Widen Them Wheels

/ Widen Them Wheels #11  
Sometimes a tractor needs to fit between the rows. Set the track width to the need.

It's not that hard.

I agee... I had the dealer set my wheels as wide as possible and fluid fill all of them before I picked it up. Still wasnt wide enough so I made spacers to gain another 4.5" per side. Sidehill work feels much safer now.

/ Widen Them Wheels #12  
   / Widen Them Wheels #13  
When you widen the rears, is it necessary to widen the fronts? I have loaded tires but need extra stability on slopes

/ Widen Them Wheels #14  
When you widen the rears, is it necessary to widen the fronts? I have loaded tires but need extra stability on slopes

There's no point in widening the front since the front axle pivots. I've widened my rear tires to the max since I use my L4330 on my hill, but I haven't done anything to the front tires/axle except fill the front tires with water/RV antifreeze mixture.

/ Widen Them Wheels #15  

My fronts are widened as far as they go, which isn't as wide as the rears, but it sets their track close to the rears. Makes it easier to judge the right path when mowing, but not a lot of other value. Doesn't help with stability until you tip far enough that the front axle hits the stops, by which point it's likely too late to stop a turnover.

Terry

/ Widen Them Wheels #16  
Was thinking of making up my own set of spacers out of 4140. What is a good practical spacer width?

/ Widen Them Wheels #17  
Just wondering, does widening out the rears affect the 4wd function at all? Pardon my ignorance.
Changing the diameter of the front or rear wheels would screw up the 4wd, but widening them makes no difference.

/ Widen Them Wheels #18  
Widening is much more stable. On my 4440 it has duals and the rear is ten feet wide and the front is probably eight. It is as stable as can be. On my backhoe I keep them the same width as the bucket. It gets a little scary at times but I like knowing if my bucket fits my tractor will also. We are currently digging a pond and we make cuts across it the width of a bucket maybe 2-3 feet deep at a time. If the tires were wider than the bucket it wouldn't work.

You also have to think about implements. My 7' shredder was about useless with my 4440 because the tractor was ten foot wide and I couldn't get close enough to fences. Same thing with plows or blades they need to be wider than your implements.

/ Widen Them Wheels #19  
Mine are set to the max and I like it. Well until it's trailer time.

Attachments

• image-2890924042.jpg
    image-2890924042.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 214