Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #792  
I read beginning Jan 2024 everyone gets a $7500 tax credit for buying an electric car.

The $7500 comes right off the price at the dealer. Buyer doesn’t even have to have any taxable income.
Are they gonna rebuild your house and garage when the EV burns down in the middle of the night?

/ Will UAW Strike? #793  
Man there is some hate for EVs. Now, let me say, I dont want one; but for many people it's not a bad option (if the $$$ make sense). The answer to a Lot of this stuff is, Yes: yes to EVs, yes to gasoline, yes to diesel, yes to propane, yes to hydrogen, yes to ammonia. Think of this like a power grip; you want a mix of coal, hydro, gas, nuclear, and Also wind/solar, wave action, geothermal, If it can work from a dollar figure.

/ Will UAW Strike? #795  
Batteries work good in situations where a long charging time is not a huge concern. Home back up with solar for example.

Batteries do not work good in transportation circumstances where fast charging is key, especially when the competition can do it in 10 minutes.

With interest rates so high, companies no longer find profitability with low volume EV's numbers. That is why tesla has to turn to volume and low prices to compete.

/ Will UAW Strike? #796  
Also, resistance to EV is not a new phenomenon, back in the early 1900s I’m sure quite a few people did not jump on the new technology “internal combustion” engine technology either and stuck with their horses until that technology was Cost efficient and reliable

/ Will UAW Strike? #797  
Also, resistance to EV is not a new phenomenon, back in the early 1900s I’m sure quite a few people did not jump on the new technology “internal combustion” engine technology either and stuck with their horses until that technology was Cost efficient and reliable
Electric starter made a big difference taking ICE mainstream… especially when it was standard on the least expensive models.

That said, Mrs Henry Ford kept her Detroit Electric and the car was charged from hydro from their own home generator at Fairlane…

/ Will UAW Strike? #798  
I dont think this forum is an accurate representation of the average American. I would guess the average American probably drives like 12000 miles per year, or only 1000/month; or about 100 per work day. An EV would probably work in a house hold like that, assuming the infrastructure is in place. It also would probably be fine for a lot of 2 car house holds, one fuel and one battery. Personally, I drive my work car about 4000 miles/month, my personal truck about 1000 miles/month, wife drives about 1500/month, and teenage son drives about 2500/month. There's a lot of people who live 10 miles from work, 5 miles from groceries, heck, they might go dang near a week on a single charge, or only need to top off charge 10-15% per night.

My Hope is EV competition push the conventional makers to innovate/improve, kinda like the Japanese makers did in 80s, and we ended up with better vehicles for the competition.

/ Will UAW Strike? #799  
Electric starter made a big difference taking ICE mainstream… especially when it was standard on the least expensive models.

That said, Mrs Henry Ford kept her Detroit Electric and the car was charged from hydro from their own home generator at Fairlane…
Once again I did say resistance……

Along with, electric starting became mainstream in the late 20’s early 30’s?

Not sure what one millionaires wife has to do with the electric vehicle dominance of the early locomotion….

/ Will UAW Strike? #800  
My brother ordered a new EV Silverado last year. He's been talking it up, etc. That's cool, it's his thing.

I told him when he gets it, 1 big thing to even try and convince me to even think of EV is a tow and distance challenge. His EV vs my ice truck. Both with the same load. Trailer with the mini.

Who can go the farthest.

Ironically he touts EV's as he's sitting at Walmart for an hour trying to charge up his volt cuz couldn't make it home. I told him in 5 minutes I can be back on the road