Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Windows 11
What exactly is a Microsoft account? Is it simply a Hotmail/Outlook email address or is it something else? What would you do with it once it's set up, or is it just a way to identify you when it tracks you?

I'm not a MS hater by any means, but Win 10's tendency to phone home has been a deal killer for me and this promises to be worse if what's reported comes to pass. Alas, Windows is the best of a sorry lot...Linux is just too user unfriendly and I want nothing to do with Appple.
It's a way to give Microsoft control of your Internet life. ⚠️

What is a Microsoft account?

/ Windows 11 #52  
I just saw this.

Apparently Win11 needs TPM engaged to turn on your Win11 license and to get any downloads or updates from MS. But the concern is that MS can then control everything about the PC. like is done now in a corporate environment. Not much different than using your PC as a remote terminal.

Older PC's don't have a TPM module so this forces them to be scrapped (or never load Win11).

Anybody know more about this? Is it as bad as this writeup describes?

/ Windows 11 #53  
Yep, two different things.

At the office we just upgraded to Windows 10, build 20H2. Which basically fixes all the glitches in Windows 10. Now they're going to Windows 11, to then discover all the new glitches.

I wish they would stop improving things.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

/ Windows 11
BAD NEWS: This new requirement could be a Windows deal-breaker for many folks! The Windows 11 Home version will require a Microsoft account to activate it! (n) Personally, I've never opened a Microsoft account. I try to avoid their software like the plague. Over the decades I've had to spend countless days debugging their untested software and seeking solutions from their arrogant staff. The only reason I use Windows is the absence of a viable OS alternative. Hopefully in the near future that will change.

Microsoft will require an internet connection and account to activate Windows 11 Home
MORE BAD NEWS: Windows 11 requires a PC to be installed with a relatively unknown security chip, called the Trusted Platform Module 2.0 (TPM). PC users with older machines are out of luck. The TPM 2.0 technology was released in October 2014. As a result, Microsoft’s own director for OS security, David Weston, notes that only CPUs from the last five to seven years will possess the security chip.

To Upgrade to Windows 11, Prepare to Dig Into Your PC's BIOS

/ Windows 11 #56  
LibreOffice is great. No ads. It's well worth your time to read the Wikipedia description, then try it out. If you want free software without the Microsoft fees this is the best alternative.
It does work well. If you know your way around Word, Excel, etc. you shouldn't have any trouble with this.
If you have a WD 'My Book Live' internet-accessible drive on your home network unplug it immediately!!! They are being remotely erased. Cause unknown.
From the article you linked to it appears this is an older device, first released in 2011, most recent firmware dated 2015. I wonder how many are still in use?

I have a couple WD "My Books", but they're USB drives, not network ones. The WD NAS I have is called My Cloud, and the article makes no mention of security issues with this. Even that is probably 5 years old.
I wonder how the hacker knows it's there, maybe there's some sort of remote access capability?

/ Windows 11
The WD NAS I have is called My Cloud, and the article makes no mention of security issues with this. Even that is probably 5 years old.
I wonder how the hacker knows it's there, maybe there's some sort of remote access capability?
Ditto ... I also have a My Cloud and I'm concerned it could be hacked even though, like you said, there is no mention of it in the article. I use an excellent, free, open source sync program called FreeFileSync to quickly back it up to an external hard drive daily. So even a hacker zaps the My Cloud, recovery of all the data would be possible.

FreeFileSync

/ Windows 11 #58  
If anyone is curious ...

Like my note above about WD's internet-accessible drives, I haven't looked into this beyond just noticing articles that some here may find applicable. For me, I don't plan to run Win11 or even a network drive

/ Windows 11 #59  
What exactly is a Microsoft account? Is it simply a Hotmail/Outlook email address or is it something else? What would you do with it once it's set up, or is it just a way to identify you when it tracks you?

I'm not a MS hater by any means, but Win 10's tendency to phone home has been a deal killer for me and this promises to be worse if what's reported comes to pass. Alas, Windows is the best of a sorry lot...Linux is just too user unfriendly and I want nothing to do with Appple.
Yes, it’s the same and simply provides a way to verify who you really are. To fully use an Android device or iPhone you need either a Google account or Apple ID (respectively) so this isn’t really much different. That along with TPM are just ways to increase security but it’s a thankless task. If somebody like Apple leaves a device vulnerable and a user gets hacked then the user complains that Apple isn't secure. If Apple than cranks up security, that same user complains it’s either too difficult to use or part of some conspiracy to spy on them.

I’d also say that if you have any kind of smartphone or use any social media at all whatsoever, having Windows ocassionally phone home should be the least of your concerns. Heck, even my GM car checks in from time to time.

/ Windows 11
If anyone is curious ...

Like my note above about WD's internet-accessible drives, I haven't looked into this beyond just noticing articles that some here may find applicable. For me, I don't plan to run Win11 or even a network drive
Thanks for the link. Hopefully that app will be available in the Fall when Windows 11 becomes available. If Microsoft thinks many folks are going to buy a new PC for Windows 11 then they are delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.