Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL?

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #21  
I can see how a stump bucket could damage components of the FEL.

Everybody says - "use common sense". Most common sense comes from experience. Not learned by reading a book nor a web site.

I would tell anybody - it's not a RAM - it's not a PRY BAR. Start very small - gain experience. Go bigger slowly.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #22  
I think you would be happy with a stump bucket. I have a 3-tooth bucket made out of 3/8" steel plate and it has served me very well. I use it to cut all the perimeter roots, and then use the scoop to lift it up and out. I position it almost vertical, about 75 degrees, and then use the weight of the tractor to drive it into the ground and have never had an issue.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #23  
It all depends on the operator and using common
sense. An operator can tear up any equipment
without using common sense

willy

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #24  
IMO a stump bucket is no more apt to damage a FEL than an oversized bucket or most any other attachment.

Also don’t get hung up on will/wont absolutes. All devices have a finite number of cycles designed. If you nominally exceed the design parameters then you shorten the number of cycles until failure. If you grossly exceed the design parameters then you may destroy the component in a single cycle.

So if an operator uses the stump bucket harshly then it will accelerate wear & tear. If they use it very harshly then it could lead to rapid and catastrophic failure. If the operator uses it gently, it’ll likely have no adverse impact on FEL life. The FEL doesn’t magically realize a stump bucket is mounted and just decide to wet it’s pants in fear.

It all comes down to the nut behind the lever.

I plan to get a stump bucket, and I’ll try to find a relatively conservatively designed one (20-24”) to minimize stress on the FEL.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #27  
It broke mine, or maybe I should say WE broke mine. It takes 2 to tango. It was too dry and I was being too aggressive, I was a relative noob. I broke the SSQA plates, bent them down. In my defense they were bad welds that broke and I got the part replaced under warranty because of it. Regardless, I sold it afterwards.

Attachments

• KIMG0074.JPG
    KIMG0074.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,283

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #28  
Wow talk about a cold weld :oops::oops:

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #29  
Wow, zero penetration..

That would make me paranoid about every inch of weld on the thing, so i get just returning/refunding it.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #30  
All depends on one, the stump and two, how wimpy the tractor loader is and 3, the level of stupidity of the operator.