Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Windows 11 #71  
More security theater and progression in the cybersecurity arms race it is then?

Personally I'd rather not keep anything of personal/irreplaceable value connected to the internet full time as there always flaws (even in the "new enhanced"/"patched" versions). If it's important it (or a backup) should probably be air gapped in my opinion - and preferably with with tightly controlled access to the physical air gapped system/backup.

Seen/heard of too many breaches (to include the OPM breach a several years ago) to have any faith in new software or patches..... particularly given the poor system/software engineering practices I've seen at many companies (of all sizes).

No matter how good a defense, unless it's paired with an effective offense the defense will be overcome sooner or later..... unfortunately it doesn't seem there's much interest/capability in prosecuting cyber-crimes/attacks unless it reaches a "newsworthy" level.....
I think it's like a lot of things: if somebody wants to steal your car they will, if they want to break into your house they will, and if they want to break into your computer they will. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to secure those things the best you can.

Prosecution can be hard because while you can usually track down who it is that doesn't mean you can do anything about it, plus it seems our police model is still stuck in the world of geographic jurisdictions, not to mention a general level of ignorance when it comes to digital crime. Unless something gets the attention of the federal government, most other agencies are ill equipped to deal with it. There's also the cost issue for all that. A top cybersecurity expert can make more than a doctor or a lawyer so hiring a team to work those kinds of cases gets pricey real fast.

/ Windows 11 #72  
I think it's like a lot of things: if somebody wants to steal your car they will, if they want to break into your house they will, and if they want to break into your computer they will. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to secure those things the best you can.

Prosecution can be hard because while you can usually track down who it is that doesn't mean you can do anything about it, plus it seems our police model is still stuck in the world of geographic jurisdictions, not to mention a general level of ignorance when it comes to digital crime. Unless something gets the attention of the federal government, most other agencies are ill equipped to deal with it. There's also the cost issue for all that. A top cybersecurity expert can make more than a doctor or a lawyer so hiring a team to work those kinds of cases gets pricey real fast.
...and then (a majority of) the cybersecurity experts hired decide locking things down to the point of being nearly useless for their intended function. o_O (Though occasionally it's possible to find some that are willing to think, educate, and work risk-based solutions).

Really comes down to picking your preferred poison - as the best a person can do won't always be good enough. Hence the need to inflict a cost on those who even attempt to engage in such actions... much like if someone breaks into the wrong house they may pay a final price.

Jurisdictions aren't much an issue since many cybercrimes are federal crimes, and thus fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI (granted them being appropriately & consistently resourced is an issue) ...and if it crosses international boundaries then it's still a federal government issue.

If anything, state and local jurisdictions could/should enable local law enforcement to deal with the "minor" local issues (e.g. locals causing problems for other local residents). ...really not that different of a situation than the transport & distribution of illicit drugs (in ways there's potentially more forensic information available for digital crimes given how few tend to happen without one or more networks being involved).

/ Windows 11 #73  
dont get me started on fixing roads....but a good spin off of this thread.... there grinding and repaving a road near me that was in 100% perfect condition. not a crack or pot hole on it. but just north of it is a road thats been patched so many times its nearly undriveable and thats not on their list of future road repairs. i have a feeling theres a county commissioner on the road being paved.

/ Windows 11
   / Windows 11 #75  
Windows 11 preview:

"Anyone with one of the newer chips should have no trouble installing Windows 11 via the Insider program. Outside of the Insider Program, the latest word is that standard upgrades to Windows 11 from Windows 10 won’t be available until 2022. My take is that Microsoft really doesn’t want users to upgrade to Windows 11—it wants them to buy new PCs."

Microsoft Windows 11 Preview
Could be, especially since Microsoft is giving away the Windows 11 upgrade for free like they did with Win10. But then having users on a modern, secure platform creates a lot of savings all by itself.

/ Windows 11 #76  
Been a Microsoft Tech\Engineer for 25 years-there is always haters and complainers:) If you want it upgrade to it, if you dont, you dont. Dont need to preach your whys and whynots to others nor do you need to put them down.

I still dont like Linux very much and unfortunately-Micky soft is going the way of Linux...which I really don't want to happen.

Say good bye to the GUI...say hello to powershell and you will all be fine.

/ Windows 11 #77  
...and then (a majority of) the cybersecurity experts hired decide locking things down to the point of being nearly useless for their intended function. o_O (Though occasionally it's possible to find some that are willing to think, educate, and work risk-based solutions).

Really comes down to picking your preferred poison - as the best a person can do won't always be good enough. Hence the need to inflict a cost on those who even attempt to engage in such actions... much like if someone breaks into the wrong house they may pay a final price.

Jurisdictions aren't much an issue since many cybercrimes are federal crimes, and thus fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI (granted them being appropriately & consistently resourced is an issue) ...and if it crosses international boundaries then it's still a federal government issue.

If anything, state and local jurisdictions could/should enable local law enforcement to deal with the "minor" local issues (e.g. locals causing problems for other local residents). ...really not that different of a situation than the transport & distribution of illicit drugs (in ways there's potentially more forensic information available for digital crimes given how few tend to happen without one or more networks being involved).
Businesses have to protect itself in many ways, external threats, internal threats and disasters. Lock down is a must...my last organization was locked down so much that to work on a server or server issue you had to have a valid trouble ticket. then you logged into a vault app using a token app and valid cert. Once you are approved you use the vault to remote into the server with the valid tokens and password that is only good for up to 7 hours. Once you logged everything you do is recorded :)

No more super users or root admin gods! That is if your origination is up to date on security...if not god help you-especially with ransomware on the rise.

People at home need to be aware and as a minimum use two step security....We are ALL being watched. Always remember your conversions on your phones are being recorded and monitored for keywords by software bots. Its not just your computer..Even our TV is watching us lol.

/ Windows 11 #78  
Businesses have to protect itself in many ways, external threats, internal threats and disasters. Lock down is a must...my last organization was locked down so much that to work on a server or server issue you had to have a valid trouble ticket. then you logged into a vault app using a token app and valid cert. Once you are approved you use the vault to remote into the server with the valid tokens and password that is only good for up to 7 hours. Once you logged everything you do is recorded :)

No more super users or root admin gods! That is if your origination is up to date on security...if not god help you-especially with ransomware on the rise.

People at home need to be aware and as a minimum use two step security....We are ALL being watched. Always remember your conversions on your phones are being recorded and monitored for keywords by software bots. Its not just your computer..Even our TV is watching us lol.
very, very true -- though I've also seen cases where the lock down has been such that the core functions of the organization have been so negatively impacted that any opposition the organization may have could only wish they could be so effective.

E.g. attempting to require a system to go to a login screen (obscuring all other information) for changing users ....even though the system was actively being used to remotely control a vehicle in motion/flight.

While the cyber-landscape isn't always the friendliest of places, there's also no reason to blindly apply "solutions" that can cause worse (potentially life-threatening) problems. ...and when it comes to some items the end-user needs to be able to assess the risks of updating (or not) -- or when to update. ...which in my experience isn't something most designers (or even all "leaders") seem to consider.

Granted most home users aren't going to be using their personal computers for such uses (I'd hope 🤞 ), but outsourcing personal security (whether physical or cyber) decisions always seems like a bad idea to me. 🤷‍♂️

/ Windows 11 #79  
Been a Microsoft Tech\Engineer for 25 years-there is always haters and complainers:) If you want it upgrade to it, if you dont, you dont. Dont need to preach your whys and whynots to others nor do you need to put them down.

I still dont like Linux very much and unfortunately-Micky soft is going the way of Linux...which I really don't want to happen.

Say good bye to the GUI...say hello to powershell and you will all be fine.
I thought they were restricting the update to newer pc's. It sounds like you're saying anybody that wants it can get it. My desktop is older with an i7 cpu, but w11 is not an option. The irony is they are probably claiming to be environmental, but this policy will send a large amount of electronics to the trash heap.

/ Windows 11 #80  
I thought they were restricting the update to newer pc's. It sounds like you're saying anybody that wants it can get it. My desktop is older with an i7 cpu, but w11 is not an option. The irony is they are probably claiming to be environmental, but this policy will send a large amount of electronics to the trash heap.
The upgrade will eventually be available to anyone who wants it but you can stay on Win10 if you want. It'll be supported until 2025 which will be 10 years since it's release. Nobody is sending a PC to the landfill because it won't run the yet-unreleased Windows 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.