
Try Tracto;r Supply they have all kinds of chain, cable and parts
to make what you want.
Personelly I would not use cable as over time the little strands
that brake off can stab you and it don't feel very good when that
happens and with a chain that don't happen but when you pinch
your finger using a chain you can howl!:giggle:

willy