Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #91  
Have not been commenting because I know what is going to go down but suffice to say, my 'Insider' information comes directly from Ford corporate in Dearborn, Michigan. Remember who my BIL is.

Far as what transpires with the gummit and their push for EV's, that can all change abruptly with a change in the governing party.

Once again, the UAW will strike (coming soon) and the automakers will basically tell them to pound salt as their demands are totally unrealistic.

back on the side just reading along.

/ Will UAW Strike? #92  
Just saw on tv they are striking for 46% pay increase, a 3 day work week but paid for 40 hours.

So I guess by next year a base F150 will start at $200,000. LOL

/ Will UAW Strike? #93  
Fain must have increased the rate. Last time I checked it was a 40% wage increase, abolishment of the tiered wage system, 36 hour work week paid as 40 and a bunch of other pie-in-the sky BS.

Less than 8 days to go now.

It won't last long because no auto worker I know of can survive on 500 a week strike pay (before taxes)... and NO health and welfare.

My BIL will keep right on working because he's in upper-upper management at Fords. Of course he's not union either.

I'd put down what management thinks about the UAW but I cannot. Privileged information.

/ Will UAW Strike? #94  
I have always been curious if the UAW will end up like the UMWA back in southern Illinois, grand pa always said the union kept striking, and would eventually turn to brute force. The mines eventually up and closed down their doors. A few months later they reopened as non union, and as soon as any of the new work force even mentioned starting up a union they were walked out.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #95  
Current auto unsold, new inventory was up 68%, and over 100 days inventory for vehicles over $50k (currently 103 days for F-series trucks). Can't say Ford is gonna be upset to shut down for 60 days or 90 days. They can't sell expensive inventory, and they can't meet union demands, while making low profit, cheap vehicle. Seems like the manufacturers have the edge. The lovers, either way, is the consumer; either higher prices because failing inventory; or higher prices by paying their ransom.

/ Will UAW Strike? #96  
I have always been curious if the UAW will end up like the UMWA back in southern Illinois, grand pa always said the union kept striking, and would eventually turn to brute force. The mines eventually up and closed down their doors. A few months later they reopened as non union, and as soon as any of the new work force even mentioned starting up a union they were walked out.
The UMWA didn't have all the politicians on the payroll.

/ Will UAW Strike? #97  
The UMWA didn't have all the politicians on the payroll.
...and auto workers for the most part are overweight slobs. I know more than one. Most of them (not all) are lazy and do anything not to work, at work.

I used to deliver to auto plants (steel) and I could tell some stories about what I saw. FCA was the worst, followed by GM and then Fords. The foreign automakers that are here, their workers have a different attitude and of course are non union. Always liked delivering to Toyota and Titan Wheel (they make all the Kubota rims and mount their tires on them). Great folks that actually take their jobs seriously and get it done, unlike the Big 3.

Someday I might tell some stories of the grief I had to deal with. Just glad I was paid hourly.

A little tid bit... Chrysler Trenton Engine plant, you had to buy stale doughnuts for 5 bucks each to get the crane operator to unload you and even then he was slower than dirt. Buy the rock hard doughnut and toss it on the railroad track. Great place. Filthy inside too. Housekeeping is non existent. UAW workers don't give a hoot.

How about Fords Rouge stamping. Unload by appointment only and if you were a minute late you sat there all day. Always seemed like they were going on a break and the breaks lasted an hour. What saved my butt at Fiords was my BIL got me a Fords Special Vehicle Operations jacket with my name embroidered on it and when they saw that jacket, they knew I knew someone way up the ladder. You don't get that kind of stuff unless you are connected.

I've spent a lot of time (my own time) at Fords SVO in Dearborn. Pretty interesting place and not just anyone can get in either but I'm connected so it was all good.

/ Will UAW Strike? #98  
Back in the 70s, I had a trucking customer that was a parts manufacturer for several industrial equipment manufacturers. I delivered several loads of steel there and got to know the receiver pretty well. He was really happy working there, wages were well above average and the owner treated employees like family, great benefits, generous vacation time, big weekend picnic in the summer and lavish Christmas party. But a couple of people who had hired in were trying to get the union in to represent the workers. He was afraid it was going to damage the relationship with the owner and the employees. Sure enough, an election was scheduled to vote on union representation. A couple of days later the owner called everyone to the cafeteria and laid it all out in plain and simple language. He was not going to allow a union to interfere with his operation, and that no employees had ever complained about being mistreated or underpaid, and lastly if the union was voted in, he would immediately close the plant and move the operation to another of his non-union facilities. He said it wasn't a threat, it was a promise and he was a man of his word.
Well the union won the election held on a Friday. Monday when the employees showed up for work, the plant was locked up, and on Tuesday trucks, I was one of them, started hauling the machinery and material to one of his plants in southern Illinois. The receiver was there that day and said several of the employees that had opposed the union had been offered jobs at the Illinois plant with the company paying for moving costs and purchasing their homes at market price so they could relocate with little or no financial loss. He was going to take the offer, said it was the best job he's ever had.
So the moral of the story is be careful what you wish for.

/ Will UAW Strike? #100  
I've had two experiences with unions in my life.

Many years ago I worked for the MTO (Ministry of Transportation) in Ontario. They used to do all the highway plowing, sanding and maintenance. Just like the DOT in the States. Was a great place to work. Government job. Nobody worked hard. All kinds of benefits. Good pay.
Then they got greedy and went on strike for more money.
So all the government did was get rid of the whole operation and contracted out. Gone was the good pay to do that job and now we are stuck with crappy road conditions ever since.

Next was I worked for a friend that had the contract for all the wheel loaders in a mill.
A couple employees got the union in and organized, even though a bunch of us wanted no part of it.
The outcome of that one? They all cried afterwards when they found out that after paying their union dues they were now actually taking home even less pay than they were non-union.

I don't know. Maybe unions have some good points, but I only see them as protectors for the lazy people that would otherwise be rightfully fired.