Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Windows 11 #112  
Marketing. That's the main reason.
Also deals done between MS and the PC and laptop suppliers to ensure Windows is installed on nearly every PC sold.
To a lesser extent its also the technical illiteracy of the general population. By general population I include most users plus business managers and politicians. And of course its hard for the public to achieve technical literacy when the technology changes so rapidly.
Mike

Marketing? maybe... but Mac doesn’t even allow their Operating system to be sold on other manufacturers desktops/laptops. I think all the manufacturers really are left with no choice other than Windows.

I know Windows is preferred for business type settings, due to the significantly lower cost and compatibility with active directory/exchange. Every company I’ve ever worked for IT wise, was 90% Windows.

Mac definitely has a large spot in the graphics design, animation, video editing, etc. Almost a cult like following in those fields.

/ Windows 11 #113  
I find it absolutely amazing that Microsoft is still the #1 operating system after all these years of pissing people off. Makes you wonder how the world works.
Like the old saying goes, it's the worst OS out there, except for all the others. Mac, despite a highly loyal fanbase never caught on with the public at large, Linux is too clunky and obtuse for anyone but hardcore computer nerds, what else is there? Cellphone/tablet OSes are fine for checking email or updating your Facebook page, but not very useful to do any real work.

/ Windows 11 #114  
Like the old saying goes, it's the worst OS out there, except for all the others. ... snipped ......
Linux is too clunky and obtuse for anyone but hardcore computer nerds, what else is there?
I cannot understand why someone would think that Linux is too clunky. It's got a wonderful choice of GUI interfaces, some are absolutely beautiful, most are much easier to understand and use than the latest Windows interfaces. All have easily configurable settings via a simple GUI. I use XFCE for my Desktop Xfce Desktop Environment Most users use a Gnome or KDE desktop. But some users actually do not like choice.

I cannot see how it can be described as obtuse. It's an operating system. If you mean that you don't understand it - well that's the same as Windows internals - you don't need to understand that to use it. Internally though Linux is a far better OS than Windows as it performs far better - runs faster, uses less CPU and memory, crashes rarely (usually only from hardware failure or a badly written, 3rd party, kernel driver).

Linux is used as the basis for most smart phones, Android tablets, all of the top 500 super computers, most IoT gadgets, TVs and fridges and most servers around the world. But the average users Desktop is still the domain of an old, clunky, poorly performing OS called Windows. That's what you can achieve if you have good marketing, a method of lock-in, use illegal tactics, and have customers who don't know what better options are available.

Mike

/ Windows 11
I cannot understand why someone would think that Linux is too clunky. It's got a wonderful choice of GUI interfaces, some are absolutely beautiful, most are much easier to understand and use than the latest Windows interfaces. All have easily configurable settings via a simple GUI. I use XFCE for my Desktop Xfce Desktop Environment Most users use a Gnome or KDE desktop. But some users actually do not like choice.

I cannot see how it can be described as obtuse. It's an operating system. If you mean that you don't understand it - well that's the same as Windows internals - you don't need to understand that to use it. Internally though Linux is a far better OS than Windows as it performs far better - runs faster, uses less CPU and memory, crashes rarely (usually only from hardware failure or a badly written, 3rd party, kernel driver).

Linux is used as the basis for most smart phones, Android tablets, all of the top 500 super computers, most IoT gadgets, TVs and fridges and most servers around the world. But the average users Desktop is still the domain of an old, clunky, poorly performing OS called Windows. That's what you can achieve if you have good marketing, a method of lock-in, use illegal tactics, and have customers who don't know what better options are available.

Mike
Last year I tried to migrate from Windows to Linux. I spent 1 month fighting the complexities then out of frustration called it quits and stayed with Windows. Will try the migration again if MS starts charging a Windows subscription fee. :(

/ Windows 11 #116  
Last year I tried to migrate from Windows to Linux. I spent 1 month fighting the complexities then out of frustration called it quits and stayed with Windows. Will try the migration again if MS starts charging a Windows subscription fee. :(
Bugger it didn't work for you. All the installs these days should go smoothly, pop in the DVD and click the start, answer the questions and it should be up and running. You can also use a "live" DVD to test how it will run without installing it.

/ Windows 11
Bugger it didn't work for you. All the installs these days should go smoothly, pop in the DVD and click the start, answer the questions and it should be up and running. You can also use a "live" DVD to test how it will run without installing it.
There are bigger issues than just installing from a DVD. A major criticism of desktop Linux, as of August 2021, DistroWatch lists 249 active distributions! Critics cite the large number as a cause for confusion to prospective users. Linux desktop is also criticized for the difficulty of developing third-party applications. Therefore, many Windows applications do not exist for Linux.

Criticism of desktop Linux - Wikipedia

/ Windows 11 #118  
I think money plays an important role in Windows' popularity. If we compare a Mac and a Windows machine with similar processing and storage capability, the Mac will be significantly more expensive. Most people don't care enough to pay the premium.

I haven't messed with Unix since the 90s, but it is my understanding that users typically buy a Windows laptop and then overwrite the OS with Unix. So there is no financial incentive, and there is more work involved. The user also has to be technical savvy and confident enough to essentially wipe out the hard drive on their brand new computer. Most people would just buy something that works and leave it alone.

/ Windows 11 #119  

Mike
Mike, the bold items in red are exactly why people say Linux is too clunky and nerdy. I have no idea what you are talking about with those terms. I would have no idea of how to change from one interface I don't understand (nor can even find a description of in layman's terms to describe what it does or doesn't do) to another that I don't understand either.
Probably most of the world still uses Microsoft is because they aren't interested in learning what all that nerdy stuff means and just put up with the MS crap that is provided.
So while you are comfortable with all that terminology and those choices, don't assume the rest of us are.

/ Windows 11 #120  
All too easy to install linux in a dual boot config. The GUI/interface is just the look, the part Windows keeps changing!

btw, Mac OS is built on a linux core and MS uses Unix on their own servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.